Torah, Food & Bugs: Which Kosher Insects Would You Be Comfortable Eating?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps it does have much to do with the difference in digestive systems, which can be complex and intricate, which He designed for the clean and unclean, which affects us positively or negatively upon consumption.
That's definately something to consider----as other animals may have the ability to process unclean foods they eat better than the animals deemed to be unclean...and thus, for those "clean" animals. Of course, others have noted that the issues of being "clean" and "unclean" may also deal more so with symbolism rather than issues of hygeine since many of the unclean animals have been ones that people have lived long lives/maintained healthy diets on.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Interesting, as I was reading this portion of one of your posts, I was thinking of the picture of humanity.

Humans - unclean animals on the food list - can have "honey" come from their mouths (Torah is often analagous to honey... as words which nourish, edify, teach, etc.), and those who pour forth this "honey" from their lips are found in the world - or "hive" - and at times speak this "honey" in the presence of "dead bees", but that does not make the "honey" unclean.:cool:
Good analogy...and interesting to consider from a birds eye view on how the Lord can see us.

Proverbs 16:24
Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
Proverbs 16:23-25

Proverbs 24:14
Know also that wisdom is like honey for you: If you find it, there is a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.
Proverbs 24:13-15

Psalm 19:10
They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the honeycomb.
Psalm 19:9-11/ Psalm 19

Psalm 119:103
How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Psalm 119:102-104 /Psalm 119

Ezekiel 3:3
Then he said to me, “Son of man, eat this scroll I am giving you and fill your stomach with it.” So I ate it, and it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth. He then said to me: “Son of man, go now to the people of Israel and speak my words to them
Ezekiel 3:2-4 Ezekiel 3

Revelation 10:9-11/ Revelation 10
Then the voice that I had heard from heaven spoke to me once more: “Go, take the scroll that lies open in the hand of the angel who is standing on the sea and on the land.”9 So I went to the angel and asked him to give me the little scroll. He said to me, “Take it and eat it. It will turn your stomach sour, but ‘in your mouth it will be as sweet as honey.’[” 10 I took the little scroll from the angel’s hand and ate it. It tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth, but when I had eaten it, my stomach turned sour.

As for the OP... I would definitely remove the head with the viscera and lower tail part, since I think I could handle crunchy and chewy much better than I could squishy and slimey!!!
Honestly, there are times I wish I had grown up being used to eating it since it's really not the texture that bothers me as much as the image of what I'm eating----but that's no different from other foods we eat that are squishy and crunchy/chewy.

Upvote 0

sevengreenbeans

Remember Yosef
Oct 4, 2012
New Mexico
✟16,597.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Easy G (G²);61685150 said:
Honestly, there are times I wish I had grown up being used to eating it since it's really not the texture that bothers me as much as the image of what I'm eating----but that's no different from other foods we eat that are squishy and crunchy/chewy.

^_^Yes!

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You can have my grasshoppers if I can have your helping of frozen yogurt!!
Yogurt used to be something I loved...but now it seems that it's hard for me to enjoy like I used to.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Almost came close to doing something similar to risking eating insect when I was in Panama (the country) for vacation and they had certain things available in the Buffet section:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0