Fides et Ratio
Jan 8, 2004
São Paulo, Brazil
✟16,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I particularly don't like South Park too much, and I don't watch it either, but I like Scientology a lot less. This mind-controling cult gets away with mostly censuring every negative thing that could be said about them in the media (true, it is not the case here).

I also can't understand how people I admired (at least from the little I knew of them) like Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Juliette Lewis could be drawn to such a brainwashing sect and believe in their absurd doctrines. This is one of those religious that is so patently false that the only way to adhere to them is to become fanatical to the point of impairing one's reasoning abilities.
I guess all we can do is pray for those fooled by this cult to convert (or revert) back to the true faith.

Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
aixia said:
Let me just defend South Park here a moment. First of all, they call themselves "Equal Opportunity Offenders." No one and nothing is sacred to them, they are spoofing and parodying and making fun of everything they can. If you're offended by it, change the channel and watch something else. They'll be done making fun of religion when it stops being funny to them and something else comes along. Comedy often has a very short shelf life, especially when it comes to something so specifically topical.

As for the whole Scientology thing, I have to agree with Matt Parker and Trey Stone- Isaac Hayes had no problem bashing other people's religions, but couldn't handle it when someone make fun of his. Tom Cruise is the same way. He'll gladly tell Brooke Sheilds that she's an idiot for using psychotheraputic drugs and yet has a cow when someone makes fun of the oddball things he's doing lately. You can't have it both ways. You have to be willing to take it yourself if you're going to dish it out.

I think it's deplorable if Viacom really did cave to Tom Cruise's threats to pull South Park episodes (and reruns at that), especially since he'd already been promoting the silly movie anyway and the promotional materials have been made for ages. All that would be missed is the tv talk show circuit, and really, the commercials and trailers are probably more worthwhile marketing anyway.

However, I will also say, that Viacom may have actually done something smart here. With all the publicity, both the movie and South Park have gotten incredible press the last couple days. I know I went on Comedy Central's site to watch the video clips of the offending show. They're still making a killing, even without showing the episode again. I don't think they should have done it, I think they could have made a very good stand for free speech here, but they still made a decent marketing move, if that's what it was.

Hi . . .:thumbsup:

Gotta say:
I really APPRECIATE what you have posted!!:thumbsup:
I, myself, ADMIRE Tom Cruise for having the "guts" to voice publicly, Negative Comments about the myth of Psychicatry and their use of VERY harmful DRUGS. ~Psychiatry truly ain't all it's "cracked-up" to be!;) ~

You used the phrase:
"Equal Opportunity Offenders" :p . . .

I REALLY REALLY like that . . .

BUT,
How come, if someone were to crack jokes about homosexuals or tout the "blessings" of Heterosexuals . . . It would NOT have the same effect as South Park???:confused: :confused: :confused:

How come it's accepted when Moslems are highly "touchy" if anyone cracks jokes about them . . .

During LENT we recall:
The Way of The Cross
#2669 CCC

The Seventh Station
Jesus Falls For The Second Time
:angel:

Upvote 0

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I assure you that South Park makes fun of gays and Muslims just as much as they make fun of everyone else. I'd elaborate, but this is a family website.

In related news, the case of Issac Hayes/Chef is getting more and more interesting. Andrew Sullivan has details:

http://time.blogs.com/daily_dish/2006/03/the_mystery_of_.html

Upvote 0

DJ B.K.

But I'm Le Tired...
Jun 24, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
Visit site
✟26,051.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
HolyGuardianAngels said:
Hi . . .

Gotta say:
I really APPRECIATE what you have posted!!
I, myself, ADMIRE Tom Cruise for having the "guts" to voice publicly, Negative Comments about the myth of Psychicatry and their use of VERY harmful DRUGS. ~Psychiatry truly ain't all it's "cracked-up" to be! ~

You used the phrase:
"Equal Opportunity Offenders" . . .

I REALLY REALLY like that . . .

BUT,
How come, if someone were to crack jokes about homosexuals or tout the "blessings" of Heterosexuals . . . It would NOT have the same effect as South Park???

How come it's accepted when Moslems are highly "touchy" if anyone cracks jokes about them . . .

During LENT we recall:
The Way of The Cross
#2669 CCC

The Seventh Station
Jesus Falls For The Second Time

What exactly were you trying to say with this post?

Upvote 0

aixia

Dec 28, 2005
✟7,917.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
BillH said:
I assure you that South Park makes fun of gays and Muslims just as much as they make fun of everyone else. I'd elaborate, but this is a family website.

In related news, the case of Issac Hayes/Chef is getting more and more interesting. Andrew Sullivan has details:

http://time.blogs.com/daily_dish/2006/03/the_mystery_of_.html
As BillH said, South Park does make fun of Muslims and homosexuals. They make fun of everybody. If you're doing it in the kind of vein that they are, that is, making fun of everyone equally, then it becomes something completely different than simply making fun of homosexuals because you don't like them. Bigotry is not funny and is offensive.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.