Visit site
✟2,860.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Believing and having faith is going to result in our desiring to please the Lord and keep His commands but it's not the keeping the law that saves us because none of us can keep it. "For by grace are ye saved through faith.."

But not only by faith. We are, indeed, saved by faith, since faith is what drives us to do the will of the Lord. But without works, our faith is nothing. Like I said earlier, imagine if Abraham had said, "God, I would sacrifice my only son, but I know that I should, and that's all I need." His faith in God was claimed righteous because he preformed the work.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love SOLA FIDE

Not to change ideas, but thought this one needs to be said

Faith alone, not faith with repentance of sins, nor faith with obedience, nor faith with submission, nor faith plus sacraments, nor faith plus penance, nor faith plus church attendance,

Is that FAITH

faith is intellectual

Faith is trusting

Faith isn't any thing else

Upvote 0

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
gradyll said:
I love SOLA FIDE

Not to change ideas, but thought this one needs to be said

Faith alone, not faith with repentance of sins, nor faith with obedience, nor faith with submission, nor faith plus sacraments, nor faith plus penance, nor faith plus church attendance,

And Holy Scripture says that faith without works is a dead faith.

Upvote 0

holeinone

Saint Holeinone
May 9, 2005
✟9,752.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
IgnatiusOfAntioch said:
And Holy Scripture says that faith without works is a dead faith.

Indeed, it is our works that mark us as the saved.

Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by [his] fruit]

Luk 6:44 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.

Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, [even] to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

But it is important to remember that the tree gives life to the fruit, the fruit does not give life to the tree.

Jhn 12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

Jhn 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Rom 6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

Upvote 0

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
livingproofGM said:
I find it interesting that most protestants condemn the Catholic Church of following the "tradtions of men" when many protestants (not all) follow doctrines such as "faith alone" (Sola Fide), "grace alone" (Sola Gratia), and "scripture alone" (Sola Scriptura), things that weren't invented until the 16th century, and invented by a man. Just a thought.
The Lord is not traditional, nor political, nor did He create denominations.....all of this comes from man, and is OUTSIDE of the plan of God. Think DIVINE viewpoint, and all else goes down the tubes.

Upvote 0
D

Deep_MindQuest

http://www.ourlordjesus.com/Chapter%202.htm

Jesus condemned the Pharisees for teaching traditions and commandments of men for doctrine of the Bible."But in vain they do worship me, teaching [for] doctrines the commandments of men". (Matt. 15:9) "neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men." (Mark 7:8) "and why do you yourselves transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition?" (Matthew 15:3) "thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that." (Mark 7:13) They were so caught up in tradition, they could not see the coming of the Messiah they had been waiting for; they did not know the time of their visitation (Luke 19:44). http://www.tzemach.org/articles/tradmen.htm

Upvote 0

Espada

Iēsous Christos Theou Huios Sōtēr
Nov 23, 2005
Buckinghamshire, England
✟15,954.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Following tradition is not a problem in itself, the question is how well does it fit in with scripture? Christmas for example is celebrated by most Christians and is tradition as it is not mentioned in the Bible for or against, as a result there is no problem. Certainly both Luther and Calvin followed tradition but they put the Bible first.

What Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for was using traditions which went against scripture.

Upvote 0

RhetorTheo

Melkite
Dec 19, 2003
✟2,933.00
Faith
Catholic
The OP has a good point. What is called "Biblical Christianity" is an ahistorical error, never contemplated by Scripture. It would be like taking the Army Manual and deciding that everything the US Army does is incorrect, that you know how a "real army" looks and lives by reading the manual, you can build an army by "manual only" without any indication in the manual that such can or should be done, that you can trust a manual distributed by the US Army while at the same time attacking and disparaging that army... it's bizarre and amazing, actually, if you imagine anybody doing the same thing in any other context.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.