Trump openly admitted on live TV to doing the thing he's accused of in the impeachment inquiry

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm confused.

I don't think that the public has any right to the content of conversation between the president and foreign leaders.

I believe that the president has the right to restrict the access to any of these calls to everyone, with the only exception being that there must be a record for the future, a tape with no access can meet this need.

The problem is Donald Trump asked a White House staffer to remove specific words and sentences so the public can't see quid pro quo before relasing it, which is a strong hint that he is hiding a crime.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm confused.

I don't think that the public has any right to the content of conversation between the president and foreign leaders.

I believe that the president has the right to restrict the access to any of these calls to everyone, with the only exception being that there must be a record for the future, a tape with no access can meet this need.

The issue with that is that there are people in the administration that need to know what the President and the other leader talked about and any agreements they reached. As has been pointed out, the President determines foreign policy and those that implement that policy (White House staffers, State Department personal, the DoD) need to know what those policies are, what things may have been promised or issues that our two countries may want to work on together.

To give an example of this, Trump did have a private discussion with Putin, at the summit in Helsinki, and apparently no notes were taken. A few days later, Russia made requests of our military, claiming that Trump had said we would do it -- and it was unclear if it was something Trump agreed to but never let anyone know, or if it was a misunderstanding of Putin's that he and Trump talked about but didn't agree to do. Or, if it was something that they didn't really talk about but Putin, knowing Trump didn't have any transcripts of the talks created, felt he could "fake" -- with Russia claiming it was in their transcript know Trump had no evidence that it wasn't talked about.

That isn't to say that a President can't have a private discussion -- just that it tends to be a bad idea. The point remains though, it still doesn't require any transcript to be placed on a Classified server; there are other ways to limit access without classifying it.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Apples & oranges

Israel's corruption perception index is twice as good as Ukraine's:

Corruption Perceptions Index - Wikipedia

Only for people who are afraid of being called anti-Semites (almost the entire planet) for calling out Israel's hypocrisy.

Israel is savage; the exiles and role as resource barons for the region should be enough to raise an eyebrow - not to mention the "removal" of those who bring up genetic Hebrew lineage, and their right to be in Israel.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's be clear. There is no such law. If Congress wants the right to review every conversation between the president and a foreign leader, then they should pass such legislation

Personally, I think that this is a terrible idea. It greatly limits the ability of the president to conduct foreign policy. Historically, One of the crucial tools of the president was private conversations with foreign leaders.

I'm sure that there is lots that the PM or president of a country might have said to Obama that they wouldn't have wanted the Republican leadership to hear. So, in 2019, it is just wrong (IMO) to require that a foreign leader to have all conversations with Trump receivable by Pelosi and Shumer.
=====
I think I understand your view of wanting to move to a greater role for Congress in foreign policy. I disagree.

I think another exception must be to accommodate the oversight role of Congress.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Nobody said Congress should review every conversation between the President and a foreign leader. This, however, is one that Trump MUST be impeached for, so an exception needs to be made. Even if there is a law like you suggested, the July 25 transcript would still be subject to a subpoena.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You saying so doesn't make it true.

My opinion is different than yours. I believe that Trump can call Putin on the phone and not disclose this to Congress, even under subpoena. Congress requires a record for historical purposes.

Nobody said Congress should review every conversation between the President and a foreign leader. This, however, is one that Trump MUST be impeached for, so an exception needs to be made. Even if there is a law like you suggested, the July 25 transcript would still be subject to a subpoena.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You implied that they should be able to monitor any conversation they want. If this were the case, then the president should allow no one to be on calls that he wants confidential.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You implied that they should be able to monitor any conversation they want. If this were the case, then the president should allow no one to be on calls that he wants confidential.

I only implied this specific call should be subpoenaed becaues it was clearly illegal and the cause for a big investigation by Congress.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If the president had a bit more care, NO ONE would have been on the call but the president and the president of Ukraine. Then, there would have been no BIG investigation by Congress.

I only implied this specific call should be subpoenaed becaues it was clearly illegal and the cause for a big investigation by Congress.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If the president had a bit more care, NO ONE would have been on the call but the president and the president of Ukraine. Then, there would have been no BIG investigation by Congress.

Actually it is normal procedure for someone else to be on the call. Somebody has to write the transcript. I have no idea why Vindman and Williams were in the Situation Room though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sigh

Yes, it IS normal for someone else to be on the call, and several SHOULD be on the call. HOWEVER, if Congress insists on the right to the contents of every call that they find out about, then my position is that the president shouldn't have anyone on the call, so that he can have confidential discussions between heads of state.

Actually it is normal procedure for someone else to be on the call. Somebody has to write the transcript. I have no idea why Vindman and Williams were in the Situation Room though.

Upvote 0