Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do we have any fans of Tokusatsu in the house? Tokusatsu, for those who don't know, is an umbrella term in Japan used to cover live action TV dramas and movies that feature extensive special effects--a lot of which are CGI these days but there's still a lot of "guy in a suit" and miniature set action happening as well. Godzilla falls into that category--daikaiju cinema handily fits in there in general. Here are some examples of the genre which happen to be favorites of mine as well:

--Gojira/Godzilla
--Gamera (especially the 90's trilogy helmed by Shusuke Kaneko and Shinji Higuchi which is often considered the best daikaiju eiga--"giant monster movies"--ever made)
--Kamen Rider (literal translation: "Masked Rider", which has been popular in Japan since 1971 and has changed a lot since then)
--Ultraman (Japan's OG giant superhero since 1966)
--Super Sentai (AKA "Power Rangers" over here, and needless to say, the original is WAY better most of the time)
--GARO (Keita Amemiya is a flippin' genius and this is consistently one of the best modern J-dramas around, IMO)

And lots and lots of other TV shows and movies fall into this category as well. If you remember the old Gamera movies from the 60's and early 70's, they don't hold a candle to the 90's movies, trust me on that one.

Anybody who wants to talk about this thoroughly fun and awesome genre, male or female, hit me up!