Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1st Corinthians Chapter 1 New Living Translation

18 The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God.

21 Since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never know him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to save those who believe.

To those of you who are trying to prove God with science, your heart may be in the right place, but you will never truly succeed in proving God is real with human wisdom. People who do not know if or do not think God is real have made a choice to not seek God. All you can do is be a good example and someone to lean on or someone to point them in the right direction if they ever do decide to go looking for Jesus, meaning sincerely reading the Bible, and or sincerely praying to Jesus.
I don't know about that. I have read about scientists who have come to God merely through the science they were using. The science revealed a greater depth of Gods creative power and this swayed them. But you may be right in that these people were more inclined to believe in the first place. I still think that for some science helps them understand God more and if they are honest the amazing complexity and beauty life reveals will bring them to only one conclusion that there had to be some agent behind what we see.

This is spoken about in Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. This shows that everyone that looks at Gods creation should know that God is the creator but some may harden their hearts and deny this because the lure of this material world can be great. In that way no amount of explaining or witnessing will help.

• Agree
Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

Ohj1n37

May 13, 2018
North Carolina
✟25,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Well, we can agree to disagree. All I am trying to point out is that I believe before someone can see God they have to come to him through Jesus and there is scripture backing this up. I believe the scripture and instances that have been referenced of those coming to God through science or through the beauty of nature are not totally correct. I believe a person in those instances had humbled themselves before God and opened their heart to Jesus. I believe then after this all the science the person knows starts to make sense in the context of God.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, we can agree to disagree. All I am trying to point out is that I believe before someone can see God they have to come to him through Jesus and there is scripture backing this up. I believe the scripture and instances that have been referenced of those coming to God through science or through the beauty of nature are not totally correct. I believe a person in those instances had humbled themselves before God and opened their heart to Jesus. I believe then after this all the science the person knows starts to make sense in the context of God.
Yes that is what I was referring to when I said that even though scientists may have a revelation or perhaps spiritual awakening through what they see they were already open to taking that leap of faith and it is only faith where they can accept Christ into their heart and give them a relationship with God. Many other scientists will not have this happen. The thing is you don't have to be a scientists and understand the deeper workings of Gods creation to have faith.

You are right that it is only after believing in God that we can see and hear what we could not see and hear before accepting Christ. But I think just as a life experiences such as a near death experience or when someone witnesses to a person at a certain time and place in that persons life that certain events can help us open our hearts to accepting Christ. This includes for some scientists as compared to laypeople seeing some of the inner workings of the cosmos or human life. But maybe these people may have already began to open their hearts or at least their hearts were not hardened to the possibility. Or even already had some faith and did not realize it.

Upvote 0

Ohj1n37

May 13, 2018
North Carolina
✟25,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
But maybe these people may have already began to open their hearts or at least their hearts were not hardened to the possibility. Or even already had some faith and did not realize it.

I agree with pretty much everything you said and what I quoted you saying is what I am trying to get at.

1st Corinthians Chapter 1 New Living Translation

18 The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God.

I will explain how I see this verse. I will explain the second sentence then use that to explain the first.

The very power of God, the awesomeness of God, is what he did for us on the cross. God became human to teach us how to live, to die an undeserved death, and to rise from the dead. See, sin is selfishness and by God choosing to die when he is blameless and take the blame for all our selfishness, all of our sin, he performed the ultimate act of selflessness. When people realize who Jesus is and realize what he did and that he didn't have to do that, but choose to do that, even when people were mocking him, spitting on him, and torturing him, that's what saves someone, that's what breaks their sin and sets them free from selfishness.

Just think if a human were placed in Jesus' scenario with Jesus' power. Jesus said if I will it the very rocks would rise up and protect me, but he choose not to call upon help. That is the power God, he choose to die for us, to take the blame, and to show us how to live, obey him, and try our best to be selfless or at least not so selfish.

Now to explain the first verse. People who don't know God and wish only to follow their will and not obey God seem to not understand the second sentence. They seem to not really think about the cross and what it means or the implications of how it would affect human life if we were to all follow Jesus and the example he has set.

This is a bit of a tangent, but in the Lords prayer we say thy kingdom come thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven. Imagine if most people on Earth tried, just tried, to follow Jesus, his teachings, and example. Think about that, would it not be like heaven on Earth. Sadly people don't care or give time to think about things like this and go about their life doing whatever.

My overall point is this is what should be focused on if you want to "prove" God. We know God is real, but the only way for unsaved people to get to that point is to first at least open their heart to God through Jesus.

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0