Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
live your life. If you meet someone who, Biblically speaking, would be a good spouse (does his/her character/beliefs fall in line with what the Bible demands of believers?) and you both want to marry, then you should marry.

If you never meet that person, then you shouldn't.

Reactions: Keri
Upvote 0

mindfulness

Fear the Reaper - He's comin' for You.
Feb 5, 2012
Hell, seventh level
✟1,114.00
Faith
Calvinist
Well said! Enough of this single nonsense for me :D

Amen!

I used to wonder about this "gift of singleness" trope that gets spewed from certain pulpits now-a-days, but upon further investigation, I'd say the chances of God forcefully demanding it of someone that He gave an earnest desire to get married, is pretty slim. God's not like that, despite what some people may claim.

Upvote 0

Skyguy9999

Mar 9, 2012
✟7,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
does god want us to find someone to marry??? or would he rather we stay single?????

The answer I've come to, personally, is to just let things be as they may, and if God wants to bless me with a wife, then so be it. What I have said is that if it takes me away from walking with Jesus then I don't want it. Nor to do it outside of the normal course of wisdom, because especially with this he doesn't want us to cast wisdom aside.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Paul was never married and he advocated that for those who could accept it

When you're single you're able to think more independently

There are many temptations out there, so unless someone blows you away... I suggest staying single

actually... there's a good reason to believe that Paul *was* married. At some point at least. He was a pharisee, and marriage was a requirement. I suspect he was widowed when he wrote about being single.

not to deflate your argument. I think singleness can be something used by God for the very reasons Paul stated and argued. But its by no means a command. I think its something that needs to be worked out between the individual and God.

(interesting reading: The termination of Paul's marriage? (Was: 1 Corinthians 7:27-28))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JC4Life12

Mar 10, 2012
✟15,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
actually... there's a good reason to believe that Paul *was* married. At some point at least. He was a pharisee, and marriage was a requirement. I suspect he was widowed when he wrote about being single.

not to deflate your argument. I think singleness can be something used by God for the very reasons Paul stated and argued. But its by no means a command. I think its something that needs to be worked out between the individual and God.

Impressive.

I never saw it that way. You're saying Paul and the law of his people required marriage.

I get that and I respect your take

Upvote 0

mindfulness

Feb 5, 2012
Hell, seventh level
✟1,114.00
Faith
Calvinist
The Jews saw a man who never married and got children as slaying his posterity and violating one of the 613 mitvot (be fruitful and multiply was a command, not advice), so naturally Paul had to have been married unless you think he was lying about who he said he was.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bocannes

Feb 12, 2012
✟7,904.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Basically what Paul said, if you can stay single it's best to. Most divorces are probably the product of people who should have stayed single.

That's ridiculous. Most divorces are the result of our selfish natures, our society's quick-fix, self-centered way of life, and the horrible "no fault" approach to divorce.

Most people don't treat marriage as a life-long commitment and that is the biggest problem.

Upvote 0

mindfulness

Feb 5, 2012
Hell, seventh level
✟1,114.00
Faith
Calvinist
That's ridiculous. Most divorces are the result of our selfish natures, our society's quick-fix, self-centered way of life, and the horrible "no fault" approach to divorce.

Most people don't treat marriage as a life-long commitment and that is the biggest problem.

This is correct! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

That's pretty much my point. The people who are that way are better off staying single. They're not fit to be married. I know myself that I'm not fit for marriage. I would be terrible at it.

Upvote 0