Tolerant or Respect

Exegete12

Veteran
Jan 7, 2006
✟2,108.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
In one of our country's major newspapers, the editorial section was talking about the diversity of the country. A few politicians and liberals and others start ranting and raving about religion, and what can stay and what can go.

Anyway it was of the editorial view that we can tolerate a religion but not necessarily respect that religion. Or not necessarily respect parts of that religion.

Is this the common view point that secular's are becoming to take on board?

Does Christianity say tolerate religions or respect other religions? What about Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism .... do these religions have a similar view point or what? ... thanks.

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In one of our country's major newspapers, the editorial section was talking about the diversity of the country. A few politicians and liberals and others start ranting and raving about religion, and what can stay and what can go.

Anyway it was of the editorial view that we can tolerate a religion but not necessarily respect that religion. Or not necessarily respect parts of that religion.

Does Christianity say tolerate religions or respect other religions? What about Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism .... do these religions have a similar view point or what? ... thanks.

It seems to me that Christianity teaches us to tolerate other religions and respect its adherants, but not necessarily to hold respect for those religions. Of course it is written that we should "do what is honorable in the sight of all." To express disrespect for other religions would offend that religion's adherants, and would thus be dishonorable. It seems to me that we shouldn't make unnecesary criticisms of false religions, though we must always assert their falsehood.

Upvote 0

The Midge

Towel Bearer
Jun 25, 2003
UK
Visit site
✟11,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which country is that?

Upvote 0

Exegete12

Veteran
Jan 7, 2006
✟2,108.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
God's Book; the Holy Quran says:-

60: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. Allâh does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion and did not drive you out of your homes. Verily, Allâh loves those who deal with equity. [/FONT]
This always persplexes me, then why do Sunni Muslims SEEM to not tolerate Shiite Muslims? Apart from historical accounts, why can't these be now nullified?

Upvote 0

Exegete12

Veteran
Jan 7, 2006
✟2,108.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that Christianity teaches us to tolerate other religions and respect its adherants, but not necessarily to hold respect for those religions. Of course it is written that we should "do what is honorable in the sight of all." To express disrespect for other religions would offend that religion's adherants, and would thus be dishonorable. It seems to me that we shouldn't make unnecesary criticisms of false religions, though we must always assert their falsehood.
I think that is very well said, brother.

Upvote 0

Druweid

{insert witty phrase}
Aug 13, 2005
Massachusetts
✟19,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Greetings!

Among Pagans, it is generally understood that all religions are tolerated, but not necessarily respected. A person's choice of religion, however, is respected, and though that does not preclude discussion or debate, it would certainly be disrespectful to outright vilify a religion to it's adherent.

Respectfully,
-- Druweid

Reactions: SquareC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mskedi

Senior Veteran
Dec 13, 2005
✟21,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I don't think we can say what Christians as a whole tolerate or respect simply because I think it will be an individual's opinion rather than a whole church consensus.

I can say that I do genuinely respect most world religions, but that there are some religions out there that I have no respect for. Those tend to be the fringe-type religions -- scientology and the like.

Also, regardless of whether or not I respect the religious institution itself, I am perfectly capable of respecting its adherents.

Upvote 0

Snowbunny

Mexican Princess
Jul 24, 2006
Kiawah Island, Charleston South Carolina
Visit site
✟13,581.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think we can say what Christians as a whole tolerate or respect simply because I think it will be an individual's opinion rather than a whole church consensus.

thats why i think we should talk about what our religions say we should act like... not how we actually act...

but i think people are afraid we would find out we are more similar than different

Upvote 0

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Feb 5, 2005
Wasatch Mountains
✟15,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you arunma...one can not offend a religion but one most definately can offend it's praticioners.

:)

Reactions: SquareC
Upvote 0

SquareC

Blessed Be!
Jul 8, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟9,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think we all seem to be in the same chapter if not on the same page! :thumbsup:

I can certainly respect people's right to their own religious choices and the people themselves, although I can't honestly say that I respect what every religion teaches. And there are things worthy of respect in almost every religion, even if we don't agree with the entirety.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Namaste all,

interesting OP.

the Buddha Dharma takes a different view on this than most, but that should not be a surprise to our regular readers ;)

generally speaking, the Buddhist view is that a religious paradigm is a method or "vehicle" that a being empolys in their religious/spiritual journey. as such, Buddhism views religions which espouse a valid moral and ethical path as valid "spiritual refuges" which is a transliteration of a Sanskrit term. what we mean by this term is that these Vehicles are capable of transforming a being in a spiritual manner. what constitutes a "valid" moral and ethical path is, briefly, teachings which mirror the major precepts of our path.

most beings tend to be lay Buddhists and, as such, there are 5 moral precepts which one adheres to. we can discuss that in more depth on another thread though :)

so.. that is a long winded way of saying:

the overall Buddhist view is that if your religious paradigm teaches a valid moral and ethical framework it is a valid Spiritual Refuge and we are encouraged to learn about them and understand their views.

it is often somewhat glossed over in the modern Western Hemisphere Buddhists however the Buddha himself told the Sangha to go forth and spread the Dharma.

there is a negative connotation in such activities due to the overly zealous nature of some of the Abrahamic faiths in their methods and, as such, the modern Western Buddhist goes about showing the Dharma in a very different manner than it was historically.

hmm.. did that answer the question?

:scratch:

metta,

~v

Upvote 0

Exegete12

Veteran
Jan 7, 2006
✟2,108.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so the Western seculars would have it that we tolerant the adherents of a religion but not respect them???

Under a website Christianity Today there was a good message there, it has been paraphrased:

"Respect for Differences:
… Christian leaders would be better off sticking to all the facts. No one can honestly dispue that a number of Muslim-ruled nations deprive their citizens of basic rights, that some militant Muslims kill their political opponents, etc... But Islam would not have become the second largest world religion if it were experienced as thoroughly evil, as these comments suggest."

Still more:

"Despite profound and irreconcilable differences, Islam and Christianity share some important things: belief in the power of prayer, a belief in an authoritative revelation from God, and a vision for a moral, just society."

still more ....

"'We dont need to be afraid of appreciating the good in others,' says Ajith Fernando, a leading Sri Lankan evangelical. 'The Christian method of approaching those of other faiths is to go in love.'"

Fernando, who works with Buddhists, Hindus, and Muslims, fears that American Christians, after the September 11 attacks, are tempted to hate Muslims and risk fixating on security issues. 'What is the priority? Evangelism or security? I think the priority is evangelism. Whatever it takes for us to bring the Muslim to Christ. That is our agenda.'

"The gospel is something that stands by itself", Fernando says. "It's the answer of the Creator of the world for the problem of the world."

That means, among other things, weighing our public statements about Islam so that the door of the gospel is never shut because Muslims think we're intolerant or hostile.

It also might mean reclaiming common ground with Muslims. After all, before 9/11, Muslims were one of our few international allies in fighting the materialism and decadence that tear at the fabric of families. Is it possible for Muslims and Christians to encounter each other through their families, generating new relationships?"

And finally, this will really hit a nerve:

"In short, if we hope to demonstrate the love and saving power of Christ to Muslims, we're going to have to cease the name calling and reach out in love – YES, especially to those who in some respects now are considered our 'enemies'."

Reactions: The Midge
Upvote 0

TricksterWolf

Sep 15, 2006
Ohio
✟9,063.00
Faith
Taoist

I can't speak for all Philisophical Daoists, but I would go beyond tolerance, respect, and even admiration to outright nurturance of other religions. I'm glad that a multitude of beliefs exist and would like to see them all explored further. :) I think the Way things work in life is much better at sorting out truth from falsehood than I ever could hope to do.

I do think that people can get caught up in ways of thinking and acting that are likely to bring them less than satisfactory results in life, but I observe these without judgment and without the compulsion to induce change. I allow people to observe me, I observe them, and I answer questions they may have.

Trickster

Upvote 0