To paci or not to paci- that is the question.

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So I've been thinking about this new little bundle of joy who will be entering our world in just a few short months and I can't help but wonder what I will do about the paci controversy.

I was registering for a few things for a very small shower in the country I grew up in. I basically registered for small things that would be easily carried in my suitcase, when my mother asked me why I didn't register for any pacifiers. I just shrugged and said "I donno..."

So it made me think about whether or not I will use them.

So I'm looking for personal experiences. Did you use them with your child? Was it planned or did it just happen? Is it better for the baby to have one? I honestly don't know.

I plan on breastfeeding and I was wondering if there would be a possibility for nipple confusion with pacis. If the baby is upset I would rather just nurse comfort her/him but who knows, that may get old really fast :p

My SIL nursed exclusively for 6 months and still used a paci with the babe when she was an infant. So it can't be that bad can it?

Any ideas? Help? SUggestions?

marezee

cheeriokeeper
Apr 5, 2007
✟34,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was willing to try a paci with all three of my boys, but they didn't want anything to do with it. I pacified them with breastfeeding and my pinky LOL!
as far as the nipple confusion theory, i suppose it depends on who you talk to. everyone has their own opinion.
I introduced a bottle nipple to my boys when they were 4 weeks old, and continued to breastfeed. they did well with both bottle and breast.
babies adapt quickly. So i think whatever you decide to do will be best for your baby. also consider the fact that if you do use a paci, and the baby loves it, you will have to wean him/her from it at some point.
:hug:

Upvote 0

TCat

Daily surrender
Mar 23, 2007
usa
✟10,087.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I bf both my kids. My first loved his paci, introduced at the hospital, used it til he was 2 and except for occasially having a "binky crisis" when it could not be located, it was terrific. Giving it up was easy, I told him just before his 2nd B-day that he could have it whenever he desire but he had to be on his bed. Of course it became only for naps and night time, then gradually he gave those up as well.

My 2nd child refused from the begining to take one, hated the things and would not take it no matter how often I gave her one. She was bf but loved her bottle and drank from it til she was nearly 2, even though she could use a cup.

Different kids like different things I guess. Baby will let you know what he/she needs.

Upvote 0

Linnis

Legend
Jun 27, 2005
✟30,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I breastfed Ethan and as a newborn he took a pacifier rarely in the car because he HATED his car seat. Then at 3 months we tried them again and he loved them. It helped when he wanted to comfort nurse because for some babies, like Ethan who had reflux, comfort nursing was not possible. He used ones until 15 months.

Introducing the pacifier can effect a babies latch but not always I think you just have to be aware it might cause a problem and be sure you are latching your baby on correctly every time and won't let him or her start any bad habits latch wise as a result of the pacifier.

I started limiting use of the pacifier around 9 months(taking it from him when he was holding it in his mouth but not actively sucking, then keeping it only for in the car, sleep and scary things...then only for scary things) and by 15 months he gave it up on his own without much fuss.

Upvote 0

ChristianMama84

Hey, y'all!
Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2007
Northwest Alabama
✟53,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Remy's never liked 'em, either, which I think is good. I never really wanted him to use one just because of the drama it causes if it's lost and when the time comes when he has to give it up. That being said, if any other children I have need one that's fine, but I prefer not to if at all possible.

Upvote 0

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I breastfed Ethan and as a newborn he took a pacifier rarely in the car because he HATED his car seat. Then at 3 months we tried them again and he loved them. It helped when he wanted to comfort nurse because for some babies, like Ethan who had reflux, comfort nursing was not possible. He used ones until 15 months.

Introducing the pacifier can effect a babies latch but not always I think you just have to be aware it might cause a problem and be sure you are latching your baby on correctly every time and won't let him or her start any bad habits latch wise as a result of the pacifier.

I started limiting use of the pacifier around 9 months(taking it from him when he was holding it in his mouth but not actively sucking, then keeping it only for in the car, sleep and scary things...then only for scary things) and by 15 months he gave it up on his own without much fuss.
So perhaps it would be a better idea not to introduce a paci until our BFing relationship is solid?

I've never BFed before (obviously) and I'm scared about latch issues. Can you teach me how to latch via a webcam conversation :p

If I had tons of money I'd fly gracepaints out as my birth coach, you out as my lactation consultant and cheerleader and Leanna out for organizing and money management. :clap:

Upvote 0

GolfingMom

Is gone...
Mar 13, 2006
✟20,321.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I registered for them and received a variety of styles which was good. The one the hospital used (per my request) was the one that each kiddo liked the best.
I was happy that I used them and had no issues taking the kiddo's off of them (both before 2 years old).
For those of us who chose not to BF or weren't able to, the pacifiers were great :)

Upvote 0

Linnis

Legend
Jun 27, 2005
✟30,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, as a first time breastfeeder I'd avoid borrowing trouble for the first month or so. Breastfeeding is hard enough to figure out without extra problems. Most breastfed babies have problems with pacifiers at first anyway because the suck is different and they suck like it's a boob which makes them spit them out. :)

Upvote 0
G

gracepaints

Reed would never take a pacifier. I tried all kinds. He wanted nothing to do with them. The ONLY time he would willingly suck on one was in his car seat and then only long enough to get himself calmed down and he'd spit it out again. Now, I only carry one to the pedi's for him to chomp on while getting a shot. I think it helps there.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. There tons of different kinds and you don't know which one you baby would like, if any. They're cheap you can buy your own. I'd avoid them all together for the first few weeks, until you are sure you have a good latch.

Upvote 0
A

angelsgirl

I couldn't live without a dummy (what we call them over here in Australia!!!).
Seriously... Maddie is such a sucker. She wants to suck on anything and everything... At first i wasn't giving her a dummy and she was unsettled... then we gave her one and she loves it. Will sit and suck on it for hours!!!
I haven't had any problem with nipple confusion. I also have had Maddie on a bottle since about 3 weeks old.
It is a personal choice. I had bought a couple of dummies to leave at home just in case we needed them. I'm glad I did that. Do what works for you!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My advice is to respond to your baby's needs and your personal needs. Some women can handle more non nutritive sucking (on the breast) than others. Some babies need more non nutritive sucking than others. My first son didn't take a pacifier. We encouraged my daughter to take one at one month old because it was to help her reflux, and it did. What is going to happen with Eli, I do not know.

Since no one else did I'll mention that pacifiers reduce the risk of SIDS. Google it! http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070312152207.htm :)

Reactions: GolfingMom
Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,776,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was open to letting my kids have one if they wanted/needed, and we had a few that were given as gifts. But neither kid wanted one at all. Tried. Didn't like it. It turned out OK though. One baby became a thumb-sucker, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

Upvote 0

sparassidae

In Christ Alone
Apr 3, 2007
Sydney, Australia
✟18,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We made a decision not to use one, since were were going AP and I was happy to allow comfort sucking. Turns out my firstborn was very happy with comfort sucking too- spent most of his first 9 months sucking :)

Took the same approach with #2. who only needed me, then #3 decided to suck her thumb occasionally when going to sleep, but stopped on her own when she got her first tooth :D. #4 only needed me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I couldn't live without a dummy (what we call them over here in Australia!!!).
Seriously... Maddie is such a sucker. She wants to suck on anything and everything... At first i wasn't giving her a dummy and she was unsettled... then we gave her one and she loves it. Will sit and suck on it for hours!!!
I haven't had any problem with nipple confusion. I also have had Maddie on a bottle since about 3 weeks old.
It is a personal choice. I had bought a couple of dummies to leave at home just in case we needed them. I'm glad I did that. Do what works for you!!!

LOL, dd's were taken to hospital, because I knew from the start I was going to use one. I had 1 midwife telling me off about it, but really, dd was my 2nd baby and the day she told me off was a really quiet day. The next day there were heaps of babies born and they were flat out and left me alone ROFL.

It should also be said that I breastfed both of my babies until they self weaned. Ds at 16 months, dd at 18 months.

Upvote 0

Hadassah

May 22, 2006
Germany
✟15,060.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
we have a few pacifiers. Three that are the same nipple style and two that are round...
He prefers the three that are 'like mommy' shaped...

He had them introduced at the hospital around day 3 I think. It hasn't caused any confusion, and we had to introduce a bottle by day 4 as I wasn't producing enough milk at that time.

He wants his pacifier (Schnulli) when he goes to sleep or is "busy" but not wanting to nurse. when he doesn't want it, he will throw it or spit it out. He's been loads happier since he had the pacifier. Plus, at the hospital and with the midwife that has visited us, they have highly reccommended it and back sleeping for reducing the risk of SIDS..

Reactions: MyaShane
Upvote 0

MyaShane

CUBs fan til I die!
Feb 21, 2007
Illinois - home of the CUBs!
✟18,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is really a tough one because the benefits of using a pacifier are really good, but the negatives are bad (especially breaking them of it!). We still opted to try with both our girls. Our 1st didn’t take one until a little later (after I was done bf) and she loved it. Our 2nd took to it right away and if possible, loved hers more. I really loved the instant gratification it gave my girls especially when you’re in public, or they’re really upset and nothing else seems to work or helping them to calm down to get to sleep. But for some reason when they lose it in the middle of the night (and it’s always the middle of the night) it always ends up under the crib. Why is that?? Still it was worth it IMO. I’m not sure there’s any right or wrong here, go with what works for you. :)

Upvote 0

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I breastfed 6 babies who went back & forth from the breast to a pacifier with no problems. The next baby (DS, now 8) wouldn't have anything to do with a pacifier, so they just laid around the house. The Next baby (DD, now 6), however, got nipple confusion from the pacifier at day 3. It was 3 weeks of torment trying to get her latch corrected to nurse without hurting me.

My current baby (DS, almost 7 wks) has had a pacifier on occasion, but it wasn't until he was over 5 wks that I even Let him try. He's pretty mellow about what goes in his mouth (breast, bottle nipple, finger feeding straw, pacifier, his own fingers, back to breast). I guess that's a good thing since I want to continue to try to get him on the breast fulltime...

Anyway, I said all that to say this: You never know if your baby is going to have problems with nipple confusion or not. So go ahead and get pacifiers if you want (or someone wants to buy them for you), but Don't introduce them until your milk supply is Fully established~ at least 4 weeks old. That way you'll avoid any potential problems. It's ok to be used as your baby's pacifier if you're breastfeeding anyway~ it helps keep your milk supply up. :)

Upvote 0

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks ladies. Lots to think about. Assuming our bfing relationship is going strong, I'll hold off until 4 weeks. I planned on staying in bed for the first few weeks doing nothing but bonding and really making our bfing relationship solid. Ahhh one of the many benefits of an out of town mother coming to stay! :D

Upvote 0