trading for talents

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,112.00
Faith
Christian
I am a christian suffering from depression because I feel I need to serve God to win people to the kingdom. It looks bad being my age having never been good at anything and even losing my skills by which I mean what I was good at because I did not train did not reach a far level or level considered acceptable today.
I am not sure if you can be a fruitful christian in order to be considered a profitable person if you just have faith so I am not sure if you need to be faithful on talents to be saved. I believe salvation is a result of God changing you not you working. Though salvation is not of works works need to be done. And you are not responsible to do what you don't need to to survive. You are not responsible to work if it is beyond your ability and you are otherwise profitable in your spiritual life.

My problem is I don't know if I want to gain talents mainly because I am depressed and feel like I ran out of the holy spirit not feeling anymore beneficial to others even if I read the scripture and christian books no longer feeling the work of the holy spirit on me to do so to produce fruit in others.

I am hesitant to learn anything new which I will need assistance by others because I feel I am using people even if I pay them. I never liked to use people because I believe I hinder the gospel of God even Paul said that.

Yet Jesus said be faithful on talents. I don't think all people will hinder the gospel of God they may earn their right to get help but I feel for me I am getting way more than I deserve if I get help and it looks bad I am not content. I havent been faithful on any talent I do have to gain more. I havent done alot of good that I deserve to gain other talents. I feel I would cause those who help me gain a skill which many of them may not be christian to further feel they do not need christ and if they are still in my life they may see my preaching of christ as bible bashing and this may hurt their mental health

So I feel I am hindered from gaining skills but I feel depressed for not being able to serve Christ in some way

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whatever you are doing, you can serve Christ. Very, very few people are talented writers, speakers, or leaders. But some of us can fry food, sweep stuff, and package bananas. Some of us fall into the latter category. A lot of folks might be somewhere in between. Both are ok.

We don't have to be flashy or popular to be using our lives to glorify Christ. Maybe think of it less as "talents" and more as "am I following Christ?"

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,112.00
Faith
Christian
Thankyou I thought of being a monk but they need people to work there and I don't want to be obliged to stay a monk and have less freedom to serve God. I have to be under obedience to a superior so all my theology also. I feel I have talent to be moderately skilled in the world. I feel I fall inbetween as you said.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thankyou I thought of being a monk but they need people to work there and I don't want to be obliged to stay a monk and have less freedom to serve God. I have to be under obedience to a superior so all my theology also. I feel I have talent to be moderately skilled in the world. I feel I fall inbetween as you said.
That's ok. Some folks are called to monastic life. That is something perhaps to discern with prayer, as you grow, and keep following Christ.

Whatever your station in life, you can follow Christ. Just remember that.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There exists within the Catholic Church an option, in many cases, to adopt some monastic disciplines without entering an order as a professed religious (monk or nun). This is oftern called a "third order", and is often found in Franciscian communities.

Take your time. Grow, learn, pray. Follow Christ whever you are, and ask Him to lead and guide you. He will.

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,112.00
Faith
Christian
Paul said if anyone does not work he does not eat. God gave adam work to look after the world. He still had to look after the world but he would do so with toil. So does work have to be profitable? It was said cursed is the ground for your sake in toil you shall eat of it all your days. Prayer is work but I don't think I have the talent of full time prayer. Also I believe even monks have to work after they pray

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul said if anyone does not work he does not eat. God gave adam work to look after the world. He still had to look after the world but he would do so with toil. So does work have to be profitable? It was said cursed is the ground for your sake in toil you shall eat of it all your days. Prayer is work but I don't think I have the talent of full time prayer. Also I believe even monks have to work after they pray
We can pray as we work, too. My job is very simple, but as I work, as often as I can, I pray. So we can work and pray, and do both.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks I agree
Don't be too hard on yourself. Just follow Christ wherever you are in life, offer up what you do for Him, pray, and let Him help you figure out the rest! Be kind to others, love your neighbor, forgive those who wrong you, and just do the best you can, where you are. That's what I try to do.

I hear you. I sometimes think of how neat it would be to live a consecrated life, but also know that my calling is to be married, and in the world. That is not a bad calling. It's where God has put me, to help me grow.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
I am a christian suffering from depression because I feel I need to serve God to win people to the kingdom. It looks bad being my age having never been good at anything and even losing my skills by which I mean what I was good at because I did not train did not reach a far level or level considered acceptable today.
I am not sure if you can be a fruitful christian in order to be considered a profitable person if you just have faith so I am not sure if you need to be faithful on talents to be saved. I believe salvation is a result of God changing you not you working. Though salvation is not of works works need to be done. And you are not responsible to do what you don't need to to survive. You are not responsible to work if it is beyond your ability and you are otherwise profitable in your spiritual life.

My problem is I don't know if I want to gain talents mainly because I am depressed and feel like I ran out of the holy spirit not feeling anymore beneficial to others even if I read the scripture and christian books no longer feeling the work of the holy spirit on me to do so to produce fruit in others.

I am hesitant to learn anything new which I will need assistance by others because I feel I am using people even if I pay them. I never liked to use people because I believe I hinder the gospel of God even Paul said that.

Yet Jesus said be faithful on talents. I don't think all people will hinder the gospel of God they may earn their right to get help but I feel for me I am getting way more than I deserve if I get help and it looks bad I am not content. I havent been faithful on any talent I do have to gain more. I havent done alot of good that I deserve to gain other talents. I feel I would cause those who help me gain a skill which many of them may not be christian to further feel they do not need christ and if they are still in my life they may see my preaching of christ as bible bashing and this may hurt their mental health

So I feel I am hindered from gaining skills but I feel depressed for not being able to serve Christ in some way

Are you content with your lot in life? That G-d has you right where he knows is best for you? That he's having you do (or even not do) things which have the ultimate result of being what is best for you? That G-d is sovereign over every detail in your life, even over this test of faith and trust in Him that He's having you go through right now what is best for you (and conversely, others)?

There are perhaps many others (people) in your life already in your immediate circle, often beginning with your family, neighbors, daily or weekly contacts, that G-d in His sovereignty has brought you to in a place of influence. This shifting circle of influence is where He always wants you to be working, no matter the test you be going through.

Was there a point in your life just before you felt this way in your original post, that you stopped trusting in the goodness of G-d to put you on the shelf, so you can age enough to be used for some other purpose He's destined for you?

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Only skill I have really is creative writing, but it's not much use in the secular world unless I want to be a starving artist. Very few authors go on to become bestsellers.

In other words I feel utterly useless in the world. If it wasn't for certain factors currently forcing me to remain in the world then I possibly would have become a nun by now. I am mentally ill and feel your pain.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Try to maintain a pure heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Charles Spurgeon on this matter:

1 Corinthians 7:20
Some persons have the foolish notion that the only way in which they can live for God is by becoming ministers, missionaries, or Bible women. Alas! how many would be shut out from any opportunity of magnifying the Most High if this were the case.

Beloved, it is not office, it is earnestness; it is not position, it is grace which will enable us to glorify God.

God is most surely glorified in that cobbler's stall, where the godly worker, as he plies the awl, sings of the Saviour's love, ay, glorified far more than in many a prebendal stall where official religiousness performs its scanty duties. The name of Jesus is glorified by the poor unlearned carter as he drives his horse, and blesses his God, or speaks to his fellow labourer by the roadside, as much as by the popular divine who, throughout the country, like Boanerges, is thundering out the gospel. God is glorified by our serving Him in our proper vocations.

Take care, dear reader, that you do not forsake the path of duty by leaving your occupation, and take care you do not dishonour your profession while in it. Think little of yourselves, but do not think too little of your callings. Every lawful trade may be sanctified by the gospel to noblest ends. Turn to the Bible, and you will find the most menial forms of labour connected either with most daring deeds of faith, or with persons whose lives have been illustrious for holiness. Therefore be not discontented with your calling. Whatever God has made your position, or your work, abide in that, unless you are quite sure that he calls you to something else. Let your first care be to glorify God to the utmost of your power where you are. Fill your present sphere to His praise, and if He needs you in another He will show it you. This evening lay aside vexatious ambition, and embrace peaceful content.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour

In his Parable of the Talents, as in so many other parables of his, Jesus was speaking about the currency of Heaven : Charity - selfless love. He was not talking about worldly usefulness or money.

You are talking about 'talents' in the literal sense, which are worldly virtues, expressed in the skilful performance of worldly tasks. Jesus was actually very concerned that we should not confuse such worldly virtues, meritorious in themselves, though of limited merit, with supernatural virtues ; something all together different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,112.00
Faith
Christian
It is not a race who learns the more new things and does more good deeds. Whatever is outside of love is not rewarded.Whoever is given more he is given more to serve the kingdom. He teaches what he has to others.A talent is the natural ability in something .Though you can learn difficult things you are not judged by how much you know but how much you can serve with it. Therefore in the kingdom one may have the best reward who serves the most with the little talents he has

Last edited:
Upvote 0