ChileanElder
Feb 18, 2004
TEXAS
✟15,158.00
Faith
Mormon
Trinity or Godhead?

Matthew Chapter 26
[36] Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.
[37] And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.
[38] Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.
[39] And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

**If Jesus Christ and God truly are one, why did Jesus Christ “pray to the Father” asking “his (the Father’s) will” to be done.**

Matthew Chapter 3
[13] Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
[14] But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
[15] And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
[16] And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
[17] And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

**If Jesus Christ, God, and the Holy Ghost are all one “being” and not separate, why was there a point made at this part of the Gospel of Matthew to separate them. Obviously Jesus Christ has just risen from being baptized by immersion, the holy ghost descends, and we hear the voice of God, three separate beings all present at the baptism of Jesus Christ.**

John Chapter 17
[1] These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

**Why doesn’t he just say so that I might glorify myself?**

[2] As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

**If they are the same why was the power “given” to him didn’t he already have it? **

[3] And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

**If they truly are one and the same should it read, “And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, (who is) Jesus Christ, whom I have sent.” Notice that textually in verse three it says, “..the only true God, AND Jesus Christ,”**

[4] I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.
[5] And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

**Why is he speaking in this manner if they are the same person? Doesn’t he already have the glory? **

[6] I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.
[7] Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.
[8] For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.
[9] I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
[10] And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.
[11] And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
[12] While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
[13] And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.
[14] I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
[15] I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
[16] They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
[17] Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
[18] As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

**God sent Jesus into the world (separate people) like Jesus sent the disciples into the world to preach (also separate people, are we seeing a connection?) **

[19] And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
[20] Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
[21] That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
[22] And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
[23] I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

**One as in one being? NO!!!!!! One in purpose just like two people married are one in purpose of raising and providing for a family, they are two separate people, but one family, one in purpose, like God and Jesus Christ are one in purpose, but separate. **

[24] Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

**Before the world was God loved Jesus Christ, before it was created by them, God loved Jesus Christ. **

[25] O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.
[26] And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Luke Chapter 22
[39] And he came out, and went, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him.
[40] And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation.
[41] And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
[42] Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
[43] And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
[44] And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

**What bitter mockery it would be if Jesus Christ as he is sweating great drops of blood, atoning, suffering for the sins of the world, to Ask for help from himself, “the Father” Obviously Jesus Christ is asking for help just a child asks for help from a parent, so is Jesus asking God, His Father, to help him, if it be possible pass this cup. **

John Chapter 8
[17] It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.
[18] I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.

**If they are one and the same person, why would Jesus say that they are two people, Jewish law states that by the mouth of two or more witnesses all truth shall be established. Jesus one person, and God, well still one person? NO!! Jesus one person God another person, two people, two witnesses that Jesus is the SON of God.**

John Chapter 20
[13] And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.
[14] And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.
[15] Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
[16] Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
[17] Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

**What is the meaning of this, touch me not for I have not ascended to my Father? Why not say I have not ascended to myself, to my throne, to my power? But he saw clearly that he had not ascended to His Father, God!**

Matt.17
[1] And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,
[2] And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
[3] And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
[4] Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
[5] While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

**On the mountain they made three tabernacles, one for Jesus, Moses, and Elias, three people present, and wait one more the voice of God, saying, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.” Or could we say that he is bearing testimony of him just like in John Chapter 8.**

**What follows in only just a few examples as well that Jesus Christ is the SON of God, not that he and God are one person. Satan even knew that he was the SON of God, but not that he was God. God is his Father, and he is God’s perfect SON, that died for our sins, and makes it possible to return back to live with God again in heaven. **

Matt.4
[3] And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
[6] And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Matt.8

[29] And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

**Even the Demons recognized him as the SON of God, not God. **

Matt.27
[54] Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

**The centurion also bore testimony that he was the SON of God. **

Mark.3

[11] And unclean spirits, when they saw him, fell down before him, and cried, saying, Thou art the Son of God.

**The unclean spirits recognized the SON of God. **

Mark.15
[39] And when the centurion, which stood over against him, saw that he so cried out, and gave up the ghost, he said, Truly this man was the Son of God.
[35] And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Luke.4
[3] And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread.
[9] And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence:
[41] And devils also came out of many, crying out, and saying, Thou art Christ the Son of God. And he rebuking them suffered them not to speak: for they knew that he was Christ.

Luke.8
[28] When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God most high? I beseech thee, torment me not.

John.1
[34] And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.
[49] Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

John.3
[18] He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

**Only begotten SON of who, himself, no, of God. **

John.5
[25] Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

John.9
[35] Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God?

**Jesus refers to himself as the SON of God. **

John.10
[36] Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

**The Father sent, the Father sanctified, the Father sent into the world, who, HIS SON! **

John.11
[27] She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.

John.20

[31] But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Acts.8
[37] And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

**I also believe that Jesus Christ is the SON of God, the Redeemer of the world. That no man may come unto the Father, but by him. I love Jesus Christ for what he suffered for me, and I know that no one could have suffered what Jesus did to pay the price of my sins. I know that faith without works is dead so I must also be obedient to his commandments and sincere about my repentence to receive forgiveness. **
**Comments-
:wave:

AMMON

LATTER-DAY SAINT
Jan 30, 2004
Sacramento, California
Visit site
✟2,223.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ChileanEldr2004...

I commend your work herein. Your research is well done and comprehensive. Now, allow me to predict the future. The Orthodox Christians will now come in and either explain away each scripture with things such as mysteries involved in the Trininity or they will counter these verses with the various verses that say God and the Son are one. And, although as a husband and wife are one, or a football team is one, the Orthodox Christians will refuse to consider this analogy in the context of the Godhead. Indeed, I forsee a good, old-fashion Bible Bash here, which should provide pages of interesting reading. ;)

Upvote 0

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ammon said:
ChileanEldr2004...

I commend your work herein. Your research is well done and comprehensive. Now, allow me to predict the future. The Orthodox Christians will now come in and either explain away each scripture with things such as mysteries involved in the Trininity or they will counter these verses with the various verses that say God and the Son are one. And, although as a husband and wife are one, or a football team is one, the Orthodox Christians will refuse to consider this analogy in the context of the Godhead. Indeed, I forsee a good, old-fashion Bible Bash here, which should provide pages of interesting reading. ;)

I hope not, but I see your point, and those topics must be grappled with, but I do believe that the New Testament has Explicit Binatarism and Implicit Trinatarism.

Upvote 0

spike

Stirred, not Shaken
Dec 17, 2003
✟715.00
Faith
Mormon
Perhaps I missed this one in the OP, but here's another one...

Matthew 24:30-36

"And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory.
(31)"And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.
(32)"Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near;
(33)So, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door.
(34)"Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.
(35)"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.
(36)"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone."

Upvote 0

ChileanEldr2004

ChileanElder
Feb 18, 2004
TEXAS
✟15,158.00
Faith
Mormon
spike said:
Perhaps I missed this one in the OP, but here's another one...

Matthew 24:30-36

"And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory.
(31)"And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.
(32)"Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near;
(33)So, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door.
(34)"Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.
(35)"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.
(36)"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone."
thanks for the additional scripture, I knew I was forgetting a few.

Upvote 0

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
Some of the statements in these posts seem to imply that a Trinitarian belief is that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three forms of the same being or person. That is modalism, and NOT what the vast majority of Christians believe. The Trinity consists of three persons (or beings) who are one God.

Upvote 0

AMMON

LATTER-DAY SAINT
Jan 30, 2004
Sacramento, California
Visit site
✟2,223.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
skylark1 said:
Some of the statements in these posts seem to imply that a Trinitarian belief is that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three forms of the same being or person. That is modalism, and NOT what the vast majority of Christians believe. The Trinity consists of three persons (or beings) who are one God.

Actually, the Trinity does not consist of three persons. The Trinity is one person with three different forms. It is the belief of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints that they are three persons. We're beginning to rub off on you. ;)

Upvote 0

twhite982

Aug 19, 2003
✟16,940.00
Faith
Other Religion
skylark1 said:
SkyLark,

In discussing the Trinity with others they seem very adement about stating that the Trinity is one. When I ask does it consist of 3 seperate persons that are one God, I am told no they aren't seperate they are one.

Maybe they all have different views on the Trinity :scratch: , but I can't seem to get a straight answer.

I can understand your answer as it makes sense via what I do know about the Bible.

The other explanations tend to lean more towards the modalism end of the spectrum, which I see clearly taught against in the Bible.

Tom

Upvote 0

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
Now you are telling us what we believe?

What you have described is Modalism.

"Modalism is probably the most common theological error concerning the nature of God. It is a denial of the Trinity which states that God is a single person who, throughout biblical history, has revealed Himself in three consecutive modes, or forms. Thus, God is a single person who first manifested himself in the mode of the Father in Old Testament times. At the incarnation, the mode was the Son. After Jesus' ascension, the mode is the Holy Spirit. These modes are consecutive and never simultaneous. In other words, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit never all exist at the same time, only one after another. Modalism denies the distinctiveness of the three persons in the Trinity even though it retains the divinity of Christ.

Present day groups that hold to this error are the United Pentecostal and United Apostolic Churches. They deny the Trinity, teach that the name of God is Jesus, and require baptism for salvation. These modalist churches often accuse Trinitarians of teaching three gods. This is not what the Trinity is. The correct teaching of the Trinity is one God in three eternal coexistent persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."

http://www.carm.org/heresy/modalism.htm

Upvote 0

AMMON

LATTER-DAY SAINT
Jan 30, 2004
Sacramento, California
Visit site
✟2,223.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Any other Orthodox Christians willing to weigh in on this? Because if Skylark is correct, the view of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is MUCH closer to the Trinity, as Skylark explains it, than I believe we all admit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
I think that this might help explain what orthodox Christians believe. I guess that I should not have written person or being, but I was trying to convey that calling them each a person is not the same as calling them a human. Does this describe what LDS believe correctly?

The Trinity

God is a trinity of persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Father is not the same person as the Son; the Son is not the same person as the Holy Spirit; and the Holy Spirit is not the same person as Father. They are not three gods and not three beings. They are three distinct persons; yet, they are all the one God. Each has a will, can speak, can love, etc., and these are demonstrations of personhood. They are in absolute perfect harmony consisting of one substance. They are coeternal, coequal, and copowerful. If any one of the three were removed, there would be no God. (See also, "Another Look at the Trinity")
Jesus, the Son, is one person with two natures: Divine and Human. This is called the Hypostatic Union. The Holy Spirit is also divine in nature and is self aware, the third person of the Trinity.
There is, though, an apparent separation of some functions among the members of the Godhead. For example, the Father chooses who will be saved (Eph. 1:4); the Son redeems them (Eph. 1:7); and the Holy Spirit seals them, (Eph. 1:13).
A further point of clarification is that God is not one person, the Father, with Jesus as a creation and the Holy Spirit is a force (Jehovah's Witnesses). Neither is He one person who took three consecutive forms, i.e., the Father, became the Son, who became the Holy Spirit. Nor is God the divine nature of the Son (where Jesus had a human nature perceived as the Son and a divine nature perceived as the Father (Oneness theology). Nor is the Trinity an office held by three separate Gods (Mormonism).
The word "person" is used to describe the three members of the Godhead because the word "person" is appropriate. A person is self aware, can speak, love, hate, say "you," "yours," "me," "mine," etc. Each of the three persons in the Trinity demonstrate these qualities.
The chart below should help you to see how the doctrine of the Trinity is systematically derived from Scripture. The list is not exhaustive, only illustrative.
The first step is to establish the biblical doctrine that there is only one God. Then, you find that each of the persons is called God, each creates, each was involved in Jesus' resurrection, each indwells, etc. Therefore, God is one, but the one God is in three simultaneous persons. Please note that the idea of a composite unity is not a foreign concept to the Bible; after all, man and wife become are said to be one flesh. The idea of a composite unity of persons is spoken of by God in Genesis (Gen. 2:24).

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ammon said:
Any other Orthodox Christians willing to weigh in on this? Because if Skylark is correct, the view of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is MUCH closer to the Trinity, as Skylark explains it, than I believe we all admit.
Why in the world would you come to that conclusion? The lds godhead and the Christian trinity are very different. The LDS godhead is 3 different "gods" and the Christian trinity is 3 persons that are ONE God, not just one in purpose but ONE God that share the same essence.

Grace

Upvote 0

twhite982

Aug 19, 2003
✟16,940.00
Faith
Other Religion
skylark1 said:
Now you are telling us what we believe?
Were you talking to me?

If so I was not trying to tell you what you believe.

I was stating my perception of how the Trinity has been explained to me. Whether those who explained it to me were oneness Pentecostal or not I don't know.

Much of the confusion I believe comes about in discussions with LDS because people are trying to distance themselves as far as possible from the LDS view of the Godhead.

I ask don't you believe in the 3 persons that form the Godhead; Father, Son, Holy Spirit. The answer they are one not 3.

I get confused with this easily and probally because of this I still don't have a good grasp of the Trinity.

What you have described is Modalism.

"Modalism is probably the most common theological error concerning the nature of God. It is a denial of the Trinity which states that God is a single person who, throughout biblical history, has revealed Himself in three consecutive modes, or forms. Thus, God is a single person who first manifested himself in the mode of the Father in Old Testament times. At the incarnation, the mode was the Son. After Jesus' ascension, the mode is the Holy Spirit. These modes are consecutive and never simultaneous. In other words, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit never all exist at the same time, only one after another. Modalism denies the distinctiveness of the three persons in the Trinity even though it retains the divinity of Christ.

Present day groups that hold to this error are the United Pentecostal and United Apostolic Churches. They deny the Trinity, teach that the name of God is Jesus, and require baptism for salvation. These modalist churches often accuse Trinitarians of teaching three gods. This is not what the Trinity is. The correct teaching of the Trinity is one God in three eternal coexistent persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."

http://www.carm.org/heresy/modalism.htm

I don't believe in the above and for me it is easily "proved" against in the Bible.

Tom

Upvote 0

twhite982

Aug 19, 2003
✟16,940.00
Faith
Other Religion
happyinhisgrace said:
Why in the world would you come to that conclusion? The lds godhead and the Christian trinity are very different. The LDS godhead is 3 different "gods" and the Christian trinity is 3 persons that are ONE God, not just one in purpose but ONE God that share the same essence.

Grace
Grace this is not true regarding the LDS godhead. They may be seperate persons, but its clear they have the same essence.

Tom

Upvote 0

AMMON

LATTER-DAY SAINT
Jan 30, 2004
Sacramento, California
Visit site
✟2,223.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
happyinhisgrace said:
Why [EDITED BY POSTER TO ELIMINATE PEJORATIVE STATEMENT] would you come to that conclusion? The [LDS] [G]odhead and the Christian [T]rinity are very different. The LDS godhead is 3 different "[G]ods," and the Christian [T]rinity is 3 persons that are ONE God, not just one in purpose but ONE God that share the same essence.

Grace

I reached the supposition, not a conclusion, because Skylark originally said the Trinity entailed three separate persons who were one God, which is very close to what we consider the Godhead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
twhite982 said:
Were you talking to me?

If so I was not trying to tell you what you believe.
I'm sorry. I should have used the quote button. That was in reference to this post by Ammon.
Actually, the Trinity does not consist of three persons. The Trinity is one person with three different forms. It is the belief of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints that they are three persons. We're beginning to rub off on you.
wink.gif

I get confused with this easily and probally because of this I still don't have a good grasp of the Trinity.
I think that the Trinity quote that I posted gives a good explanation. If you go to the link there is more that follows.

I don't believe in the above and for me it is easily "proved" against in the Bible.
I agree. I do not believe in Modalism either, but this is what Ammon seemed to be describing as the orthodox view of the Trinity.

Sorry if my post was not clear.

:)

Upvote 0

AMMON

LATTER-DAY SAINT
Jan 30, 2004
Sacramento, California
Visit site
✟2,223.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
skylark1 said:
I think that this might help explain what orthodox Christians believe. I guess that I should not have written person or being, but I was trying to convey that calling them each a person is not the same as calling them a human. Does this describe what LDS believe correctly?

The Trinity

God is a trinity of persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Father is not the same person as the Son; the Son is not the same person as the Holy Spirit; and the Holy Spirit is not the same person as Father. They are not three gods and not three beings. They are three distinct persons; yet, they are all the one God. Each has a will, can speak, can love, etc., and these are demonstrations of personhood. They are in absolute perfect harmony consisting of one substance. They are coeternal, coequal, and copowerful. If any one of the three were removed, there would be no God. (See also, "Another Look at the Trinity")
Jesus, the Son, is one person with two natures: Divine and Human. This is called the Hypostatic Union. The Holy Spirit is also divine in nature and is self aware, the third person of the Trinity.
There is, though, an apparent separation of some functions among the members of the Godhead. For example, the Father chooses who will be saved (Eph. 1:4); the Son redeems them (Eph. 1:7); and the Holy Spirit seals them, (Eph. 1:13).
A further point of clarification is that God is not one person, the Father, with Jesus as a creation and the Holy Spirit is a force (Jehovah's Witnesses). Neither is He one person who took three consecutive forms, i.e., the Father, became the Son, who became the Holy Spirit. Nor is God the divine nature of the Son (where Jesus had a human nature perceived as the Son and a divine nature perceived as the Father (Oneness theology). Nor is the Trinity an office held by three separate Gods (Mormonism).
The word "person" is used to describe the three members of the Godhead because the word "person" is appropriate. A person is self aware, can speak, love, hate, say "you," "yours," "me," "mine," etc. Each of the three persons in the Trinity demonstrate these qualities.
The chart below should help you to see how the doctrine of the Trinity is systematically derived from Scripture. The list is not exhaustive, only illustrative.
The first step is to establish the biblical doctrine that there is only one God. Then, you find that each of the persons is called God, each creates, each was involved in Jesus' resurrection, each indwells, etc. Therefore, God is one, but the one God is in three simultaneous persons. Please note that the idea of a composite unity is not a foreign concept to the Bible; after all, man and wife become are said to be one flesh. The idea of a composite unity of persons is spoken of by God in Genesis (Gen. 2:24).

That is the most interesting definition of the Trinity that I've ever read. It is remarkably close to the description of the Godhead, which is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints' understanding of what Orthodox Christians call the Trinity. Most interesting.

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
twhite982 said:
Grace this is not true regarding the LDS godhead. They may be seperate persons, but its clear they have the same essence.

Tom
If they shared the same essense, they would be ONE God, not many Gods. The God of the Bible is one in Essence which makes Him one God, not just one in purpose but one God. The lds gods are one in purpose, not ONE God. The post on the Trinity that skylark (I believe it was) posted describes how the God of the Bible is the same essence which is much different than the believe of 3 Gods that are one in purpose only.

Grace

Upvote 0

twhite982

Aug 19, 2003
✟16,940.00
Faith
Other Religion
skylark1 said:

This is very close to what I believe.

I'll add distinctions below in red.

The Trinity

If I were to say that One were removed then this would nullify God, I would agree if God were called the Godhead. I believe God the Father is not dependent on any of the Others in the Godhead even though they are one.

I don't describe the Godhead as offices although I do believe that Jesus subordinates Himself to the Father. Not that He is any less capable, but it seems He does it out of love, respect, and worship for the Father.

Tom

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I were to say that One were removed then this would nullify God, I would agree if God were called the Godhead. I believe God the Father is not dependent on any of the Others in the Godhead even though they are one.

This is a huge difference though, wouldn't you agree, Tom? This is what is meant by them sharing the same essence.

Grace

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.