✟8,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Separated
Greetings,

I am seeking some guidance on what to do about my relationship with the person I married earlier this year.

I married a guy that I met through my churches global dating site in January of this year. We made our first contact in December 2017, courted over the phone for 3 week before meeting in person at a New Years Eve party orchestrated by one of our sister churches in South Carolina. Our first meeting was great and we had a fun filled weekend. During our phone conversations, we discussed our views about marriage and relationships. At the time, my view was that when two people bring honesty and lay their lives out on the table, find that they share the same core values, and are willing to work with what the other person is bringing to the table, they can marry and work out the kinks later.
In January 2018, we got married after 49 days or knowing each other; very quickly I know. We just went to the clerks office in my city and applied for a marriage certificate, got it signed by my uncle who is a clergyman, and were married. No vows, no hands before God, etc. Just a signed marriage certificate. I agreed under the perceived comfort and safety of having met some of his spiritual mentors while in South Carolina, the culture of our body of churches around dating and marriage, and of course my mindset previously mentioned regarding honesty. Although there were things that made me nervous, he came off as seemingly very spiritual.
Things started off badly and I thought that is was because we married so quickly. I was hopeful that with time, we would be able to work out our differences and that the marriage would improve. Many things happened that made me question his motives very early. Any time we had financial discussions, he would give flaky answers. He was honest about money. He presented that he had been a Marine and that he worked for the government so I had the impression that when moved to my city he had certain connections and job experience that would make it easy for him to get a job. There are too many things to name that made me question who he was after we got married and began living together.
To make a long story short, we had begun counseling with an elder at our church to try and work on the marriage. Some things I shared with the elder and some things I didn't. Mainly because I feared ridicule and embarrassment that things were going so horribly after we married as strangers. I got a few phone calls from what seemed to be bill collectors but they were asking for a person that had my husbands first name but a different last name. It puzzled me and when I asked him about he implied that it was scammers and that I should block the numbers. I ignored the messages but got the same call two or three more times. In light of all of the other issues we were having, I decided to conduct a background check on him using the name he currently uses and the name that was left on the voicemails. It turned out that he was in fact the person that the bill collectors were asking about and that he had been lying about his identity the entire 5 1/2 months we had been married.
He had been lying about his name because it carried a criminal record, his age, the number of times he had been married, his education, being in the military, his credit and financial status, and soo much more. I was undoubtedly broken, afraid, terrified, angry, etc. Few words have sufficed to put into words all of things I felt upon finding this information. When I confronted him about it, he did not openly confess, it took a few days for him to come all the way clean, and many things that I have questioned he still has not openly and humbly answered. We separated back in July after I found out about the deceit. Since separating he has not returned to his hometown but he started counseling to get help because it turned out that he had not only lied to me, he lied to his previous wives, and to his spiritual mentors about the same things. This is why they did not alert me when I met them. He wants to stay married and believes that if he repents, that we can have a health marriage. I feel very differently, like had he been honest upfront I would have made a different decision. I feel robbed of my choice to decide if I want to be attached to what he comes with.
My question is this, Does God want me to honor this marriage? I have really been battling with the thought "How can God have a Holy Stamp on something that was so fraudulent?" Is this marriage adulterous because of his previous marriages? Can I divorce him and still be pleasing in God's sight? Because we entered into this so quickly, does God want me to stay and learn a lesson? I just really don't know what to do. Please help me to see what God would say about this situation.

• Prayers
Reactions: twobecomeone

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can I divorce him and still be pleasing in God's sight?
Was his change of name done legally thru the court system?
If he signed a false name, the marriage certificate is invalid.

I would ask your pastor/elders to do an annulment. He lied to them as well.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings,

I am seeking some guidance on what to do about my relationship with the person I married earlier this year.

I married a guy that I met through my churches global dating site in January of this year. We made our first contact in December 2017, courted over the phone for 3 week before meeting in person at a New Years Eve party orchestrated by one of our sister churches in South Carolina. Our first meeting was great and we had a fun filled weekend. During our phone conversations, we discussed our views about marriage and relationships. At the time, my view was that when two people bring honesty and lay their lives out on the table, find that they share the same core values, and are willing to work with what the other person is bringing to the table, they can marry and work out the kinks later.

In January 2018, we got married after 49 days or knowing each other; very quickly I know. We just went to the clerks office in my city and applied for a marriage certificate, got it signed by my uncle who is a clergyman, and were married. No vows, no hands before God, etc. Just a signed marriage certificate. I agreed under the perceived comfort and safety of having met some of his spiritual mentors while in South Carolina, the culture of our body of churches around dating and marriage, and of course my mindset previously mentioned regarding honesty. Although there were things that made me nervous, he came off as seemingly very spiritual.

Things started off badly and I thought that is was because we married so quickly. I was hopeful that with time, we would be able to work out our differences and that the marriage would improve. Many things happened that made me question his motives very early. Any time we had financial discussions, he would give flaky answers. He was honest about money. He presented that he had been a Marine and that he worked for the government so I had the impression that when moved to my city he had certain connections and job experience that would make it easy for him to get a job. There are too many things to name that made me question who he was after we got married and began living together.

To make a long story short, we had begun counseling with an elder at our church to try and work on the marriage. Some things I shared with the elder and some things I didn't. Mainly because I feared ridicule and embarrassment that things were going so horribly after we married as strangers. I got a few phone calls from what seemed to be bill collectors but they were asking for a person that had my husbands first name but a different last name. It puzzled me and when I asked him about he implied that it was scammers and that I should block the numbers. I ignored the messages but got the same call two or three more times. In light of all of the other issues we were having, I decided to conduct a background check on him using the name he currently uses and the name that was left on the voicemails. It turned out that he was in fact the person that the bill collectors were asking about and that he had been lying about his identity the entire 5 1/2 months we had been married.

He had been lying about his name because it carried a criminal record, his age, the number of times he had been married, his education, being in the military, his credit and financial status, and soo much more. I was undoubtedly broken, afraid, terrified, angry, etc. Few words have sufficed to put into words all of things I felt upon finding this information. When I confronted him about it, he did not openly confess, it took a few days for him to come all the way clean, and many things that I have questioned he still has not openly and humbly answered. We separated back in July after I found out about the deceit. Since separating he has not returned to his hometown but he started counseling to get help because it turned out that he had not only lied to me, he lied to his previous wives, and to his spiritual mentors about the same things. This is why they did not alert me when I met them. He wants to stay married and believes that if he repents, that we can have a health marriage. I feel very differently, like had he been honest upfront I would have made a different decision. I feel robbed of my choice to decide if I want to be attached to what he comes with.

My question is this, Does God want me to honor this marriage? I have really been battling with the thought "How can God have a Holy Stamp on something that was so fraudulent?" Is this marriage adulterous because of his previous marriages? Can I divorce him and still be pleasing in God's sight? Because we entered into this so quickly, does God want me to stay and learn a lesson? I just really don't know what to do. Please help me to see what God would say about this situation.

It was foolish to marry so quickly ... and a shame that the church was involved.

However, I would tend to believe that your marriage is invalid, as your "husband" defrauded you as to his true identity.

The Catholic church would not hesitate to annul such a marital situation. I do not believe that God would hold you responsible for staying married to someone who had so deceived you.

Also, per the scriptures, he is an adulterer ... and Jesus implies that sexual immorality is grounds for marital dissolusion.

Matthew 5

31 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce. 32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Upvote 0

MLM146

Nov 7, 2018
Indiana
✟8,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Separated
Was his change of name done legally thru the court system?
If he signed a false name, the marriage certificate is invalid.

I would ask your pastor/elders to do an annulment. He lied to them as well.

As far as I know, his name change it legal. What I have been unable to figure out, is if the SSN he used on the application is indeed his real and current SSN. I found out that he has used several in his criminal dealings.

Upvote 0

MLM146

Nov 7, 2018
Indiana
✟8,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Separated
It was foolish to marry so quickly ... and a shame that the church was involved.

However, I would tend to believe that your marriage is invalid, as your "husband" defrauded you as to his true identity.

The Catholic church would not hesitate to annul such a marital situation. I do not believe that God would hold you responsible for staying married to someone who had so deceived you.

Also, per the scriptures, he is an adulterer ... and Jesus implies that sexual immorality is grounds for marital dissolusion.

Matthew 5

31 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce. 32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

I couldn't agree with you more that it was foolish to marry so quickly. God has shown me that marriage should not be viewed the way I viewed it and showed me my sin in the process. I tend to agree also that the marriage is invalid in God's eyes due to the willful deceit. I simply want to have peace about what to do from here nonetheless. I have taken this separation time to really search myself and get some counseling and spiritual guidance, but as it stands I can't see how the two of us should have ever gotten married in the first place, or how God can bless this mess of a situation.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Greetings,

Hi, I am so sorry for what you are experiencing and going through and will be praying for you on this matter that first and foremost you start praying and fasting and making sure this issue is second in your life to your own walk with the LORD. Remember his mercies and his promise that all things will work together for good for those who love the LORD and are called to His purposes. So as you frame your day with loving the LORD and seeking His purpose the outcome will bring some sort of good fruit in your life. I do not want to tell you what you should do. If you look around you will find pastors who will framework it that you need to stick it out and others who would agree that it is a sham and you are free to divorce. Perhaps you should separate and get some legal protection if he might be taking out new loans jointly and ruining your credit. From this place you can make it clear things are not ok as is and if he is repented that will show. Seems like he has no job and may be dependent on you and it might be difficult for you but if he is real he will climb the hill to win your affection and prove he is for real. If you have a place you might need to give notice and rent a room so that you move out and he can't stay if he can't pay. You can continue to go to counseling and perhaps small dates like coffee and walks. I went through a time when I was the one on the bottom of the hill and had to regain trust and affection from my wife. That was a long time ago and we are reconciled beautifully. God says in James if we ask for wisdom God will grant it if we ask in faith. later he contrasts the wisdom of the world and the wisdom of God, Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. 15 This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. 16 For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. 17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. 18 Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. if you watch and see you can tell if he is walking in the wisdom of bitter envy and self seeking or is he pure, peaceable, gentle, willing to yield........by this you may have peace in not being fooled into a worthless promise that is based on deception.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please help me to see what God would say about this situation.

Why do you ask what is God's will for your marriage when you didn't seek his will about getting married?

He lied repeatedly to you, you've lied to those trying to help and you clearly didn't ask anyone about marrying this guy as anyone with an ounce of sense would have said wait.

Divorce him and learn from the experience by following standard couring rituals.
Date for at least a year, that is go out once a week, attend church every week together, no sex, no dating other people .
If after a year you both think marriage is right, meet each others families and if nothing there doesn't sound alarm bells get engaged setting a date of at least a year away.
Continue attending church together and going out.
Attend a marriage preparation class, being totally honest with who ever takes that class. Total honesty should also be the norm between you both.

If you cannot attend church together why are you thinking of marriage with this guy.
If you are think of getting married in lest time than I've outlinned stop and remember how wrong it can go.

So get divorced.

Upvote 0

MLM146

Nov 7, 2018
Indiana
✟8,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Separated
Why do you ask what is God's will for your marriage when you didn't seek his will about getting married?

He lied repeatedly to you, you've lied to those trying to help and you clearly didn't ask anyone about marrying this guy as anyone with an ounce of sense would have said wait.

Divorce him and learn from the experience by following standard couring rituals.
Date for at least a year, that is go out once a week, attend church every week together, no sex, no dating other people .
If after a year you both think marriage is right, meet each others families and if nothing there doesn't sound alarm bells get engaged setting a date of at least a year away.
Continue attending church together and going out.
Attend a marriage preparation class, being totally honest with who ever takes that class. Total honesty should also be the norm between you both.

If you cannot attend church together why are you thinking of marriage with this guy.
If you are think of getting married in lest time than I've outlinned stop and remember how wrong it can go.

So get divorced.

Thank You for that accountability. God has been gracious enough to show me my sin in this. The outline you have for dating is reasonable and wise. I appreciate your response.

Upvote 0

MLM146

Nov 7, 2018
Indiana
✟8,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Separated
God says in James if we ask for wisdom God will grant it if we ask in faith. later he contrasts the wisdom of the world and the wisdom of God, Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. 15 This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. 16 For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. 17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. 18 Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. If you watch and see you can tell if he is walking in the wisdom of bitter envy and self seeking or is he pure, peaceable, gentle, willing to yield........by this you may have peace in not being fooled into a worthless promise that is based on deception.

Thank you

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find this question terribly insensitive and crass.

When we have made a mess of things, are we NOT supposed to call on God to help get us bailed out?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree the Bible is so cool in that it shows many making mistakes and messes out of their life and the LORD hears their prayers and brings them through to the other side. The consequences of mistakes are always real but when we reset our direction towards Gods will He accepts it.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would divorce him so fast his head would spin. You don't owe him anything. You were honest and expected the same from him, he betrayed your trust, and now you can move on and put this behind you. I'm sorry you went through that.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would divorce him so fast his head would spin. You don't owe him anything. You were honest and expected the same from him, he betrayed your trust, and now you can move on and put this behind you. I'm sorry you went through that.
I agree. And I think it would be entirely appropriate to ask your church to help with your legal fees in doing so. After all, they were supposed to have properly vetted this guy.

• Haha
Reactions: MLM146
Upvote 0

MLM146

Nov 7, 2018
Indiana
✟8,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Separated

When we have made a mess of things, are we NOT supposed to call on God to help get us bailed out?
I appreciate your gracious spirit. I'm so glad that the scriptures remind me that God always desires and welcomes repentance. He is please when we recognized and acknowledge our folly and turn to him for guidance.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

MLM146

Nov 7, 2018
Indiana
✟8,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Separated
Thank you for your response.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I appreciate your gracious spirit. I'm so glad that the scriptures remind me that God always desires and welcomes repentance. He is please when we recognized and acknowledge our folly and turn to him for guidance.
Indeed. It is a common theme thru the entire scriptures from Genesis to Revelation.

• Agree
Reactions: MLM146
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God will forgive us our sins if, if, if we repent of them.
That means knowing we have done wrong.

Yes my responce was brutal, but there is no point in saying 'there, there, lets kiss it better' when the problem isn't being recognised.

Upvote 0

MLM146

Nov 7, 2018
Indiana
✟8,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Separated
God will forgive us our sins if, if, if we repent of them.
That means knowing we have done wrong.

Yes my responce was brutal, but there is no point in saying 'there, there, lets kiss it better' when the problem isn't being recognised.

Repentance is in the works and the acknowledgement of sin is there on both my part and his. If I had no desire to please God and be pleasing in his sight, I would have divorced him and not thought twice. However, because I recognized my lack of wisdom to seek advice and to wait, I don't want to jump out as quickly as I jumped in. I definitely lean toward divorce, but I'm not sure if God recognizes this marriage as valid or not due to it beginning on the basis of deliberate deceit. Therefore, I've been asking God for peace and a spirit of obedience towards whatever his answer is. Even if it means having to live with knowing that I am only married to him because he deliberately lied to me. He has even confessed that he lied because he didn't think I would marry him otherwise. That would be a hard pill to swallow, but if God says yes, pray that my heart will learn to have joy in being obedient in this matter.

Upvote 0

Katya123

Nov 1, 2018
BELLE VERNON
✟10,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings,

Greetings,

Upvote 0

Katya123

Nov 1, 2018
BELLE VERNON
✟10,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am so sorry you are going thru all this but I agree with you.....way to fast. I was always taught to give yourself four seasons to get to know someone even if you are on the same page spiritually. May I ask what your counselor and spiritual leaders are saying? I tend to agree with most of the posts that with that much deception, I dont believe that God would honor this as a bonafide marriage. It is good that you are separated. Take your time here. As someone suggested, fast and pray and really seek God. You dont have to divorce tomorrow. Ask yourself hard questions....what is it you want? If he repents, do you want to stay with him? Can you ever trust him again? Do you think there is a chance for a complete turnaround on his part? How long are you willing to wait? What do you think God is saying? He will be faithful to you and He will bring answers. Wait for them. Seek him with all your heart and He will be found. He has to be #1 in your life.

Upvote 0