Tithing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Droobie
Perhaps the 'tithing' as described in the OT is not so much law today, as a 'good example' of what we should be giving. Some may argue that the OT tithing laws no longer apply to us, but they do serve as a good indication of where we can start.

I agree that there are wonderful examples to follow in generosity and devotion. There is something to be said for sacrificial giving like what the widow with two mites gave and there is something to be said for consistent giving that supports ministries.
I do believe there is a principle taught in the tithe that full time Christian workers like the Levites who had devoted themselves to full time service of G-d were to be supported by those who work in non-ministry Jobs.I also believe that applies to any full time Christian worker who has been commissioned by the church.Not just pastors.They should be supported by the consistent giving of Christians who have the time to pursue careers other than ministry.
For Christians to provide houses , retirement, etc for themselves while leaving the full time Christian workers without violates this principle.
If we follow the principles of the Provision for the Levites. Then full time Christian workers will not come up short for their personal provision. They should have as generous a portion provided as the christians who have secular careers.
I also believe the principle of providing for those who cannot provide for themselves (whether widows, orphans, strangers or whatever the modern equivalent is) I pray for the day when this principle will be followed as well. so that the poor among us will be as high a priority as the full time Christian workers.
The principle I see is that the tithe was to provide for those who cannot provide for themselves. Whether because they are full time in Christian work or some other reason.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Droobie
Are you talking of people who have given up their secular jobs to go into full time ministry?

Yes. I am.But I would also include the church receptionist and anyone else who cannot work a regular job because they are giving their full time efforts to the work of the ministry.
I disagree with the practice of favortism shown on the basis of a heirarchy of importance. Anyone who is in a legitimate full time ministry work should be provided for generously. I have seen many churches that practice one salery for the senior pastor , a slightly smaller salery for the assistent pastor, an even smaller for the youth pastor, etc.
I believe if they are in the full time work which G-d called them too, they should all receive the same provision.

Upvote 0
Droobie said >Perhaps the 'tithing' as described in the OT is not so much law today, as a 'good example' of what we should be giving. Some may argue that the OT tithing laws no longer apply to us, but they do serve as a good indication of where we can start.

No - No - NO !

The heart is the "only" place to start ! :)

Love IN Christ - Hervey

Upvote 0

Kiwi

Feb 21, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am struggling with tithing at the moment because sometimes it's the choice of tithe or have food. This is because both me and my husband are students so we are a very minimal income, in fact only a student benifit from the government. The only reason I still tithe is because my husband insists. I am trying to get my attitude right because I know you should give to God with a cheerful heart. In my last church the pastor drew a full time salary, plus there was an admin assistant and a secretary who were paid. I found it really hard to give my tithe in that church. In our new church there is no paid staff, the pastor has a full time job and he spreads out his responsibilities out over quite a few leaders. The tithes go towards paying the rent on the place where we met (a big warehouse) and to helping out poor people or needy people in the congregation. Since going to this church I am starting to find it a lot easier to pay my tithe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.