Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The New Testament requires a tenth of all of a person's income just like it is mentioned in the Old Testament. The new church I have been going to on Sunday, requires me to give a tenth of my income. But I am in disagreement with this. If this church does require me to give a tithe, then there is no choice than me to leave that church. Please comment. Thanks and God bless you.

CFDavid

Customer User Title Not Required
Sep 11, 2010
✟15,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I definitely think a 10% minimum tithe is where believers should be, but I can't imagine not allowing someone to attend if they aren't managing that. I mean, do they check people's pay stubs as well?

You sure there's not a misunderstanding? I've heard of churches requiring it for MEMBERSHIP, but not attendance.

But if you have the means and you believe that's what scripture says, why would you not follow?

Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Tithing is a commandment in the Old Testament Law and those that were under the Law had to obey it to be righteous before God. However, since the Christian is righteous through Christ your still in good standing before God if you choose not to tithe.

The New Testament says that each should give as he has purposed in his heart. So if you want to give, then give and if you don't want to give then don't. Just don't let a Church pressure you into giving by saying God will curse you if you don't tithe because that's not true.

Remember, God loves a cheerful giver. You're not giving cheerfully if you're being forced into it.

Alan

Upvote 0

cloudstrife007

Jun 13, 2006
✟8,007.00
Faith
Christian
Find out the motives behind it.

Yes, we should give from our hearts. But people also abuse this "giving from our hearts" idea for their selfishness. They essentially give what is comfortable, and what is comfortable is pretty much what won't affect their lifestyle and budget.

If it's not an actual sacrifice you're making in terms of money collection for church, then are you really giving from your heart? Jesus gave his life for us, that was his sacrifice from the heart, to the church. How much are we sacrificing from our hearts for the work of the gospel?
We give what we can in furthering the gospel, whether it be to our local church, or to missionaries half way around the world.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Tithing is good to do, and I can't really justify giving less than 10% of my income, being as I'm in a prosperous country. Christians in poor countries simply put us to shame in terms of generosity.

While the New Testament does not require any hard number, 10% is a very good rule of thumb. It's enough to take a bite out of most people's budgets, which means it's a real sacrifice. Properly done, it will be the first check that we write, so that we will be giving our firstfruits to God's work rather than our leftovers. This allows us to think beyond ourselves and our wants. It may force us to exercise faith in getting by - but since on average, people spend their raises pretty soon after they get them and don't have any more extra money than they had before they got it, I would say that tithing gives us more confidence in approaching God for the help we were going to have to ask for anyway. It will help to force us to exercise patience and self-control with feeding our desires. That not only builds two spiritual virtues, but helps us to dodge three spiritual bullets - the lusts of the flesh, the lusts of the eyes, and the pride of life (1 John 2:15-16).

Any meaningful financial offering has to be substantial enough to do those things. I don't see how 2% or 5% would have the weight needed to do that work in our lives. Raw amount isn't important, as Jesus pointed out with the widow who gave all of the two cents she had to her name. Proportion is where the value is. She gave 100%. Normative would have been 23.3% on average, the way the Jews had their offerings set up. And some Christians today balk at 10%.

Upvote 0

GaryArnold

May 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As soon as you use any Old Testament law for your guidance in giving, you are ignoring one of the greatest gifts given to us by God - His Spirit. IF you truly have the Holy Spirit, and USE it, you don't need any guidelines.

Those who have much but give little obviously aren't following the Spirit. If the giving doesn't come from the heart, you might as well not give.

No one pays the Biblical tithe today. NO ONE. God defined His tithe as a tenth of crops and animals, and commanded the tithe be taken to the Levites. Today, those who give a tenth of their income to the church are giving, not tithing, per the Bible. So-called tithing today is man's tradition, not God's Word.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
do they check people's pay stubs as well?
(-;

I would be wary of a church that requires tithing. Do they enforce it? It should be no problem if they teach that believers should tithe... but if they are demanding it, then they want something from you.

I completely agree with tithing -- it is part of the Law that God asked us to honor for all generations. But if you hold to tithing, then also look up other offerings and festivals -- there were a lot of different landmarks like that, showing gratefulness for how God delivered people.

Jesus paid the price for our sins. That replaced the animal sacrifice. The tithes went to feed the poor and cover priests' expenses. Some grain offerings fed people who offered them, or were shared during festivals. Tithes, offerings and sacrifices were different things with different purposes.

Generosity toward the poor was taught by Jesus -- He did not say we should forget the Law. In fact, He said He did not come to abolish the Law, but to fulfill it. The heart of the law was very protective -- it kept people from disease, abuse, theft, and unjust rulings.

My advice -- find an alternate place to give, like a homeless shelter or friends on the mission field. See how your church handles not getting the whole tenth.

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The issue here as I see it is not about whether to tithe or not, but rather, is the church demanding it. If they are demanding it of either members or attendees, imo, turn tail and run. We give as the Spirit prompts, as a man purposes in his own heart, as the apostle Paul put it. I happen to tithe because for me it is a symbol of believing God will provide. If I do it because some human tells me to or else I can't play in his yard, there's nothing holy about that. It doesn't bring me closer to God. And if my church isn't about bringing me closer to God, I need a new church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_maize

Feb 23, 2010
✟15,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The New Testament requires a tenth of all of a person's income just like it is mentioned in the Old Testament. The new church I have been going to on Sunday, requires me to give a tenth of my income. But I am in disagreement with this. If this church does require me to give a tithe, then there is no choice than me to leave that church. Please comment. Thanks and God bless you.

Yes, not one church I've been to requires tithe at all, whether you are new, or a 80 year old deacon. I would be highly wary of a church that enforces such a thing.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because something is written in the Old Testament that doesn't make it bad. People use the Old testament when it is convenient to them but if it is about doing something that requires a sacrifice they throw it out the window. Jesus Christ didn't come to die on the cross to change the tithing system.

The tithes did not belong to the levites but to God and God said in Malachi that we can rob him in tithes and offering. My church believes in tithe giving and because of this, is able to run about 7,598 schools, one of the largest church supported educational systems in the world, our health care system is the largest non-profit, protestant health care system in the world caring for over 4 million patients yearly. In humanitarian aid we have a Relief Agency operating in over 120 countries worldwide to bring relief in crisis and development in situations of poverty. This was only possible because of the support from church members in giving tithes and offerings. That is what happens if the money goes to the right purpose.

However, it is not forced upon any member to pay tithes or offerings. It is up to you. God's money must be used to the furtherance of the gospel and helping others. If you have to give tithes you must ensure the money is not being used just to build up someone's mansion as is the case sometimes. So I would advise that you return your tithes, but if the church seems it as mandatory for membership you should really take careful note. God never forces anything on anyone.

Upvote 0

GaryArnold

May 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Can anyone give even one scripture where God required anyone, at any time, to tithe on their income? Can anyone give even one scripture where God ever gave any pastor or church permission to receive the tithe?

God defined His tithe in Leviticus 27:30-33 to be a tenth of crops and animals which are assets that came from God's hand, not man's income. Then He gave His ordinances, or commands, in Numbers 18 to take the tithe to the Levites, forever.

You can give a tenth of your income to the church if you wish, but you can't pay the Biblical tithe today. It is impossible. Giving a tenth of your income to the church is not tithing per the Bible, it is tithing according to the custom of man.

Most everything a pastor teaches on tithing in wrong.

Preacher: You tithe on the first ten percent of your income.

God’s Word: You tithe on crops, and every tenth animal that passes under the rod. NOT the first, but the tenth. See Leviticus 27:30-33. Preachers are mixing firstfruits with the tithe and they are NOT the same. In Nehemiah 10:37-38 we learn that the firstfruits were taken to the temple for the priests, and the tithe was taken to the Levites to go into their cities.

Preacher: The Levites worked full-time at The Temple.

God’s Word: The Levities and priests were divided into “24 courses” and they rotated working at The Temple one week out of every 24 weeks. Therefore, the priests and Levites actually worked at The Temple about two weeks a year. The rest of the time they had regular jobs. See First Chronicles 24 for the priests and chapters 25 and 26 for the Levites.

Preacher: You tithe the BEST to God.

God’s Word: You tithe every tenth animal whether that animal be good OR BAD. See Leviticus 27:30-33.

Preacher: The firstfruits of your income belong to God.

God’s Word: In the Old Testament, every time a firstfruits offering is mentioned it is referring to the first of the crop, assets that came from God’s hand, not man’s labor. Firstfruits offerings has nothing to do with income.

Preacher: The tithe was taken to The Temple.

God’s Word: The tithe was taken to the Levites to go into their cities. See Nehemiah 10:37-38.

Preacher: Malachi 3:10 Take all the tithes to the storehouse.

God’s Word: The Levites received the tithe, and they were required to take a tenth of the tithe to the priests. ONLY that tithe went to the storehouse, NOT the tithe from the people. Again, see Nehemiah 10:37-38.

Preacher: You are robbing God if you don’t bring your tithe to the church. Malachi 3:8-10.

God’s Word: The priests were robbing God, not the people. The priests robbed God of the tithe by stealing the Levites portion (Nehemiah 13). The priests robbed God of the offerings by giving the worst and keeping the best (Malachi 1).

God defined His tithe in Leviticus 27:30-33 as HOLY. How can anyone change God’s definition and then call a tenth of their income a HOLY tithe!

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I remember when the question came up about giving 10% of your gross or net. It was asked and the answer was do you want a gross blessing or a net blessing? that worked for me! I don't question it. People get so hung up about giving money to anything but themselves. He gave us everything and we can't open our purse sometimes in thankfulness?

Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

IXA the Knight Kamen Rider
Apr 26, 2009
Canmanico, Valencia, Bohol
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As long as we give with our hearts which is not tainted by ulterior motives but is full of self sacrifice... Then it is. For the destination of that specific tithe if in good hands, can bring smiles to the face of those who are sad and we are to be generous. That is probably God's rule for us to be generous with our hearts at full force of love.

I remember there is a passage in the NT that there is or was a woman who had almost nothing to give to the altar but the money she had left for she love God with an ardent heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem is not with the 'law' but is with us trying to KEEP
the law. Galatians 3:3 & Romans 7:12

You see the law can only be fulfilled (or kept entirely) by JESUS.
"Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes." (Romans 10:4)

We are fooling ourselves and according to Galatians putting ourselves
under the curse or trying to follow another Gospel. That other Gospel
is 'works related' and not 'love / SPIRIT' related.

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. Galatians 3:10

If you try to keep any of the 613 laws in the OT, and fail on just 1 then
you are guilty of breaking them all. Paul warned CHRIST would have
no effect on you. (Galatians 5:2 and 4)

Your works produce - self righteousness.
HIS work produce - true righteousness.

What we do teach is giving out of LOVE. I've seen this done many times.
And when its done by HIS SPIRIT OF LOVE, and you watch it (or
are participating in it), you wont know who got the greater blessing!
Because the giver is SUPER BLESSED and the receiver is also SUPER BLESSED.
We joke that it seems that the giver is even greater blessed than the person
who got the money.

Its either Law or LOVE
Its either your effort or JESUS.
It either your 10% or JESUS 100%.

When you 'give up' all the petty things you hold on to and take HIM
alone - everything changes.

So that everything is done for edification (1 Corinthians 14:26)
and no one can boast in HIS presence. (1 Corinthians 1:29 & Eph 2:9)

Isn't JESUS Wonderful!
Isn't HE complete in everyway!

-eric

Upvote 0

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
- MOD HAT ON -

239644-albums1818-20895.jpg

Howdy folks, this thread has been moved from Christian Advice to the Ecclesiology Forum.

Carry on.....

- MOD HAT OFF -

Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Law was a covenant between God and Israel and not God and the world. The Gentiles never were a part of this covenant, and that doesn't change after a person gets saved because Jesus was the end of the Law as a means to righteousness.

The Law was established so that the Jews could have a way to be righteous before God. If they kept the commandments of the Law then they were counted as righteous and received God's blessing. But if they broke this covenant by not keeping these commandments God (not the devil) cursed them. But, now, all people that are in Christ are righteous before God through Jesus and the Law has passed away because it's righteous requirements have been fulfilled in Christ.

So, if you want to give to your Church, then give. And, if you don't want to give then don't. You're righteous before God either way. If you want to give to a person then do it, if you want to give to a charity then do it. Just give from your heart and not because someone has told you that the Bible says you are required to give a tithe because that just isn't true.

exeric, good post about tithing. You made several valid points.

Blessings,

Alan

Upvote 0

JDWat09

Champion For Jesus
Jan 15, 2009
Copperas Cove, Texas
✟8,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I called my church (the one I had been going to lately) I had it explained to me better. It isn't required at my church, but it is encouraged. Also, they will not keep tabs on everyone in their giving. That made me feel good. Praise the LORD!

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Law was a covenant between God and Israel and not God and the world. The Gentiles never were a part of this covenant, and that doesn't change after a person gets saved because Jesus was the end of the Law as a means to righteousness.

The Law was established so that the Jews could have a way to be righteous before God. If they kept the commandments of the Law then they were counted as righteous and received God's blessing. But if they broke this covenant by not keeping these commandments God (not the devil) cursed them. But, now, all people that are in Christ are righteous before God through Jesus and the Law has passed away because it's righteous requirements have been fulfilled in Christ.

So, if you want to give to your Church, then give. And, if you don't want to give then don't. You're righteous before God either way. If you want to give to a person then do it, if you want to give to a charity then do it. Just give from your heart and not because someone has told you that the Bible says you are required to give a tithe because that just isn't true.

exeric, good post about tithing. You made several valid points.

Blessings,

Alan

One problem. As Paul said the law was never given for that reason but to point out sin. Moses was not counted as righteous because he followed the law but because of his faith and allegiance to God. As long as there is love there is a law which is automatically fulfilled as it was in the OT.

Upvote 0