• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Triggers?

Alive again

A daughter of the King of Kings!
Feb 21, 2005
Pacific Northwest, USA
✟23,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not think this is exactly what you are looking for but I know I am in danger of triggering when noise begins to bother me. For example if my husband's chewing is irritating (which is really a minimal noise) it is a warning for me that mania is around the corner and if I get really careful about sleep, eating ,etc I may minimize the manic episode. Or if music I like to listen too is irritating me. crumbs on the counter, and how I react to them, is another big warning sign for me.

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A major trigger for me is not sleeping. If I don't sleep pass one day, that can lead me right into a manic episode. I have to cut it the best way I can. Before I used to take cold medicine and that would knock me out. I have a new Dr. and so I fessed up about it. She put me on Melatonin and that seems to working just fine.

Another trigger for me is dealing with dishonest people. I can't have them around me. It's hard enough being a manic depressive with psychotic features but it's even worse when someone wants to play mind games with me. It makes me feel like I don't know what I'm talking about when I know what I know. I can't do it.

There are other triggers, but these are the ones I can think of right now.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
West Plains Missouri
✟8,320.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes people talk about knowing their triggers. What exactly are they talking about? Examples? I feel like there is no rhyme or reason to it all myself.

Red
Husbandsnonsupport , but sitting there with my medical people and agreeing and telling them he will support and so wonderful to their faces, than cutting me down like saying bipolar is not a real disease. Everyone has it. Some control ,themselves. others do not and if I tell my case worker she looks at me like sure because he acts so good around them. I think I have had a bit of biplar for years, but it did not become dangerous and extreme until the way he treated me. :o:(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If someone is a little angry, or ticked off at me about something, even if it's something where they have a good reason to be, and I should listen to them and deal with it, instead I go ballistic. And, mum24, I hate to admit it, but I go ballistic much more around women than I do men. I know, I know, I'm a butt. But I want to know why that is. The "I go ballistic" I can blame on bipolar. But the "much more around women" is entirely my fault.

When I had anger issues with women, I used therapy to trace it back to childhood issues with my Mom, and two aunts. Sad thing is, the issues with Mom are still there, and I still have trouble relating to her. She has bipolar disorder, and has trouble with interpersonal relationships herself.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Wow, Madison, you're a female? How could a female have issues with women?

My issues with women began when I was an infant. Because my mother developed her bipolar disorder when I was just a few months old, I never bonded with her. Then, when I was an adolescent, she was in a severe depression and sent me away to live with an aunt. That was three months of torture, because my aunt had me doing all of her housework, and her sons did not do any chores. She was Dad's sister, and when he died, she tried to have a secret viewing of him, against my mother's wishes. My other aunt, Mom's sister, was schizophrenic, and when my father died, she said something that really upset me and I cut her out of my life. They were the only women in my life.

My mother and I have never connected, and she has treated me far different than my siblings. Even after both of my brothers went to heaven, at very young ages, she treats me with rudeness and contempt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Heartfelt123

Mar 10, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of my biggest triggers is stress at work. im usually fine on Monday but as the week goes on the stress gets higher and higher. I become anxious and irritated with the minor things. Another trigger for me is anxious thoughts, they seem to build on one another.

Staying balanced is such a hard thing to do, i find that when i am stressed out after a day of work i'll need to sit in a quit place and read so my mind can clear.

Upvote 0