Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to train for a 2 mile race. I have been running two miles once a week as the 'timed' run; and during the week I do 400 repeats, calisthenics for legs & core, along with two long runs. Are there better training regimens that I can do to improve my PB for the 2 miles?

In peace

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The 400 repeats (if run at max effort), will do the most to improve a 2 mile raceme. This, along with a couple runs a week at a pace you can complete 3 miles or so, should prepare you well.
Thanks for your advice!
What is the average that someone should be improving their run times over time?
I started off doing two mile races once a week starting on September the 16th, 2018 running 14min 25sec.
Three months later, my PB is now 13min 03 sec. Obviously there is improvement, but should I be making more progress?

In peace

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How many miles a week are you running? Though it may seem a bit counterintuitive, for most people the thing they can do to improve their race speed the most is run more. Only after building a solid base does speed work maximize their improvement.

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How many miles a week are you running? Though it may seem a bit counterintuitive, for most people the thing they can do to improve their race speed the most is run more. Only after building a solid base does speed work maximize their improvement.
I don't really keep track of the miles, rather I keep track of the time. I really dislike track running, so running around in circles is a big mental barrier for me.

I have been running a route that takes about 45 min, and another one that takes 30 min to complete. My goal is to run better then my previous time.

When you mean running more, do you mean the number of miles I run or the time I run?

In peace

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't really keep track of the miles, rather I keep track of the time. I really dislike track running, so running around in circles is a big mental barrier for me.

I have been running a route that takes about 45 min, and another one that takes 30 min to complete. My goal is to run better then my previous time.

When you mean running more, do you mean the number of miles I run or the time I run?

In peace

If your goal is to just improve 2 mile race times and your body is capable, you should run 5 to 6 days a week. One run should be pure speed work on the track, one can be an intervall hill workout and another can be a 'fartlek' type run. The other 2 runs can be longer distance (4 miles or so), at a slower pace.

You seem to have improved your 2 mile times quite well, judging by what you wrote.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In peace

Either one works for keeping track. You had only referenced distance in the OP, so I assumed that was what you used. How long until your race?

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Either one works for keeping track. You had only referenced distance in the OP, so I assumed that was what you used. How long until your race?
Yea, distance is what I use.

I don't have a specific race I am pushing towards; I just want to improve my run-time for personal empowerment.

Thanks for your tips.

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If your goal is to just improve 2 mile race times and your body is capable, you should run 5 to 6 days a week. One run should be pure speed work on the track, one can be an intervall hill workout and another can be a 'fartlek' type run. The other 2 runs can be longer distance (4 miles or so), at a slower pace.

You seem to have improved your 2 mile times quite well, judging by what you wrote.
Thanks for those suggestions. What are "fartlek"? What would be your suggestion as far as hill workout is concerned?

In peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for those suggestions. What are "fartlek"? What would be your suggestion as far as hill workout is concerned?

In peace

Fartlek training is like the following:

Lets say your normal comfortable pace is 9 min per mile. With fartlek, you run a period at this pace and then speed it up to say; 8min per mile pace for a minute or two, then back down to 9 and then keep repeating, for 25 to 30 minutes.

With hills, it all depends what you can tolerate based on your current fitness level. I typically find an area where i can run uphill at at least a 6% grade for 60 seconds or so. I run up the hill and slowly back down and repeat 6 to 8 times.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yea, distance is what I use.

I don't have a specific race I am pushing towards; I just want to improve my run-time for personal empowerment.

Thanks for your tips.

Got it. Your weekly 2 mile run is your "race".

Then the first thing I would suggest is to change how often you are time-trialing 2 miles so you are doing it every 2 weeks, not every week. On the other week, replace the time trial with a long run - build up to running 90 minutes or so. Add in bhsmte's fartleks on one of your runs one week, alternating the next week with track work to get some speedwork in. Try to run 5 times a week, all the runs easy except for the fartlek/track work, and your 2 mile time trials. Conversational pace easy. 30 minutes or so.

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fartlek training is like the following:

Lets say your normal comfortable pace is 9 min per mile. With fartlek, you run a period at this pace and then speed it up to say; 8min per mile pace for a minute or two, then back down to 9 and then keep repeating, for 25 to 30 minutes.

With hills, it all depends what you can tolerate based on your current fitness level. I typically find an area where i can run uphill at at least a 6% grade for 60 seconds or so. I run up the hill and slowly back down and repeat 6 to 8 times.
Got you! Thanks for elaborating on what fartlek is (how did it even get that name?).

In peace

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Got it. Your weekly 2 mile run is your "race".

Then the first thing I would suggest is to change how often you are time-trialing 2 miles so you are doing it every 2 weeks, not every week. On the other week, replace the time trial with a long run - build up to running 90 minutes or so. Add in bhsmte's fartleks on one of your runs one week, alternating the next week with track work to get some speedwork in. Try to run 5 times a week, all the runs easy except for the fartlek/track work, and your 2 mile time trials. Conversational pace easy. 30 minutes or so.
Exactly. Even though it is for my own fitness shape, I do run with a couple of friends once a week for the 2 mile timed race. I said it wasn't a race because of the competitiveness that it implies. Though there is competition for this race, the overall goal is for all of us to get better and improve our PB, so we have a 10 week competition to see how much we've improved and have a point system with it.

All this is just to say that I will take the advice you are giving me about how much to run and the type of pace, but I will still be doing a race every week, rather thab bi-weekly. Thanks for the advice, bro!

In peace

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. Even though it is for my own fitness shape, I do run with a couple of friends once a week for the 2 mile timed race. I said it wasn't a race because of the competitiveness that it implies. Though there is competition for this race, the overall goal is for all of us to get better and improve our PB, so we have a 10 week competition to see how much we've improved and have a point system with it.

All this is just to say that I will take the advice you are giving me about how much to run and the type of pace, but I will still be doing a race every week, rather thab bi-weekly. Thanks for the advice, bro!

In peace

Sounds fun! Here's to great success for you and your friends.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fartlek i believe was named after some sweedish dude, who came up with the training strategy.

"Fartlek" means speed play in Swedish. In it's truest form it is simply unstructured speedwork. Picking a tree to run fast to, then slower for a bit until you find something else you want to do like run hard up the hill that just showed up. Unplanned and just whatever happens. That kind of thing.

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That sou
"Fartlek" means speed play in Swedish. In it's truest form it is simply unstructured speedwork. Picking a tree to run fast to, then slower for a bit until you find something else you want to do like run hard up the hill that just showed up. Unplanned and just whatever happens. That kind of thing.
That sounds intriguing! It surely beats running around a track in circles! I can imagine, however, that without a regimen, I will give myself more rest than I need to... It will be a mental battle.

Upvote 0