Trump Remains Unpopular; Voters Prefer Obama on SCOTUS Pick

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Trump Remains Unpopular; Voters Prefer Obama on SCOTUS Pick
PPP's newest national poll find that although Donald Trump is a little bit more popular than he was during the campaign, a majority of Americans still have a negative opinion of him. 43% of voters view Trump favorably to 51% who have an unfavorable view of him. On PPP's last national poll, in late September, Trump's favorability rating stood at 39/55. Trump's popularity continues to pale in comparison to Barack Obama's. Obama ends his final year in office with a 50/45 approval spread. When it comes to the question of who voters trust more to pick the new Supreme Court justice, Obama beats out Trump 52-45.

Voters don't think that Trump's Electoral College victory while losing the popular vote is really fair- 50% think the candidate who receives the most votes nationally in the election should become President, to only 37% who disagree with that concept. Over the course of the campaign we found there was a cult like aspect to Trump's support, where any idea he put forth a substantial share of his supporters would go along with. We see that trend continuing post election. 60% of Trump voters think that Hillary Clinton received millions of illegal votes to only 18% who disagree with that concept and 22% who aren't sure either way.
What do you do when people don't believe in reality?

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Keep calm and keep praying, I guess.
I'll pray for education. It's one thing to believe in someone's policies, it's another to support someone because you believe something that is demonstrably false. Although can you be surprised when these are the same people that consider Obama to be a foreign-born Muslim?

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, you can see we are probably very different, but I still can't believe some people don't think Obama was born in Hawaii and think he is a Muslim. He and his family are Christians. He can't be President unless he's a natural-born US citizen.

Praying for education is also a good idea!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, you can see we are probably very different, but I still can't believe some people don't think Obama was born in Hawaii and think he is a Muslim. He and his family are Christians. He can't be President unless he's a natural-born US citizen.

Praying for education is also a good idea!

I agree about the praying about education.

Amen.

Upvote 0

Haramis

Dancing on Rainbows
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2012
✟57,966.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The thing that made the Birther conspiracy even stupider, was the fact that it wouldn't have made him ineligible even if true. His mother was a citizen. It did not matter what piece of land he was born on. Now if both of his parents had been from Kenya, yes. He would have needed to be born on US soil. But with an American mother, it never even mattered.

As for him being a Muslim. Look at his wife. Does Michelle Obama strike you as a submissive Islamic wife? Obama is clearly not a secret Muslim.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Maybe we should get rid of this antiquated, 18th century model of how to run a country and actually make sure that whoever gets the most votes from people who do decide to vote gets to be president of the country. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe we should get rid of this antiquated, 18th century model of how to run a country and actually make sure that whoever gets the most votes from people who do decide to vote gets to be president of the country. Just sayin'.

As long as we get rid of the Laissez Faire voting system at the same time I would be all for it. Let's ammend the Constitution so there is verified identification of voters electing a President by popular vote.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Maybe if we, as a country, did less praying and more thinking and voting we wouldn't have to pray for God to fix the problems we brought on ourselves. Just sayin'.

i believe in doing both.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Reality? Reality has it that Trump will be our next president and will be picking our next SCOTUS justice. Care to accept reality?

I accept it. I also think that the Republicans have set a dangerous, perhaps even stupid standard by waiting a year to fill a SCOTUS vacancy. I imagine if the Democrats take the Senate while a Republican is President, the SCOTUS could get down to zero justices and they won't confirm anybody.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
As long as we get rid of the Laissez Faire voting system at the same time I would be all for it. Let's ammend the Constitution so there is verified identification of voters electing a President by popular vote.
Voter identification in and of itself is not a problem, but when you propose such laws while limiting the types of identification accepted, close polling locations including limit hours to vote, close locations and limit the hours where people can obtain identification, and don't provide a system and service to get identification to people, talk of verified voter identification seems more about voter suppression than "rocking the vote." I would love to see mobile ID centers that travel around cities and rural areas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The thing that made the Birther conspiracy even stupider, was the fact that it wouldn't have made him ineligible even if true. His mother was a citizen. It did not matter what piece of land he was born on. Now if both of his parents had been from Kenya, yes. He would have needed to be born on US soil. But with an American mother, it never even mattered.

There's also the wrinkle that Ted Cruz is in the exact immigration situation in which the birthers claimed Obama was. Ted was:
Born in another country (Canada),
To an American mother, and
A non-American (Cuban) father.

And yet, barely a peep out of the conservatives... Where was Sheriff Joe to protest this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aachen_hexagon

Dec 6, 2016
California
✟21,283.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
i believe in doing both.

It's certainly too late for one of those choices now. But from what I understood Trump did very well with Evangelicals with less education, so I fear that those who prefer one over the other are actually responsible (in part) for Trump.

Upvote 0