Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
"Former President Donald J. Trump said Tuesday that he would continue campaigning for the White House even if convicted of a crime.​
In his first national media interview since pleading not guilty last week to 34 felony charges related to a hush-money scandal during his 2016 White House bid, Mr. Trump complimented the strongmen leaders of several other countries; attacked “sick, radical” Democrats; and indicated that not even a prison sentence would keep him from running for president.​
“I’d never drop out, it’s not my thing,” Mr. Trump said when asked on Fox News about a potential conviction."​

NYTimes

What is one to make of this?
What if this really happened?
Would this deter Trump supporters or would it embolden them?
Frankly I think they would still nominate him if he was sitting in Riker's Island right next to his COO.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Our system doesn't have a provision from disqualifying someone based on past/current criminal activity.

Marion Barry still ran (and won) despite being caught on camera in an undercover cocaine sting and going to jail. (granted, he wasn't campaigning from a jail cell), but still...

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What is one to make of this?
What if this really happened?
Would this deter Trump supporters or would it embolden them?
Frankly I think they would still nominate him if he was sitting in Riker's Island right next to his COO.
I would expect that millions of USA voters will still vote for D Trump even if he was convicted of crimes and sitting in prison.
They don't seem to care that he pardoned Bannon from stealing from the build a wall fund which was donations from the MAGA plebs.

They are happy for him to steal from them, to cheat them, to grift them, to let them rot in prisons (a.k.a. Jan 6 insurrectionists) while he pardons his elite wealthy and connected friends.

Upvote 0

Say it aint so

Jun 19, 2020
Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Our system doesn't have a provision from disqualifying someone based on past/current criminal activity.

Marion Barry still ran (and won) despite being caught on camera in an undercover cocaine sting and going to jail. (granted, he wasn't campaigning from a jail cell), but still...
That is the irony.
Still in some states, if you're a convicted felon, you lose the right to vote.
But if you're a convicted felon sitting in jail, you can be elected president of the United States.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That is the irony.
Still in some states, if you're a convicted felon, you lose the right to vote.
But if you're a convicted felon sitting in jail, you can be elected president of the United States.
It would be the first time in history that the USA presidential candidate won't be able to legally vote for himself.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It would be the first time in history that the USA presidential candidate won't be able to legally vote for himself.
Oh but come ON you know he'd get his lawyer to arrange a cardboard divider at a visit and snap some good PR shots for the base. Just dropping a piece of paper into a cardboard box

Upvote 0