Feb 21, 2012
✟437,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I agree with that, but we also do it on other things as well.
We make judgments based on wealth or lack of it, appearances that may seem more or less threatening such as a bald head and lots of tattoos and I am sure there are many other factors.

You are never going to stop that and we do need to make judgments because sometimes they are important. If you feel someone is behaving suspiciously you are going to change your behavior. Maybe you will cross the road, duck into a shop or grab your phone ready to call the police.

Judging people from behavior is a bit different. Actions have consequences, causes precede actions. These things can create semi-predictable patterns.

I know there isn't, but its here and well entrenched.

You say well entrenched and it becomes a matter of ignorance to me.

It does but you can only really change you.

Lol yeah? Christian huh? They got Marxists where you're from? Trans activists pushing agendas?

You can't really control thoughts, but you can induce reactions.

You can't control other people. You can try and promote it but I wouldn't be expecting many people to change based on your knowledge, no matter how correct it is.

No. Not because of knowledge.

My experience is people don't change their views very often especially as they get older.
Now if you had people in government who felt this was something worth pushing then they could bring it into the schools which might help the coming generation, but they seem more into pushing sexually explicit materials and nonsense.

I don't know. That used to be my view.

From what I have seen from people on Youtube or talking on social media, mixed race people often get asked things like "What are you?" and "Where are you from"? And they don't mean what city or state but rather what genetic background. Kind of rude? Yes, does it tell them much? No, but they are assuming that it will. People are ready to say you oh you like Italian food because you are part Italian. In their mind that has been worked out, correct or not. People do it to themselves too not just to others. I watch DNA result videos and people say that kind of thing all the time. It's amusing with zero logic behind it. I highly doubt your 8% Italian is the reason you like pasta, but whatever makes you happy.

If you think that's amusing, you should see videos of girls who believe astrology.

I think some of the driving force behind this is to discover similarities and difference in those we meet. This helps us to quickly sort who may possibly be an enemy, acquaintance, friend or love interest.
A similarity means we have something in common to talk about. You know you can say X to this person and you will probably get X back. That person is part of your group because you think alike.

Is that something you get? Congruence between yourself and those around you?

A point of difference could either be seen as something to ask about, maybe get a better understanding about, or it could be a point of turning away and argument. You don't always feel like an argument and too many people these days seem to think if you don't completely agree with them on every issue then you are 'hateful'. This seems to be the new thing. Use to be we would could agree to disagree.

If I disagree, and don't at least indicate it...it feels like a lie. As if I lied about myself to that person...for reasons that I dislike.

But that is what I think the driving force is behind it. People expect more similarity with someone who matches how they look (doesn't have to based on skin colour it could be based on wealth or something else like dyed hair)
They assume without any other evidence that you will think like me because you look like me. That can of course be very incorrect.

True.

Yes, I am quite sure that Hispanic and Latino are not a race.
They are cultures. If someone who says they are Hispanic does a DNA test it wont came back saying Latino or Hispanic.
The racial divide is black, white, Asian and possibly some include native as a forth.
I am not saying these are factually valid, just that this is what they are divided into. The 3 skull types, Caucasoid, Negroid and Mongoloid.

Another main three view.

You're holding it, telling me you know it's not factually valid. It's not. If racial groupings are socially constructed, they exist only as whatever people imagine they are.

It's the fact /belief distinction I mentioned before.

:) Right, because assumptions are often incorrect.
This is actually an example of the search for similarity and differences. We both have labels under our names because we want something to be known about us. Since I could see yours said atheist I wasn't about to find a similarity based on religion because I already know your views will be very different to mine. I don't find those type of arguments to be enlightening or entertaining. Since we all write our own labels here that does give a better indication of a fact than appearance, even though those labels are very broad.

Enlightenment and entertainment. Feelings associated with the affirmation of your beliefs....probably frustrating when confronting them and maybe defensive?

It's ok. I'm not going to confront them. You aren't knocking on my door on Saturdays. Older woman? Did you choose your church or did you always go there?

We don't get forms asking for race much here. They mostly want to know if we are aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander. For those that are they would tick the box and answer another section. This can be for keeping track of the health in that community, record keeping and certain benefits. It wouldn't normally ask if we were white, black or Asian.

But you could always try it and see.

Perhaps it would be more amusing to tell them I simply don't know until they can clearly define the categories.

But schools would be a place to start, simply with the facts. I don't think its their place to push there are no races, that would lead to parental backlash from all sides I would imagine.

Yeah I know we wouldn't have been able to drop the categories easily. I did get the message in school though that it wasn't a factual distinction, that it wasn't really meaningful. It wasn't hard to accept...even if not everyone understood. I guess I mistakenly thought most of us were getting the same message.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Judging people from behavior is a bit different. Actions have consequences, causes precede actions. These things can create semi-predictable patterns.

You say well entrenched and it becomes a matter of ignorance to me.

Lol yeah? Christian huh? They got Marxists where you're from? Trans activists pushing agendas?

You can't really control thoughts, but you can induce reactions.

No. Not because of knowledge.

I don't know. That used to be my view.

If you think that's amusing, you should see videos of girls who believe astrology.

Is that something you get? Congruence between yourself and those around you?

If I disagree, and don't at least indicate it...it feels like a lie. As if I lied about myself to that person...for reasons that I dislike.

True.

Another main three view.

You're holding it, telling me you know it's not factually valid. It's not. If racial groupings are socially constructed, they exist only as whatever people imagine they are.

It's the fact /belief distinction I mentioned before.

Enlightenment and entertainment. Feelings associated with the affirmation of your beliefs....probably frustrating when confronting them and maybe defensive?

It's ok. I'm not going to confront them. You aren't knocking on my door on Saturdays. Older woman? Did you choose your church or did you always go there?

Perhaps it would be more amusing to tell them I simply don't know until they can clearly define the categories.

Yeah I know we wouldn't have been able to drop the categories easily. I did get the message in school though that it wasn't a factual distinction, that it wasn't really meaningful. It wasn't hard to accept...even if not everyone understood. I guess I mistakenly thought most of us were getting the same message.

I am starting to lose what this conversation was about. ^_^
You believe that race is a social construct? So do I but for different reasons.

I believe we have an inbuilt response to look for similarities and differences in those we meet. This is as I was saying before so we can connect and build relationships but it's also used as a warning system for our safety.

I also believe we are fallen and sinful creatures, so this system is broken and instead of noticing signs for safety we jump to snap incorrect judgments. It can be based on race but it can be based on other signals as well such as wealth.

As to how race came about I believe this came from people wanting to believe humans evolved in different places and that one race was more highly evolved then another. That along with assigning a bunch of facial features or skin colour to a race that they also assigned attributes as well. Once that kind of belief was in place it is easy for people to make broad sweeping generalizations such as "Asians are smart", "White people are racists" and "Black people commit crimes"

To me racism is simply one sin of many. I don't believe in races because I don't believe biology shows there to be races but also because I know we are all descendants of Adam and Eve. I am not asking you to believe that.
I have two reasons and you have one, that is all. I think we both agree that:
1. There is no biological base to race and
2. It would be good if racial categories were done away with.

I don't think it ever will because of the sinfulness of mankind.

No, I was an agnostic before I became a Christian.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I am starting to lose what this conversation was about. ^_^
You believe that race is a social construct? So do I but for different reasons.

I believe we have an inbuilt response to look for similarities and differences in those we meet. This is as I was saying before so we can connect and build relationships but it's also used as a warning system for our safety.

I also believe we are fallen and sinful creatures, so this system is broken and instead of noticing signs for safety we jump to snap incorrect judgments. It can be based on race but it can be based on other signals as well such as wealth.

As to how race came about I believe this came from people wanting to believe humans evolved in different places and that one race was more highly evolved then another. That along with assigning a bunch of facial features or skin colour to a race that they also assigned attributes as well. Once that kind of belief was in place it is easy for people to make broad sweeping generalizations such as "Asians are smart", "White people are racists" and "Black people commit crimes"

To me racism is simply one sin of many. I don't believe in races because I don't believe biology shows there to be races but also because I know we are all descendants of Adam and Eve. I am not asking you to believe that.
I have two reasons and you have one, that is all. I think we both agree that:
1. There is no biological base to race and
2. It would be good if racial categories were done away with.

I don't think it ever will because of the sinfulness of mankind.

No, I was an agnostic before I became a Christian.

Well even if he doesn't believe in Adam and Eve, I believe there may be some evidence that humans originated/evolved from the same geographic area and then migrated to various places over the course of time, so we would still be all related in that way in non-religious terms.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Oh yes it does. Giving them hormone therapy is chemically altering them. You can't argue they are not being altered.
From your link:
"COULD get hormone therapy"
"MAY soon clear a path"
"Doctors are now considering allowing children to undergo hormone therapy at earlier ages in order to change their bodies. Under current guidelines, that type of treatment is reserved for children 16 and older."

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Sure...here's approval of entire curriculum.

NY lawmaker wants sex ed for kindergartners

Under that group’s current standards, public and charter schools would have to teach 5-year-olds about “gender identity” and instruct 8-year-olds on hormone blockers to prevent puberty in transgender-identifying preteens.

Kids as young as 11 would get lectures on “vaginal, oral, and anal sex”; study “queer, two-spirit, asexual, pansexual” and other gender identities; and receive explicit instruction on the use of external and internal condoms, dental dams and other contraceptives.

There's a link, you can click it, and give it a read.

This stuff is everywhere now.

Here's my favorite examples....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnew...em-pulls-books-graphic-sex-libraries-80219516

These libraries are frequently online now.

On Friday, the school system initially said it was conducting a review. Later in the day, it said it was pulling “Gender Queer” by Maia Kobabe and “Lawn Boy” by Jonathan Evison from circulation pending a more detailed review

Hmmm...wonder why they did that?

Gender Queer," an illustrated memoir, contains explicit illustrations of oral sex and masturbation. The novel “Lawn Boy” contains graphic descriptions of sex between men and children.

I can't imagine why these parents are upset.

It's remarkable that the AG turned the FBI on these people. I would hope they start investigating the teachers, administrators, and authors of this filth.

People that want to ban books... so ironic in a country that claims to value "freedom".

To be so afraid of books talking about frank depictions of sexuality is deplorable.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,565.00
Faith
Pentecostal
From your link:
"COULD get hormone therapy"
"MAY soon clear a path"
"Doctors are now considering allowing children to undergo hormone therapy at earlier ages in order to change their bodies. Under current guidelines, that type of treatment is reserved for children 16 and older."

Yes children 16-18 are being chemically altered through hormone therapy. And as you can see the trans community is trying to get laws passed to allow it even younger. It's a terrible thing to have happen. And kids 16 years old gat get it done.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,565.00
Faith
Pentecostal
People that want to ban books... so ironic in a country that claims to value "freedom".

To be so afraid of books talking about frank depictions of sexuality is deplorable.

Freedom does not mean educating children in deviant behaviors and sexually explicit materials. You are just showing your stripes here. I would guess you are for child labor laws in order to protect the children. But when it comes to sexually educating the kids by any means and methodology including graphic sex then that's okay. No harm can come of that I'm sure.

Young kids are not prepared for that kind of nonsense. They can be psychologically damaged from it. And can be introduced to behaviors they are not psychologically equipped to deal with yet. It's sick and twisted.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Freedom does not mean educating children in deviant behaviors and sexually explicit materials. You are just showing your stripes here. I would guess you are for child labor laws in order to protect the children. But when it comes to sexually educating the kids by any means and methodology including graphic sex then that's okay. No harm can come of that I'm sure.

Young kids are not prepared for that kind of nonsense. They can be psychologically damaged from it. And can be introduced to behaviors they are not psychologically equipped to deal with yet. It's sick and twisted.

Protecting kids is not what this is about, this is about suppressing ideas that conservatives don't agree with.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,565.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Protecting kids is not what this is about, this is about suppressing ideas that conservatives don't agree with.

No it's about protecting kids from psychological damage.

There is plenty of things we disagree about with leftists. But it doesn't make those things damaging to kids. Like gun control. No this is something completely different.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
No it's about protecting kids from psychological damage.

There is plenty of things we disagree about with leftists. But it doesn't make those things damaging to kids. Like gun control. No this is something completely different.

I don't see sexual education and frank talk about sex as damaging to youth, and neither do the majority of Americans.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,565.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I don't see sexual education and frank talk about sex as damaging to youth, and neither do the majority of Americans.

We are not talking about sex education. We are talking about explicit and twisted exposure to sex that if a person out side of a school did that they could be accused of abusing the kid psychologically

Under that group’s current standards, public and charter schools would have to teach 5-year-olds about “gender identity” and instruct 8-year-olds on hormone blockers to prevent puberty in transgender-identifying preteens.

Kids as young as 11 would get lectures on “vaginal, oral, and anal sex”; study “queer, two-spirit, asexual, pansexual” and other gender identities; and receive explicit instruction on the use of external and internal condoms, dental dams and other contraceptives.
Gender Queer," an illustrated memoir, contains explicit illustrations of oral sex and masturbation. The novel “Lawn Boy” contains graphic descriptions of sex between men and children.

This stuff is garbage. Not science. It's nothing more than grooming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.