top 25 [dumb] quotes by Gorege W. Bush

Beauty4Ashes

All that I need, is a song in my heart. . .
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
✟28,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is what I don't like about the use of that quote. (Although I do agree to some extent that you can't just say anything you want about him.)

The problem is that too often people read that quote out of context. If you look at the whole thing Jesus is answering the question about paying taxes. So here is how it goes (In my words)

Guy: Jesus should we pay taxes.
Jesus: Get out your money. . . Who's face is on that money?
Guy: Ceaser (The emperor)
Jesus: Well then its his, give it to him if he wants it.

The teaching was more about Jesus saying "Look money is not that important because its an earthly creation. Its just sort of a tool really. So why "fight the power" on something that is so unimportant.

I think when it comes to the government and Christianity, that the bible really teaches us more or less to "pick your battles."

It doesn't teach us to just obey our leaders no matter what. Especially if obeying them runs counter to our faith and what God tells us to do. But it also tells us that we shouldn't fight them just to be fighting them or use our faith as an excuse to fight them.

JMO

Umm...excuse me... But that was not the only verse I referred to, just because it's the only one I put in quotations. I'm sick...ok I didnt feel like looking up the other one. But if you are going to go off on what I said, like I kind of expected people to, then let me atleast put in the other verse I was thinking of...which means I have to go look it up :doh: because apparently quotations are important to you.

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment, and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. So the person who resists such authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment (for rulers cause no fear for good conduct but for bad). Do you desire not to fear authority? Do good and you will receive its commendation, for it is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be in fear, for it does not bear the sword in vain. It is God’s servant to administer retribution on the wrongdoer

Romans 13:1-7

Upvote 0

Teufelhund

Senior Veteran
Jul 29, 2007
Camp Pendleton, Ca
✟18,575.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How can you guys make fun of Bush? Hes the average American, and if we came to California he would be one of the most intelligent people in the state
No, it's like we have Stanford University, or UC-Berkeley here. Although there does seem to be an overabundance of idiots every place I've been, so I could just be wrong. Anyways, don't take this serious, I'm just joshing, normally I would assume it's obvious but this forum melts down so quick, so this a joke, it is not intended to be mean, it is a joke. Sorry about the disclaimer.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Umm...excuse me... But that was not the only verse I referred to, just because it's the only one I put in quotations. I'm sick...ok I didnt feel like looking up the other one. But if you are going to go off on what I said, like I kind of expected people to, then let me atleast put in the other verse I was thinking of...which means I have to go look it up :doh: because apparently quotations are important to you.

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment, and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. So the person who resists such authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment (for rulers cause no fear for good conduct but for bad). Do you desire not to fear authority? Do good and you will receive its commendation, for it is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be in fear, for it does not bear the sword in vain. It is God’s servant to administer retribution on the wrongdoer

Romans 13:1-7

Critizing the president is not resisting his authority.

I think Bush has been a failure as president. But if Bush told me to come to Washington (even if he gave no reason) right away. I would be in washington with all haste and urgency.

And obviously you have to recognize there are some limits to this too. In the opinion of the emperors simpily being Christian at the time was resisting their authority. And would a good Christian in Germany not stand against Adolf Hitler's murderous regieme?

Now where the line is drawn its hard to say.

My basic saying was I felt the scripture on taxes was more related to a teaching about money then a teaching about governmental authority.

Upvote 0

vonPrutz

Mar 11, 2007
Burbank
✟16,074.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, I'll be nice enough and give him that. I just disagree with how he's doing his job.

I concur hes a terrible conservative. While I love the tax cuts hes given us it doesnt make up for the moral degradation of our nation and gross overspending

Upvote 0

vonPrutz

Mar 11, 2007
Burbank
✟16,074.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, it's like we have Stanford University, or UC-Berkeley here. Although there does seem to be an overabundance of idiots every place I've been, so I could just be wrong. Anyways, don't take this serious, I'm just joshing, normally I would assume it's obvious but this forum melts down so quick, so this a joke, it is not intended to be mean, it is a joke. Sorry about the disclaimer.

Those look like dress blues to me, you wouldnt happen to be a Marine would you? California does have some brilliant individuals, but on the whole our public school system is a joke, churning out ignorant fools who will do nothing in life but float from one joke to another. Making it out as if college is the only way to be successful in life was a big mistake

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those look like dress blues to me, you wouldnt happen to be a Marine would you? California does have some brilliant individuals, but on the whole our public school system is a joke, churning out ignorant fools who will do nothing in life but float from one joke to another. Making it out as if college is the only way to be successful in life was a big mistake

Its not the only way but education is the standard way and probably the easiest way. Not everyone will become Micheal Dell.

The public school systems are churning out ignorant fools everywhere. I help with our middle school youth and I've been amazed at what I see sometimes. We where going to play duck duck goose except the goose was any type of mammel (sp?). The problem is we couldn't do that, because about 4 or 5 kids didn't know what a mammel was.

Then there was another time that we where trying to do random stories and we had to explain what a noun, a verb, an adjective, and an adverb where. Plus some of them read very substandardly. One of the other sunday school teachers teaches 2nd grade in her full time job. And she even commented to me that she couldn't belive how bad of readers the kids are.

Our current system doesn't teach people how to think, only how to memorize facts. It doesn't teach them how to teach themselves either.

And sadly enough our culture is the biggest problem of all. Parents arn't home enough to see to it that their children are doing well in school. They don't even seem to ask or care about any of it. And as a result their kids don't care, its a big joke to them.

It makes me really angery sometimes the amount of tax money we pay out to give these children an education to see them treat it like a joke and just not care. Too many people just like being average.

Upvote 0

vonPrutz

Mar 11, 2007
Burbank
✟16,074.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Couldnt have said it better myself Luther. The big problem is that public schools arent around because the people wanted it, its because business wanted them. We need a college educated workforce and thats why schools push it so much. Not because its the best way to go, but because thats what the wealthy need to keep their businesses moving. I came from a family of capitalists and my family doesnt even care if I graduate high school or not because they believe I should be building a business right now. Because once I build one Ill be able to pick out good ones and make even better investments. Not to mention that the tax laws for businesses are so amazing I can go my entire life making millions of dollars a year and never paying more then 15% in taxes

Upvote 0

Neve

Always even
Jul 27, 2006
Corona
✟14,608.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Its not the only way but education is the standard way and probably the easiest way. Not everyone will become Micheal Dell.

The public school systems are churning out ignorant fools everywhere. I help with our middle school youth and I've been amazed at what I see sometimes. We where going to play duck duck goose except the goose was any type of mammel (sp?). The problem is we couldn't do that, because about 4 or 5 kids didn't know what a mammel was.

Then there was another time that we where trying to do random stories and we had to explain what a noun, a verb, an adjective, and an adverb where. Plus some of them read very substandardly. One of the other sunday school teachers teaches 2nd grade in her full time job. And she even commented to me that she couldn't belive how bad of readers the kids are.

Our current system doesn't teach people how to think, only how to memorize facts. It doesn't teach them how to teach themselves either.

And sadly enough our culture is the biggest problem of all. Parents arn't home enough to see to it that their children are doing well in school. They don't even seem to ask or care about any of it. And as a result their kids don't care, its a big joke to them.

It makes me really angery sometimes the amount of tax money we pay out to give these children an education to see them treat it like a joke and just not care. Too many people just like being average.

True, a lot of parents don't care about the kids. Sadly enough, the teachers don't care either. Our government tests and tests the kids in chapter one schools only to see that they are failing, and they still let them pass onto the next grade level. In order to turn the education system around (whether it's public or private), a joint effort must be made by the government (for public), the teachers, and the parents not to do what's best for the pocket books, but to do what is best for the academic lives of the students.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True, a lot of parents don't care about the kids. Sadly enough, the teachers don't care either. Our government tests and tests the kids in chapter one schools only to see that they are failing, and they still let them pass onto the next grade level. In order to turn the education system around (whether it's public or private), a joint effort must be made by the government (for public), the teachers, and the parents not to do what's best for the pocket books, but to do what is best for the academic lives of the students.

I agree the teachers sometimes don't care either. But I'm a firm beliver that the biggest changes come from changes in culture.

But parents have to take it seriously and get involved in their child's education. Even with Sunday school I can tell you that the more interested and involved a parent is in their kid's confirmation the more serious the student takes it the more the student learns.

I know some of the parents of my kids and they are doing freaking awesome in my class. And I met their parents because their parents introduced themselves to me. But yet on the other hand the kids that blow the class off are the kids who's parents I've never met.

And sadly enough about 75% of the parents of our middle schoolers consider some of our activities with the confrimation kids (outside of sunday school) to just be free child care.

I just can't belive how someone can claim to belive the things that Christians belive but completly blow it off.

Upvote 0

kingoffools13

Jun 14, 2007
PA
✟12,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I read through the list on the link ... I don't think that any of his comments have ever been "dumb" in the sense that those wishing to ridicule would mean it, most of them have been simple mistakes or slips of the tongue, but this list specifically, most of the quotes aren't even among those kinds of quotes. These are mostly (if not all) taken either out of context or misunderstood by the person who listed them as "dumb".

I'd probably not call him an elegant speaker, for the most part he is just a normal man in many ways and does not pretend or try to be anything else; in that he is very humble. However in comparing him to other political figures, I'd say he is at least par for the course if not better, specifically given that when he is talking he is saying something and not planting his feet firmly in the middle of the air.

K
O
f

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums