To all the Science bashers on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi_Cygni

Nov 10, 2003
From parts unknown
✟1,221.00
Faith
Anglican
Since you seem to knock science and make statements like some science is legit but anything evolution or cosmological is not legit would you please tell me your expertise or credentials that allow you to discern good science from bad science.

This is a question that usually gets little to no response since it seems most Creationists don't have much in the way of a science background.

After all how does someone who doesn't work in the area or especially has never studied the subjects really know what the heck they are talking about?

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
[YEC]How dare you imply we have little to no expertise. Why, I learn from the best of the bunch. All those hours googling articles from the likes of Kent Hovind, AiG, ICR, Phillip Johnson, Jonathan Wells (of the Moonies, no less), and the rest of the Discovery Institute. I am very well informed, thank you very much, you arrogant evolutionist, you. Almost forgot to mention, I also have my most holy, infallible Bible, which of course, I interpret literally (and infallibly too, despite the fact that I'm only a fallible human. [Pride? No, I don't know what that is]), which means of course, I can't be wrong.[/YEC]

:p

Upvote 0

lovegod_will

May 20, 2004
Gloucester
✟210.00
Faith
Christian
People often think science is infallible or holds the greatest 'weight'- but science is fallible and just an interpretation of evidence. We believe something is correct and right because we are told it is so, science relies upon more science, if a theory appears to hold some water often all of a sudden it turns into cold hard fact.
(I know that you will probally point at me and say i only accept the Bible because im told to and that the Bible is only an interpretation but for me it comes from God, and God has greater authority than anything purely man-made.)

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
The O.P. asks an interesting question.
Is education represented by degrees? not necessarily but a degree does represent some minimal knowledge of the field. Can you achieve the same level of competence on your own? probably but i suspect there will be bigs gaps in your knowledge bases as a result.

Is ignorance corrected by education? possibly but stupidity is certainly not.
there are lots of stupid educated people, but there are lots of stupid uneducated people as well, stupidity seems to be a human trait rather than anything associated with formal education.

But as to the level of discussion in the creation-evolution-design debate and the level of formal education involved. I have a BA in biochem, significant undergrad work in both philosophy and electrical engineering and graduate level training in theology, does this make me a 'better' participant in the CED debate?
possibly, if i am careful not to allow my natural human stupidity to override my formal studies.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Theory means it has backing and evidence to support it. Thus, the very fact evolution is a theory means it has been proven to hold in a number of experiments and studies.

And it has gone through more than enough to make it very close to scientific law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Enigma'07 said:
then why were people like Newon, Einstien, Pastuer creationists?
Why did Newton think he could turn lead into gold?

Why did Newton think that Jason and the Argonauts was a real historical account?

Why does Newtons view of the age of the earth have any relevance to science today? His view has been falsified, the same as his view on turning lead into gold and his view on Jason and the Argonauts.

Upvote 0

mhess13

Feb 5, 2004
✟16,200.00
Marital Status
Married
Chi_Cygni said:
Since you seem to knock science and make statements like some science is legit but anything evolution or cosmological is not legit would you please tell me your expertise or credentials that allow you to discern good science from bad science.

This is a question that usually gets little to no response since it seems most Creationists don't have much in the way of a science background.

After all how does someone who doesn't work in the area or especially has never studied the subjects really know what the heck they are talking about?

All of your degrees and certificates and the praises of men won't help you one bit when you bow the knee to Jesus. When you give an account for your works here an earth at the Judgment Seat will he commend you for your piece of paper? How will you explain to the lover of your soul that you devoted your life to scoffing at the Bible?

Anyway, to answer your question I do not have a degree from an accredited university. To make matters worse I am a blue-collar worker.
Now go on and laugh, mock and ridicule me for my lack of credentials-I don't care I've heard it before.
Evolutionists seem to get off on thinking they are soooooo much smarter than the rest of us commonfolk.
I can tell you this--I'M SMART ENOUGH TO BELIEVE GOD. I'M SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT MY GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, GRANDFATHER WASN'T A MONKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF GOD SAID IT, I BELIEVE IT. THAT SETTLES IT

Reactions: Freedom777
Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
mhess13 said:
All of your degrees and certificates and the praises of men won't help you one bit when you bow the knee to Jesus.
What does that have to do with evolution?

When you give an account for your works here an earth at the Judgment Seat will he commend you for your piece of paper?
Again, what does this have to do with evolution?

How will you explain to the lover of your soul that you devoted your life to scoffing at the Bible?
Dudette, no one here is "scoffing" the Bible. Just because we aren't 100% literalists like you doesn't mean we "pick and choose;" we take the Bible quite seriously; just as the Early Church did. And since they weren't 100% literalists, let me ask you this: when did Christianity begin?

It is my fear that many of the "intellectuals" in this forum and throughout the church with have an appointment at the Great White Throne Judgment. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see how saved people can mock God's word.
1. Appealing to Force
2. Sorry to tell you this, but the Nicene Creed says all will be Judged: you, me, and everyone else.

Anyway, to answer your question I do not have a degree from an accredited university. To make matters worse I am a blue-collar worker.
Now go on and laugh, mock and ridicule me for my lack of credentials-I don't care I've heard it before.
No one is picking on you because you are innocently ignorant about evolution, but we are a bit surprised that you refuse to learn what evolution is and instead falsely judge it upon your limited comprehension and understanding of it. That is the problem.

Evolutionists seem to get off on thinking they are soooooo much smarter than the rest of us commonfolk.
See my above paragraph.

I can tell you this--I'M SMART ENOUGH TO BELIEVE GOD. I'M SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT MY GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, GRANDFATHER WASN'T A MONKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. I don't see how "intelligence -> worshipping God (implied as Trinity, or so I hope) has to do with anything.
2. Your last statement is why it seems people are picking at you. You don't know what evolution states and your words prove it. Evolution doesn't state humanity evolved from the apes; it says that modern apes and humanity share a common ancestor.

Common Ancestor --------> humanity
|
|
|
--------------------------> apes

Circular Reasoning doesn't prove anything. In addition, I'd think God wants folks who study, accept, and continue to study instead of those who accept blindly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chi_Cygni

Nov 10, 2003
From parts unknown
✟1,221.00
Faith
Anglican
mhess13 said:
All of your degrees and certificates and the praises of men won't help you one bit when you bow the knee to Jesus. When you give an account for your works here an earth at the Judgment Seat will he commend you for your piece of paper? How will you explain to the lover of your soul that you devoted your life to scoffing at the Bible?

No that is the problem. You really can't tell me anything about something you don't understand but others do.

By the way - we are smarter.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
A lot of these kind of threads (creation vs evolution bashing) reminds me of this picture:
attachment.php

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Enigma'07 said:
Geology isn't the only science. Others were around that suggested to them that earth was created.
The realization that the Creation accounts were not literal first came through geology. Geology showed people that the Earth is older than the 6000 years they had assumed. It also showed no evidence of a global flood.

Upvote 0

L'Anatra

Contributor
Dec 29, 2002
Pensacola, FL
Visit site
✟969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
mhess13 said:

That doesn't exactly settle it. As Chi said... it is dishonest and insulting to tell someone (actually thousands of scientists that have studied countless facets of nature that you or I don't even know exist) they're wrong when you have no idea what in the world you're talking about. This is a direct result of your lack of credentials. A lack of credentials doesn't mean that you can not understand, but that you do not.

Heck, I haven't even started college yet. That doesn't mean I refuse to study or ignore the facts like you do.

But you're right, your great, great, great, grandfather was not a monkey... he was a human. It took quite a few more generations than that for modern H. sapiens to appear.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.