MO.
✟250,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
“And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness . . . Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”

The thorn in the flesh was a heavy trial for Paul. It was not sent because of personal failure, but because of the abundance of revelation given to him—it was a preventative. There was danger lest the flesh (sin nature, not the physical body—NC) should boast (2Co 12:7), and God gives him a thorn. Paul preyed three times for its removal. The Father tells him that His grace is sufficient (if we trust in His grace we will be able to endure trials and difficulties much easier, yet every trial is hard—NC), there is no need to remove it, and moreover his infirmity was but an occasion “for the power of Christ to rest upon” him. Then he glories in that which he has prayed to be taken away. The Lord Jesus was exalted and Paul was content. Here is the moral fruit, the Father’s object in sending the thorn: no failure and no needed chastening here, but a lesson of grace to an honored servant of Christ.

The trials of saints, as they come from the Father, are generally if not always intimately connected with the position grace gives. The Father in His sovereignty calls His saints to fill various places of service, some to rule and authority, some to teaching or preaching, others may only know the place of suffering and weeping. Nevertheless all are for the carrying out of one great purpose, the accomplishment of one Will, a whole in which each saint however humble has his part.

The Father has a niche in His temple for each, a place assigned by grace. It is there that each is tested. But if grace appoints the place, it is always there to maintain saints in it (grace takes every believer through the trial, and thus never fails to learn—NC. Often the trial is allowed through our want of faith to hide the grace, and then we complain and murmur. “But God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it” (1Co 10:13). He always provides the necessary grace.

There are other trials which have their root in unfaithfulness. The Father permits such, but does not directly send them, and surely controls and guides to a gracious result, for His mercy endureth forever. Such trials become rods in His child-training hand. But when He sends trials to a faithful saint it is for the purpose of proving faith, which is “more precious than of gold that perisheth” (1Pe 1:7), though it be tired with fire, and of giving lessons in the school of faith.

The fruitful branch is purged that it may bring forth more fruit. More and better fruit is the Father’s object. Hidden things may be in the heart of the faithful unknown and therefore unjudged. The trial is sent to disclose the hidden thing that it may be purged away. Not all the trials are chastenings. We should gravely err if we judged every suffering saint to be under discipline through failure. Where there is faithfulness we often see what appears to be heaviest trials, but in truth it is for the display of the sustaining power of grace that others may see and learn.

—R Beacon

MJS daily devotional excerpt for April 20

“It is well to remember that the deepest and truest spiritual qualities are not learnt or established in us by our happy or enjoyable times, but in the difficult ones! There is nothing wrong in times of great joy and spiritual blessing; in fact we long for more of them, and look back perhaps to some days of much blessing in our lives or in the work of the Lord; but in the securing of Christ in greater measure in our lives, we find that it is by the things which we suffer that we learn most. So let us give thanks for the joyful days, and learn all that the Lord intends by the days of waiting and difficulty.” -C.J.B.H.

Reactions: BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
“And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness . . . Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”

The thorn in the flesh was a heavy trial for Paul. It was not sent because of personal failure, but because of the abundance of revelation given to him—it was a preventative. There was danger lest the flesh (sin nature, not the physical body—NC) should boast (2Co 12:7), and God gives him a thorn. Paul preyed three times for its removal. The Father tells him that His grace is sufficient (if we trust in His grace we will be able to endure trials and difficulties much easier, yet every trial is hard—NC), there is no need to remove it, and moreover his infirmity was but an occasion “for the power of Christ to rest upon” him. Then he glories in that which he has prayed to be taken away. The Lord Jesus was exalted and Paul was content. Here is the moral fruit, the Father’s object in sending the thorn: no failure and no needed chastening here, but a lesson of grace to an honored servant of Christ.

The trials of saints, as they come from the Father, are generally if not always intimately connected with the position grace gives. The Father in His sovereignty calls His saints to fill various places of service, some to rule and authority, some to teaching or preaching, others may only know the place of suffering and weeping. Nevertheless all are for the carrying out of one great purpose, the accomplishment of one Will, a whole in which each saint however humble has his part.

The Father has a niche in His temple for each, a place assigned by grace. It is there that each is tested. But if grace appoints the place, it is always there to maintain saints in it (grace takes every believer through the trial, and thus never fails to learn—NC. Often the trial is allowed through our want of faith to hide the grace, and then we complain and murmur. “But God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it” (1Co 10:13). He always provides the necessary grace.

There are other trials which have their root in unfaithfulness. The Father permits such, but does not directly send them, and surely controls and guides to a gracious result, for His mercy endureth forever. Such trials become rods in His child-training hand. But when He sends trials to a faithful saint it is for the purpose of proving faith, which is “more precious than of gold that perisheth” (1Pe 1:7), though it be tired with fire, and of giving lessons in the school of faith.

The fruitful branch is purged that it may bring forth more fruit. More and better fruit is the Father’s object. Hidden things may be in the heart of the faithful unknown and therefore unjudged. The trial is sent to disclose the hidden thing that it may be purged away. Not all the trials are chastenings. We should gravely err if we judged every suffering saint to be under discipline through failure. Where there is faithfulness we often see what appears to be heaviest trials, but in truth it is for the display of the sustaining power of grace that others may see and learn.

—R Beacon

MJS daily devotional excerpt for April 20

“It is well to remember that the deepest and truest spiritual qualities are not learnt or established in us by our happy or enjoyable times, but in the difficult ones! There is nothing wrong in times of great joy and spiritual blessing; in fact we long for more of them, and look back perhaps to some days of much blessing in our lives or in the work of the Lord; but in the securing of Christ in greater measure in our lives, we find that it is by the things which we suffer that we learn most. So let us give thanks for the joyful days, and learn all that the Lord intends by the days of waiting and difficulty.” -C.J.B.H.
Something I always try to remember when I’m in hard times and something that I often say to those who are facing hard times is “celebrate the victory before the battle”. Like the Israelites as they marched off to battle against overwhelming odds they celebrated the victory on their way to battle. And when they arrived at the battlefield they found that their enemies had defeated each other and all they had to do was gather the loot. No matter what the battle is or what the result is, in the end we will see the value of the lesson. Sometimes we can see it right away, sometimes not until later, but you can rest assured that when you’re finally in heaven with Our Lord you will certainly understand and praise Him for it.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1. The thorn was a demonic spirit that followed Paul around and raised up persecution and peril against him.
2. The thorn was not from God, it was a "messenger from satan."
3. Paul asked 3 times to have it removed. God did not say no.
4. God told Paul that His grace was sufficient for him.

I tell a story about this.
The family shows up to the dinner table and mother is serving up food. Little Johnny receives a place filled to tasty, nutritional food. He looks up at his mother and says "Mother, I am very hungry, please give me some food." Mom smiles and responds. "The plate I gave you is sufficient." The little boy looks around and once again asks, "Mother, I am very very hungry, Please may I have some food!" She replies "Johnny, as I said, this plate is sufficient for you." Johnny continues to look around. Yet a third time Johnny speaks, this time with urgency. "Mother. PLEASE give me some food, I am almost starving!" Mom smiles again and replies, "My sweet little boy. There is more than enough food on your plate to both fill your little tummy and fulfil your request. My food is sufficient for you." Johnny's mother most certainly did not say no. When she said "my plate is sufficient for you," she was in no way saying "Being hungry is good for you. Endure the hunger and be satisfied with my good graces." She did not imply that she wanted him to be hungry and suffer. She was not trying to teach him something by starving him. The issue with Johnny was he did not see or failed to esteem the plate full of food that was right in front of him.
If a person comes into this passage with the notion that God says "no," then they will read "my grace is sufficient for you" to mean "no." Yet I wonder how we can assess the all sufficient grace of God to equate to a "no." I have come to understand the phrase "my grace is sufficient for you" to mean "I have already given you everything you need to accomplish the thing you ask. This grace I have given you is sufficient to deal with the problems you are encountering." As the scripture and the OP state, the core problem was ego and pridefulness due to the many revelations Paul had received. This implies that if Paul had not been prideful, then the messenger from Satan would have had no grounds to come at him. Even then, once the demonic spirit and the attacks were in full swing, the grace of God was there to both deal with the core pride issue, and deal with the demonic attacks. One would suggest that surely Paul knew the benefits of the gospel and the authority he had as a born again child of God. He knew what he could do in Christ. But the problem was not one of knowledge. The problem was doing the word. At some level Paul wanted to have his pride and eat it too. As long as the pride was an issue, the situation remained. The lesson here is to believe that God is a rewarder of those that diligently seek him. The lesson means ask and you shall receive. The message is to crucify the flesh and there will be no grounds for Satan to attack. The message is that the grace of God is sufficient to accomplish overcoming the flesh and the devil. The message is resist the devil and he will flee from you.
I no longer see this passage saying we are to endure and suffer the attacks of satan. I do not equate the sufficient grace of God to mean: "No, you just endure the suffering and be happy with that."

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟250,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Something I always try to remember when I’m in hard times and something that I often say to those who are facing hard times is “celebrate the victory before the battle”. Like the Israelites as they marched off to battle against overwhelming odds they celebrated the victory on their way to battle. And when they arrived at the battlefield they found that their enemies had defeated each other and all they had to do was gather the loot. No matter what the battle is or what the result is, in the end we will see the value of the lesson. Sometimes we can see it right away, sometimes not until later, but you can rest assured that when you’re finally in heaven with Our Lord you will certainly understand and praise Him for it.
Hi, and thanks for the encouraging reply! Yes, if you're reborn, everything is used by God for your "Good" (Ro 8:29). Another thing that helps me to be encouraged is the fact that we will inevitably be with the Father and the Son, no matter what! For us it's as good as being there now, for God has "made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus" (Eph 2:6). This is an example of how we can know we already have heaven! God bless!!

Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0