to be married or stay single?

mindfulness

Fear the Reaper - He's comin' for You.
Feb 5, 2012
Hell, seventh level
✟1,114.00
Faith
Calvinist
I think sometimes we blame God, or prance around stating "It must be God's will that I'm single because I can't find anyone to be with!" when it has nothing to do with God. God is in heaven and has the universe to run. I doubt if He's going to get mad at anybody who gets married or starts dating. It's a convenient excuse, sometimes, to pass the blame onto God when He has said nothing about "So-and-so will or will nor marry" in His Word.

Upvote 0

Karliah

Feb 27, 2012
✟15,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think, like someone said earlier, if we find someone who we love and who will make a good spouse, it is God's intention for us to marry, and "Be fruitful and multiply." There are so many verses in the Bible about marriage and its glory/purposes, but is there as much scripture about being single/independent? (I don't know - I am asking!)

Having said that though, if we do not find the right person I don't think it would seem right to just marry someone for the sake of marriage. In that case it would be better to remain single.

Upvote 0

bocannes

Feb 12, 2012
✟7,904.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think, like someone said earlier, if we find someone who we love and who will make a good spouse, it is God's intention for us to marry, and "Be fruitful and multiply." There are so many verses in the Bible about marriage and its glory/purposes, but is there as much scripture about being single/independent? (I don't know - I am asking!)

Having said that though, if we do not find the right person I don't think it would seem right to just marry someone for the sake of marriage. In that case it would be better to remain single.

There are some well-known people and role models from the Bible who were single. I think most of the scripture about being single is in contrast to a bad marriage, though.

I agree. We shouldn't marry just anyone. I'd also be wary of falling into the search for "the one" (someone who is "perfect"). Like with many things, the truth is probably somewhere in between. I think God wants us to make choices.

Reactions: Karliah
Upvote 0