Indiana
✟11,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have had a garden for many years and can say that it is worth the effort. The fresh produce that I store up tastes so much better than store bought produce. The reason for this is because much of produce found at the supermarket is picked before the fruit is ripe. It is then stored in coolers for weeks sometimes until the stores can sell it. I shouldn’t have to mention all the pesticides used on commercially grown crops also. Some of these chemicals are systemic which means the chemical enters the plants “bloodstream” ,so to say, and is circulated throughout the plants system including the fruit or vegetable
In the prepping and gardening communities there is an ongoing controversy regarding the economic practicality of gardening and canning vegetables. New gardeners often talk about growing a 20 dollar tomato. And they are correct. At first. Initial expenses for a good _productive_ backyard garden can be high. I think we spent several hundred dollars in the first year in the creation and improvement of our 1200 square foot garden. Most of the expense has been for soil and soil additions. Virgin ground is very poor for heavy vegetable production. You really have to pump the composted manure, potting soil, peat moss, and organic material to the soil if you want to get something more than a few small poor fruits.
So at this time, when food is (relatively) cheap and plentiful, gardening may not be practical. Some refer to it as more of a hobby or a past time And the work of processing and long term storage can be burdensome.
Yet we have an eye to the future. If, for whatever reason, the food supply became endangered, or the supply routes were broken, a garden that is now break even at best, would suddenly become very valuable. Suddenly that 20 dollar tomato would be cheap.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Galil7.62x51

Sep 16, 2019
Indiana
✟11,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am an ex farmer that has had a garden for many years and can say that it is worth the effort. The fresh produce that I store up tastes so much better than store bought produce. The reason for this is because much of produce found at the supermarket is picked before the fruit is ripe. It is then stored in coolers for weeks sometimes until the stores can sell it. I shouldn’t have to mention all the pesticides used on commercially grown crops also. Some of these chemicals are systemic which means the chemical enters the plants “bloodstream” ,so to say, and is circulated throughout the plants system including the fruit or vegetable. Other store bought produce is grown hydroponically, where the plant is grown in water instead of soil. These plants are fed by water soluble fertilizers through the root system. That’s why some tomato’s you get at the store have very little flavor compared to one you grew yourself and let it ripped naturally on the vine. As far as expense, it depends on how frugal a person is. I have purchased many of my canning supplies at garage sales and online ads at a fraction of the cost of new. Use grass clippings, leaves, and wood chips from your local tree surgeons dump site as free composting materials. Plant heirloom seeds, NOT HYBRIDS, which can be harvested from your ripe produce and planted again the next year. If you go the “Ruth Stout” method of gardening you don't need a tiller or any fancy equipment. So it doesn't have to cost a fortune to get into gardening. The best advice I can give you would be to try to grow
In the prepping and gardening communities there is an ongoing controversy regarding the economic practicality of gardening and canning vegetables. New gardeners often talk about growing a 20 dollar tomato. And they are correct. At first. Initial expenses for a good _productive_ backyard garden can be high. I think we spent several hundred dollars in the first year in the creation and improvement of our 1200 square foot garden. Most of the expense has been for soil and soil additions. Virgin ground is very poor for heavy vegetable production. You really have to pump the composted manure, potting soil, peat moss, and organic material to the soil if you want to get something more than a few small poor fruits.
So at this time, when food is (relatively) cheap and plentiful, gardening may not be practical. Some refer to it as more of a hobby or a past time And the work of processing and long term storage can be burdensome.
Yet we have an eye to the future. If, for whatever reason, the food supply became endangered, or the supply routes were broken, a garden that is now break even at best, would suddenly become very valuable. Suddenly that 20 dollar tomato would be cheap.

Upvote 0

Galil7.62x51

Sep 16, 2019
Indiana
✟11,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I keep hitting a wrong button somewhere and it posts when I don't want it to. As I was saying, just try to grow something to get the feel of what it is like. Even if you just start with a 5 gallon bucket planter with one tomato plant or pepper plant it would be a start. There is a learning curve and each region of the country will present different problems. By experimenting you will discover these problems and adapt solutions to correct them. The first time you bite into that vine ripe tomato that you planted and cared for you will understand why you need to have a garden.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have had a garden for many years and can say that it is worth the effort. The fresh produce that I store up tastes so much better than store bought produce. The reason for this is because much of produce found at the supermarket is picked before the fruit is ripe. It is then stored in coolers for weeks sometimes until the stores can sell it. I shouldn’t have to mention all the pesticides used on commercially grown crops also. Some of these chemicals are systemic which means the chemical enters the plants “bloodstream” ,so to say, and is circulated throughout the plants system including the fruit or vegetable
This is very true. We lived in Beaufort SC for a couple decades. They grow tomatoes out on the islands and even have a tomato processing plant out t here. We have seen them harvest the fields of tomatoes. They make huge piles of GREEN tomatoes in the field which are then loaded into trucks and shipped out. Sure they will ripen.. but they are still plastic and tasteless.
Let me give you one of my vine ripened tomatoes and you will know the difference.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

JATYSA

Nov 24, 2019
FRANCE
✟15,222.00
Country
France
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Gently till into the soil. Another option is to sow cover crops, such as winter rye, to improve your soil. . auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver .. If some parts of the garden have hopelessly gone to weeds, cover them with black plastic or a layer of cardboard and leave it in place through the winter season.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Back in North Dakota we learned to use straw--not hay, it will have weeds, straw doesn't. We covered everything with straw, leaving little openings for the seedlings. It kept out weeds, and over time also went into the soil to improve it. It kept the water from evaporating so quickly also. It would just slowly rot and then we'd plow it under for the next planting.

Upvote 0