Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Tracking the 10 billion dollar James Webb Space Telescope

December 25th - Liftoff
Deployed- spacecraft appendages (solar arrays, high gain antenna)
Working on - Unfolding sunshield
Hoping - Tower and mirrors deploy correctly

A lot can go wrong! Live from the James Webb site...

Where Is Webb? NASA/Webb

Yes, there is a lot that can go wrong, so I'd love to know why they're placing it 4x further from the earth than the moon. The Hubble telescope is in earth's orbit, which allowed it to be serviced when parts wore out, or anything else went wrong (like it did at the very beginning for Hubble). But the James Webb Telescope has no chance to be serviced. Something stops working, and it's done!
I just hope it works for many years before that happens.

• Agree
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe it split upon impact?

Also how did you find an object that small?
It's possible it split on impact or caused by corrosion.

I used a rare earth magnet attached to an old golf putter, it was like separating iron filings from a magnet.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, there is a lot that can go wrong, so I'd love to know why they're placing it 4x further from the earth than the moon. The Hubble telescope is in earth's orbit, which allowed it to be serviced when parts wore out, or anything else went wrong (like it did at the very beginning for Hubble). But the James Webb Telescope has no chance to be serviced. Something stops working, and it's done!
I just hope it works for many years before that happens.
The James Webb Space Telescope will be located at the second Lagrange point or L2.
At L2 the telescope stays in line with the Earth as it orbits around the Sun.
This will allow the satellite's large sunshield to protect the telescope from the light and heat of the Sun and Earth (and Moon).

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,981.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
What NASA is talking about is micrometeoroid impacts...
Yes, I understand that. And I understand that they were aware of the issue before they even began designing the telescope. I also understand that, to the extent practical, they incorporated mitigating features into the design.

What pains me the most is the understanding that the popular media distort these facts to create the impression that NASA have just realised that the telescope may be struck by a meteor (not micrometeor) imminently. And then some wonder why many have, or are developing, an anti-science viewpoint.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
What pains me the most is the understanding that the popular media distort these facts to create the impression that NASA have just realised that the telescope may be struck by a meteor (not micrometeor) imminently. And then some wonder why many have, or are developing, an anti-science viewpoint.
Yes; they do it as click-bait, without a care for the consequences.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Just in from the @NASAWebb team: "All 18 primary mirror segments and the secondary mirror are now fully deployed!" NASA Administrator Bill Nelson wrote in a tweet posted on Wednesday (Jan. 19). "Congratulations to the teams that have been working tirelessly since launch to get to this point. Soon, Webb will arrive at its new home, L2!"

JWST's golden primary mirror includes 18 individual hexagonal segments, each controlled by seven actuators that allow precise movements. All 18 segments are now in their deployed positions several days sooner than scheduled.

Where Is Webb? NASA/Webb

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
With mirrors now fully deployed, Webb is now gearing up for its next crucial step: A crucial burn to insert it into the L2 orbit, currently set for Monday, January 24...

Where Is Webb? NASA/Webb

I wonder what was the point of deploying the mirrors before it reached its destination. Seems like they'd be more exposed to risk being deployed while traveling a mile per second.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hopefully our scientists won't get overly distracted while calculating the L2 insertion point...
lars0896.gif

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
I wonder what was the point of deploying the mirrors before it reached its destination. Seems like they'd be more exposed to risk being deployed while traveling a mile per second.
Not really; JWST will still be travelling at high velocity relative to potential impactors when it orbits L2 and it will be there up to 20 years, so a week or two on the way is not an issue.

They may also have thought it better to deploy the major hardware elements before JWST was too far out, so that in case of problems, the stronger signal and shorter signal delay would make attempts to diagnose and rectify them easier (speculating here!).

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not really; JWST will still be travelling at high velocity relative to potential impactors when it orbits L2 and it will be there up to 20 years, so a week or two on the way is not an issue.

They may also have thought it better to deploy the major hardware elements before JWST was too far out, so that in case of problems, the stronger signal and shorter signal delay would make attempts to diagnose and rectify them easier (speculating here!).

The reflective surfaces have been pointing outward into space facing possible incoming micro-meteors since the shroud was ejected about 1 hour after lift off.

The "deployment" of the mirrors just completed moved them about one-half inch to get them free of the pegs that kept them from rattling during launch. Now they will conduct 3 (or so) months of fine focusing by moving the mirrors tiny amounts.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Article begins… Spacecraft controllers have begun powering up the four cutting-edge instruments on NASA's James Webb Space Telescope as they prepare for the observatory's first glimpses of a target star.

That star, called HD 84406, is located 241 light-years from Earth and part of the constellation Ursa Major, the Great Bear. The images will not be used for science, but will help the ground teams align the 18 golden segments of Webb's 21-foot-wide (6.5 meters) main mirror. The images will be taken by Webb's Near Infrared Camera (NIRCam), which first has to cool down to its operational temperature of minus 244 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 153 degrees Celsius).

NASA's James Webb Space Telescope turns on cameras to look at first star target

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Article begins… Spacecraft controllers have begun powering up the four cutting-edge instruments on NASA's James Webb Space Telescope as they prepare for the observatory's first glimpses of a target star.

That star, called HD 84406, is located 241 light-years from Earth and part of the constellation Ursa Major, the Great Bear. The images will not be used for science, but will help the ground teams align the 18 golden segments of Webb's 21-foot-wide (6.5 meters) main mirror. The images will be taken by Webb's Near Infrared Camera (NIRCam), which first has to cool down to its operational temperature of minus 244 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 153 degrees Celsius).

NASA's James Webb Space Telescope turns on cameras to look at first star target

21 foot mirror. That's 52" bigger than the mirror of the scope on Mt. Palomar, and this is a space telescope!
The views will be incredible!

Upvote 0