Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I heard on the radio this morning that Tom Cruise said he would not be a part of Mission Impossible...'IF' the bashing South Park did a spoof on scientologists.

1) How come he gets his way?
2) Why is So Park after religion?
Who inspires this?

It is not funny to the religious...so it is only funny to the adversary.

Chick Tracts in animation. {Only thing...it covers equally all religions}

Not that I agree with scientology....but it seems to become quite a thing for them to attack Religion.

And I would not even watch it if they did spoofs against other religions only because then I would condone that behavior and that would make the RCC spoof equally amusing, in the manner of equality that is.

WHICH it wasnt even slightly amusing they did that. Altho I dont watch the junk.:doh:

aixia

Dec 28, 2005
✟7,917.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let me just defend South Park here a moment. First of all, they call themselves "Equal Opportunity Offenders." No one and nothing is sacred to them, they are spoofing and parodying and making fun of everything they can. If you're offended by it, change the channel and watch something else. They'll be done making fun of religion when it stops being funny to them and something else comes along. Comedy often has a very short shelf life, especially when it comes to something so specifically topical.

As for the whole Scientology thing, I have to agree with Matt Parker and Trey Stone- Isaac Hayes had no problem bashing other people's religions, but couldn't handle it when someone make fun of his. Tom Cruise is the same way. He'll gladly tell Brooke Sheilds that she's an idiot for using psychotheraputic drugs and yet has a cow when someone makes fun of the oddball things he's doing lately. You can't have it both ways. You have to be willing to take it yourself if you're going to dish it out.

I think it's deplorable if Viacom really did cave to Tom Cruise's threats to pull South Park episodes (and reruns at that), especially since he'd already been promoting the silly movie anyway and the promotional materials have been made for ages. All that would be missed is the tv talk show circuit, and really, the commercials and trailers are probably more worthwhile marketing anyway.

However, I will also say, that Viacom may have actually done something smart here. With all the publicity, both the movie and South Park have gotten incredible press the last couple days. I know I went on Comedy Central's site to watch the video clips of the offending show. They're still making a killing, even without showing the episode again. I don't think they should have done it, I think they could have made a very good stand for free speech here, but they still made a decent marketing move, if that's what it was.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
1.gif.jpeg

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
rosewaning said:
Stone and Parker decided not to run the episode out of respect for Issac Hayes.
I haven't watched it in a LONG time, but didn't he play Chef's voice? And wasn't he the bartender on the loveboat?

Please don't tell me that he died. :(

Michelle

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DJ B.K.

But I'm Le Tired...
Jun 24, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
Visit site
✟26,051.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Miss Shelby said:
I haven't watched it in a LONG time, but didn't he play Chef's voice? And wasn't he the bartender on the loveboat?

Please don't tell me that he died. :(

Michelle

Nope, they just decided to not play the episode due to Hayes' opposition.

I personally think it's hypocritical of him to get upset now though due to the fact the South Park has made fun of every type of person for years now and just getting offended now because it's hit you is wrong. Maybe if he would've said that he now knows how everybody else offended by the show feels because of this I would be with him, but it does not seem that he did. Just doesn't want his religion made fun of.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
DJ B.K. said:
Nope, they just decided to not play the episode due to Hayes' opposition.

I personally think it's hypocritical of him to get upset now though due to the fact the South Park has made fun of every type of person for years now and just getting offended now because it's hit you is wrong. Maybe if he would've said that he now knows how everybody else offended by the show feels because of this I would be with him, but it does not seem that he did. Just doesn't want his religion made fun of.
ah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
bostonlass said:
what does south park have to do with mission impossible? Is it made by the same people or am I missing something here?

Comedy Central and Paramount Pictures (the folks who are making MI:3) are both owned by Viacom, I believe.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.