here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ANYONE can get nominated to be homecoming queen or king....from any organization.

No one wins a popularity contest b/c they get elected. You've got people from the lowest social status levels in school that can get elected. Each organization in school elects someone that best represents them.

You also have people that pull stunts by voting for a person that is a "geek"/mentally ill/disable/ sexually confused" just as a joke. Let's be realistic whether you support he/she or not. They usually aren't up their on the majority of so-called popularity lists.

Upvote 0

DhaliClone

Oct 28, 2004
✟17,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This tells me that there must be something chemically and possibly mentally wrong with these kids to have these uncontrollable feelings. My question to God is, why were they born this way?
Nothing is "wrong" with them.

It's prenatal hormones dictating (for lack of a better word) sexual tendencies. Androgen, notably testosterone, produces brain structures and functions that react to stimuli in a way, and induce behavior, that is more masculine. In the abscence of testosterone, estrogen becomes the "default" chemical, and in turn creates a brain that is more feminine.

This is regardless of biological sex. So, you can have a male, or female, with a masculine brain. Most of the time, the hormones "match" (feminine brain with a female, for example); but, sometimes they don't.

It's not like a switch - gay or straight. It's more like a sliding scale. It's the reactions of prenatal chemicals that happens to everyone. These, combined with any environmental stimuli, can make someone identify themselves as homosexual or heterosexual.

And, what do you mean "uncontrollable feelings"? Are you saying that gay people just have to act, uncontrollably, on any sexual stimuli they come across? They can control their sexual feelings just as well as a straight person can control their sexual feelings. You said the girls had a crush on the cute teacher, just like your nephew had a crush on the cute teacher - it's no different.

They were born this way because it's a natural variation of sexuality and sexual preference.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You have a guy who insists he's a fire truck, and wants to drive in the parade with all the other fire trucks. When everyone else says, "You can't do that, because you're not a fire truck, you're a human being," he retorts, "You're just manifesting hate against me because I'm a fire truck trapped in a human being's body! I feel like a fire truck inside, and therefore, I am a fire truck! Anyone who says otherwise is a bigot and intolerant!"

Not at all different from a girl who wants to be Prom King.
That seems reasonable.

Personally, I couldn't care less whether the social meaning of gender changes (and we can biologically female but butch prom kings) or the meaning of gendered social roles changes (and can have female, butch lesbians as prom queens).

As long as one of 'em gives, I don't see any a priori discrimination at work.

Upvote 0

Anatole

Apr 23, 2007
✟23,067.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
DhaliClone: Thanks for explaining that to me. That makes since, are you a doctor or just extremely smart. Have you ever heard the theory or maybe it's a fact, that boys that were given soy formula or soy products(which have a lot of estrogen), may be what causes these boys to be gay? I haven't had the nerve yet to ask my sister-in-law if she gave him soy.

Upvote 0

DhaliClone

Oct 28, 2004
✟17,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
DhaliClone: Thanks for explaining that to me. That makes since, are you a doctor or just extremely smart.
I have a degree in Psychology, Behavioral Psychology focus. I'm not a doctor. (I wish I could afford to go to school for it, though.) I have a minor in History, focus on Constitutional History.

Have you ever heard the theory or maybe it's a fact, that boys that were given soy formula or soy products(which have a lot of estrogen), may be what causes these boys to be gay? I haven't had the nerve yet to ask my sister-in-law if she gave him soy.
Once your brain is developed (as such an infant's is), it's very hard to alter the chemicals of it. Soy alone wouldn't do anything. You can't turn someone gay.

Scientifically, a theory is factual, surrounding the facts. There's common misconception about what a scientific theory is - it's not a hypothesis, it's not a guess. Here's a super-brief definition: "The scientific method attempts to explain the natural occurrences (phenomena) of the universe by using a logical, consistent, systematic method of investigation, information (data) collection, data analysis (hypothesis), testing (experiment), and refinement to arrive at a well-tested, well-documented, explanation that is well-supported by evidence, called a theory."

This is neither a fact nor a theory, it's a myth.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
ANYONE can get nominated to be homecoming queen or king....from any organization.

No one wins a popularity contest b/c they get elected. You've got people from the lowest social status levels in school that can get elected. Each organization in school elects someone that best represents them.

You also have people that pull stunts by voting for a person that is a "geek"/mentally ill/disable/ sexually confused" just as a joke. Let's be realistic whether you support he/she or not. They usually aren't up their on the majority of so-called popularity lists.
Hmm...So you think that being transgendered would be viewed by high schools (in general) as something negative and worthy of mockery through homecoming/prom?

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Carey?

Teenagers today are very accepting of people with other lifestyles than their own.

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmm...So you think that being transgendered would be viewed by high schools (in general) as something negative and worthy of mockery through homecoming/prom?

I truly think that kids can be cruel enough to do that...especially ones on the higher level of social status.... :(

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Carey?
Not familiar. OOOHHH!!!! The movie. (?) No I am not. :)

Teenagers today are very accepting of people with other lifestyles than their own.
I guess it depends on the area in which you live.

Upvote 0

fanatiquefou

you know, for kids!
Jun 19, 2004
Indiana
✟3,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but at my high school, anyone who wanted to could nominate someone for king or queen, but only the top five vote-getters would be officially nominated for the students to vote among for the title. So if she's in the final selection, that would suggest that enough people were interested in seeing her there.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟280,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yet this raises the question of what makes a person male or female? As has been stated on this thread, genitals can't be the sole determining factor as there are a percentage of children born as hermaphrodites (or intersexed). Genetics doesn't really do it either, as not only do we have "XX" and XY", but some people have "XXY", "XXXY", "XXYY", "XYY", and even "X0" (actually, a single X without the second gene for gender). And, in case things aren't confused enough yet, you have people who are XX and were born with male genitals and people who are XY and are born with female genitals -- most of these conditions have those fancy scientific names like "5-alpha reductase deficiency", "androgen insensitivity syndrome", "Aphallia", "Clitiromegaly", "Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia"... and I'm only up to the letter "C". So, again, what is it that actually determines an individuals gender?

It isn't unthinkable that a "girl" could really be a boy. Now, I'd be interested in hearing about the condition that makes a boy a fire truck.

This is why we need to support genetic engineering, to eventually get rid of all these mammalian sexual characteristics for once and for all.

I would propose engineering human beings with predominantly plant genes, containing characteristics of both male and female plants, so that there is asexual reproduction by airborne pollination.

Think of it! No gender confusion. No homosexual/heterosexual rights debates. No abortions, no adultery, fornication, masturbation, no "sexual" problems at all. Just totally detatched reproduction by pollen, and everybody lives happily ever after.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
No one wins a popularity contest b/c they get elected.

Uh, yes they do. By definition the fact that you got elected means you were the most popular.

BTW, I'm still waiting for an answer...

Originally Posted by Ginny
sadly, she is being made a joke of.people will vote out of spite for the joy of mockery alone.

Do you have any evidence of this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.