godenver1

Christian
Jul 12, 2015
✟29,119.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I don't post often, but I browse frequently. MikeK is one of my favourite posters. He has consistently posted honest and thoughtful and centrist responses to many threads. I wanted to thank him for rising above the all too common political tribalism. He's about the only poster I've seen do that on these forums.

I could've sent him a PM, but I wanted to praise him publicly, because I think he deserves it. :)

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I haven't read too many posts of his but he seems to be a nice guy! I like that he doesn't overreact to stuff bc OTT reactions are just tiresome. His responses that I've read are calm & reasonable. That's refreshing.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. I try to embrace honesty and vulnerability, and while I know that hyperpartisan people on the left and right are sometimes threatened by these things, I think these attributes are important. You mention "political tribalism", I really like the way you phrased that.

I don't post often, but I browse frequently. MikeK is one of my favourite posters. He has consistently posted honest and thoughtful and centrist responses to many threads. I wanted to thank him for rising above the all too common political tribalism. He's about the only poster I've seen do that on these forums.

I could've sent him a PM, but I wanted to praise him publicly, because I think he deserves it. :)

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

welcome to OBOB
I think I remember seeing you around before, did you reactivate your account or something? ... I thought you had more posts then just 23... or maybe my memory is failing me lol

I am so glad that you have been encouraged by MikeK and the wisdom he has shown in his posts :)

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

He's okay but he can be kind of poop head, too. But for the most part I believe he's a good person.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,429.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If you suspect that a post has been made by a 'sock' please hit the 'report button' and inform staff that you think the poster is a sock. If you can please also tell them who you think has posted as the sock.

You could also make a thread in MSC about it - you will not be identified to the poster and your post in MSC will only be seen by the Member of Staff dealing with it.

I would also remind you that discussing actions by Staff is not permitted.

Now could we please get back to normal posting ?

Anhelyna - Ambassador member

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT

While the thread is being cleaned, let me be clear users with socks are banned. Do not accuse people of being socks. Go to the MSC. I normally would not comment on things but this account was checked and is not a sock. In the future take accusations of sock accounts to the MSC or reports. Do not seek mob justice and mockery.

MOD HAT

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT

If you had a post removed it was either making a sock accusation or part of that conversation. As said...take that kind of thing to the MSC. Opening this again. Do not make any more accusations.

MOD HAT

Reactions: godenver1
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It shouldn't shock me to see people jump to uncharitable conclusions and rash judgement so quickly here, but sometimes it still does.

Thanks to the OP for the kind words, I really appreciate them and I'm glad some of my thoughts resonate with you. Thanks to staff for looking into the possibility of the OP being my sock and bringing the truth to light. This thread has illustrated just how quick some people can be to jump to errant conclusions that conform their biases. There are personality types that quickly resort to imagining conspiracy rather than giving the face value appropriate consideration. That's something I've been thinking about a lot lately, and an attitude in the world that seems to be getting worse. I think I'll start a thread on that topic one of these days, once I put my thoughts together a little better.

I wonder if people's willingness to believe strange conspiracies without any evidence is a sign of the time of the antichrist...

Last edited:
Reactions: godenver1
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I brought up socks not as an accusation but a reminder that they are against the rules and not nearly as prevalent as they once were.

Oh I know. You were not one of those resorting to dishonest suggestions and mudslinging, you're usually above that sort of thing and you were here as well.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not all of the posts removed were accusations of anyone being a sock. In particular, I stand by my earlier post that complimenting someone else by saying how they don't engage in the behavior of the rest of the posters is not a very polite or humble thing to say, and I have no idea why that post was removed.

I disagree with your sentiment, but moreover I suspect that your statement has a lot more to do with who was complimented than how polite or charitable the OP was.

• Agree
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I discovered this thread from clicking on @godenver1 's name because I was happy to spot it on the list of members I follow who are currently online. Long time, no see! I remember him as a friendly, thoughtful, and insightful contributor to the teen section, and welcome him back. :cheer:

There's a quote by Maya Angelou that resonates with me. "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Though my interaction with @MikeK has been minimal, I haven't forgotten how he made me feel better after I shared photos of myself and another member wrote hurtful commentary on my weight (I'm underweight due to health issues). :)

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I discovered this thread from clicking on @godenver1 's name because I was happy to spot it on the list of members I follow who are currently online. Long time, no see! I remember him as a friendly, thoughtful, and insightful contributor to the teen section, and welcome him back. :cheer:

There's a quote by Maya Angelou that resonates with me. "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Though my interaction with @MikeK has been minimal, I haven't forgotten how he made me feel better after I shared photos of myself and another member wrote hurtful commentary on my weight (I'm underweight due to health issues). :)

I remember you, it's so nice to see you again!!!! :hugs:
How have you been?

There are a lot of people, Christians even, who have few nice things to say about others. I needed this today, thanks for your kind words:)

Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Must have missed this thread first time around.

I like Mike. He's a smart dude. He doesn't calling out people from either side of the isle and that's a particularly rare talent here.

Also, I know him a little outside of OBOB and he's hot in that dad-with-widow's-peak kind of way.

Upvote 0