Oct 9, 2005
✟1,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Information, biological, computer, and nano technologies are growing at an exponential rate. There are many scientists who are saying that if we continue down this revolutionary path, mankind will merge with technology and become transhuman.

The term transhumanism was coined by Julian Huxley, the brother of Aldous Huxley, author of Brave New World.

Has anyone else caught onto this growing trend of transhumanism? What do you think about it?

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
Right now the Baby Boomers are becoming the older, so the big industries of the near future will probably be financial planning, healthcare, and pharmaceuticals. More specifically, I think there will be an enormous growth in life-extension technology and prosthetics. Younger people today will largely be the beneficiaries of this huge technological advancement, and I bet someone born today has a good chance of living to 150, 200, or 300 years with cyborg parts and enhancements.

I'm planning on living 150+ years. If I ditch my body then, maybe I could live thousands of years in an electronic body.

Upvote 0

mrpiddly

May 27, 2007
✟16,409.00
Faith
Atheist
While the concept of this technology is certainly fascinating to me, I highly doubt it holds any of the answers humanity hopes to find in it. (I also doubt it will improve the general "happiness" of people)

Humanity has always searched for answers in technology and while they have received many "answers", none of them carry any true significance. I relate it to expression of the entire universe as a mathematical equation. The equation may capture the "formula" of the universe but to an inhabitant of that universe, this equation has no real meaning; it is just an equation. I certainly do not advocate the abandonment of humanities' quest for knowledge or the renunciation of modern technology, but I find it ill advised to believe that technology will always hold the answer.

Even if humanity were able to significantly increase their intelligence over "modern" humans, would that guarantee another Shakespeare, Mozart, or Martian Luther King? Would it really make you happier? Modern humans are the most intelligent currently known entities in existence and just look at what a "wreak" humanity is as a whole.

If this progression to post-humanism is to ever occur, I must say that it is perfectly natural. Humans are just organisms, and technology is their tool. Those who say that this transformation is unnatural must not consider humans to be on the same level as nature.

Upvote 0

Daniel19

Oct 9, 2005
✟1,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess that's really it isn't it. Our world-views (and religion) are going to shape how we view these technological developments.

Personally, I don't think we should stop our technological development, but that we should stop to consider how we're going to apply them. Are we going to draw the line at helping disabled individuals with computer implants and augmentations, or are we going to go further and enhance normal individuals capabilities to a super-human level?

From what I've researched in the past several years, there are definite religious aspirations behind many technological developments. I guess it could be related to the quest for the fountain of youth. Even Francis Bacon, who is considered to be the father of modern scientific thought, believed that all scientific persuits should be directed at the recovery of our "original divinity".

Upvote 0