• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

jgross45743

Oct 5, 2018
Vail
✟15,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am having issues with relationships. I am autistic and this has happened before this person came over to my house. I had trouble with relationships numerous times and I don't understand what is going on. This is just one example of what I have been dealing with. She claims she is a therapist but now I don't really know but she doesn't seem to act professional and she comes to my house and she works on me. I haven't seen her in several years and now during our session she has accused me of being "angry" and "immature". She doesn't think I am an adult. I don't know why she thinks this.

She says all these good things to my face and then she says mean things. I can't keep up with her. This isn't the first time I have been accused of being "angry". People have accused me of this before. It seems to have got to do with my tone of voice because people have told me that it is my tone. People tell me to chill out because how I sound I guess. I may sound angry to these people because I raise my voice. But I had to raise my voice to the therapist in particular because she was talking over me and she wasn't listening to me and it was my time with her and it was her job to help me. I was very frustrated by this and I felt misunderstood and I felt like she wasn’t being compassionate with what I was going through. If this person is a therapist then I don't understand why she was acting like the way she was. She came off as cold and it didn’t seem like she treated me very nicely.It did seem like she made up the fact that I was now the "problem" from then on. I kept my voiced raised because like I said she wasn’t listening to me and she would talk when I spoke and I was frustrated when she wouldn’t let me get a word in. She thought she was "right" and I was "wrong". She acted like she had to tell me the situation when she wasn't there and didn't live through it like I did. The reason why I felt she didn’t give me compassion was because her responses were like “That’s how it is out there in the real world” and "they are treating you like this because you look young" I started feeling really sad because I wanted to speak with someone who cared and shows they care. She didn’t seem to care about me and what I was going through. I know things are rough out in the real world I get it. But she didn't give me what I was looking for. I was disappointed and I felt like I was wasting my time.

I thought she would have been more understanding you know being a therapist and all and I thought she would at least show she cared too. She seem to care more about herself then me. I felt I was just being normal and then I feel like I was getting accused at random. To add more detail to what I said before about my tone of voice. I don't feel angry when I am talking. I feel like I am sounding monotone. I change my tone of voice but it doesn’t always match what I am feeling. Ok now I will explain more in detail about the therapist.

I tried to explain to this person that I have autism and she's like "No, you don't". She went on to say something about labeling and how she was against it. I don't know what she was talking about but she never makes sense to me. By that point SHE was already mad at me or something. I don’t know. She was going on and on about how I can't work with you when your angry and that your anger will go straight to your heart and she explains how she is an adult because of this and that. I didn't really care to be honest. This was my time and I should have been treated differently. But she turns everything back to her and goes on to say that “your hurting me" and on and on. She kept making me out to be the "problem" or the "bad guy". I Sometimes the way she acts comes out of the blue in my perspective. I don't think I said this before but she sounded critical and manipulative at times too.

She also claims she has a "brain injury" and that I can't be "angry"around her. I don’t get it. If your supposed to help someone why come over and complain about someone that is "angry" when it is your job to help THEM. I didn't know what that had to do with anything. If she can't really deal with me and my issues then she isn’t really all that she claims to be. I figured that part out later on. Then she went on and on telling me how your supposed to sound like this and not that when your an adult. I don't know if she really has a brain injury or not. It sounds like she made it all up from the way she puts it because it sounded like she used that as an excuse to play the victim card on me. If she had a brain injury I would think she would have acted differently. I don't mean to think she lied but she does lie a lot. She tries to put me down for what I believed in.

Sometimes she even sounded like she wanted to control me. She started telling me how I was negligent about things. I wish I never told her things. It was my mistake to talk to her and to tell her things. I still don’t understand why she even came over in the first place? Why didn't she leave like she said she wanted to. . She thinks she made me calm down but really I just didn't see the point of talking to her anymore. She makes things up as she goes a long and she changes her stories a lot. I just stayed quiet.

My sisters told me she talked behind my back about me saying how "immature" I was and she made up how I came home because of needing help when that wasn't true and she told my sisters how they shouldn't do what I did and she was saying how she was worried about me being anti-social and she accuses me of not being "social" when I have made tons of friends and I met a lot of cool people in my life. She doesn't know me or what goes on in my life. But she thinks she can say anything she wants even if it isn’t true.

I wrote her an email telling her how I felt and she wrote back to me. I basically told her and explained to her everything I could think of in that email.

Her reply back was very similar to what she said during the session except more in detail. She thinks I was being very immature. Except now she accused me of "yelling" at her and then she said I was very "angry". She put emphasis on angry and then she accused me of “shutting down” which I didn’t know what she meant by that at all.

My previous email I told her I was just expressing myself and then her reply to that was that she said what I did was very “unhealthy” and she then went on to say I wasn't being professional when I thought that was her job. She said that if I want to work with her again I am here and then she told me that if you want to find someone else then do it and then she was telling me what to do again.
I told her in the previous email that I don't want to work with her again and that I have found someone else. So I don't know why she repeated to me the same thing I said to her.

She was also denying the fact that she did what my sisters told me she did. Also she seemed to treat my sisters better than me for some reason. Like she was apologizing to them for how she acted and not to me. (My sisters told me she apologized for how she acted) She just wanted to blame me and wanted to manipulate me and control me and treat me badly and she then continued to do so in the email.

I would like to understand what's going on. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that might understand what I am going through. I want to find people to relate to. Thank you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sam91

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would like to understand what's going on. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that might understand what I am going through. I want to find people to relate to. Thank you.
Wow you have an amazing memory to remember all of that. God wrote the book of your life before you were even born. He has all the plans for you and your life. The Holy Spirit is our Teacher and our Guide. The Bible says God does not give us the Spirit of Fear but of Power and Love and a Sound Mind. We put off the old and we put on the New. We can have the Mind of Christ.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
She doesn't sound like a therapist. I do mot know too much about them though. She sounds more like a social worker on a power trip. But I don't know much about those either.

Not wanting to judge her though as I only have your side. While your feelings are valid of course you might not be seeing the full story. She does sound very unprofessional. I am glad you have found someone else.

From the Christian side of it, you need to forgive her. It sounds like it will be hard at the moment. Ask God to help you.

Blessings.

I hope your family offer you some support and compassion in this.

Upvote 0

jgross45743

Oct 5, 2018
Vail
✟15,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This person also had this information on her business card. She says she is a hypnotherapist, NLP practictioner, Life Coach, emotional counselor, body worker, Acutonics, and keynote speaker. I don't know if that helps anyone out but this is what this person claims she is.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This person also had this information on her business card. She says she is a hypnotherapist, NLP practictioner, Life Coach, emotional counselor, body worker, Acutonics, and keynote speaker. I don't know if that helps anyone out but this is what this person claims she is.
She sounds like she has done courses but nothing which really understands autism.

It seems that she is into more the way of inspirational speaker and professional 'busybody' (life coach). Which means she probably trusts her opinion and thinks she has the answers.

I am at college atm and one of my courses is 'an introduction to counselling' and what you explained in your first post sounds nothing like counselling type of therapy. I have a good leaflet I printed off about types of therapy. It is a UK one but it does explain what to expect. I will have a quick look.

EDIT
https://www.bacp.co.uk/media/1917/bacp-choosing-counsellor-psychotherapist-c3.pdf

(PS my daughter and cousin have autism. I think I do to a lesser extent)

I have read the leaflet again that I put the link to above. A lot isn't relavent but it is useful in seeing what they do and don't do and what type of questions you should ask them.

What is emphasised a few times is that they should not gossip about what you say. Maybe it will be helpful for you to google to find the information relevant to your country?

Last edited:
Upvote 0