Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some people do not believe they can TRULY be saved if they do not understand EVERY LITTLE DETAIL of doctrine.

Like were Adam and Eve naked in our sense - or were they obscured by that ball of golden light that covered them from shoulders to knees?

Did the snake have legs before the fall? If so, how big were they?

What happened to all the fish when God killed everything in the Flood except the occupants of the Ark. Did they die too?

Those aren't the silly questions I would ask God personally nor is my faith dependent on knowing every single detail about everything that wasn't revealed in the Bible. My belief in a creator is firmly based on what is observed in nature-a mind at work, an intelligent designer. Anyone behaving in the way you describe would be an idiot par excellence.

Do such people actually exist?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do such people actually exist?
Indeed they do. I have met several of them in my life.

There was one guy that was concerned to the point of depression that his entire denomination was going to hell because they were baptized in the name of Jesus instead of Yeshua (what HE was called in first century Aramaic).

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

There was one guy that was concerned to the point of depression that his entire denomination was going to hell because they were baptized in the name of Jesus instead of Yeshua (what HE was called in first century Aramaic).

So now God sends sinners to be tortured by other sinners [demons] who enjoy themselves eternally torturing sinners? All because of the very serious crime of pronouncing the name Jesus in a different language? That kind of reasoning only provides ammunition for atheists who consider Christianity ridiculously irrational.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some people do not believe they can TRULY be saved if they do not understand EVERY LITTLE DETAIL of doctrine.

Like were Adam and Eve naked in our sense - or were they obscured by that ball of golden light that covered them from shoulders to knees?

Did the snake have legs before the fall? If so, how big were they?

What happened to all the fish when God killed everything in the Flood except the occupants of the Ark. Did they die too?

I know that was not what Radrook was talking about.

It depends on how important a person makes getting answers to these sorts of question, and what they think those answers would tell them. They are not about doctrine.

In regard to science, scientific models can organise theories, but if consistent they'll always be incomplete according to Godel, if I have understood him.

Now back to time-travel experiments. The first thing to note is that science is always retesting, even when they think they have found something, as they need to see if it is a real discovery, rather than an anomaly. Unfortunately the Media sometimes doesn't report with the reserve that scientists couch their 'discoveries' with.

The major problem here is that serious science deals in the nature of things as they are, and looks for structures, mechanisms and such. It doesn't try to make stuff do things it normally doesn't do. Rather it tries to answer questions about what stuff normally does.

'Science advances in two ways,' remarks Jeans, 'by the discovery of new facts, and by the discovery of mechanisms or systems which account for the facts already known. The outstanding landmarks in the progress of science have all been of the second kind.'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Doesn't that kind of requirement turn it all into salvation by a specific work?

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When would I go or where would I go or both? I would want to meet Jesus in person. Then I would travel to the time of Christ's Millennial Rule when all Earth is under God's Kingdom's administration and the resurrection has taken place.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When would I go or where would I go or both? I would want to meet Jesus in person. Then I would travel to the time of Christ's Millennial Rule when all Earth is under God's Kingdom's administration and the resurrection has taken place.

We can guess how time travel (in the sense of 'time leaping') is fraught with paradoxes and dangers, and I'd guess most if not all in this thread don't take it seriously.

That said I thought it worth asking do you not think those sorts of paradoxes and dangers would be greatly increased by trying to leap into Christ's 'millenial kingdom'? What if attempting such a thing was like the man in Jesus' parable who tried to gain entrance to the wedding banquet without a wedding garment? Matthew chapter 22.

The Bible encourages us to ask of God great questions, not those of the manner of the Sadducees and Pharisees.

As to meeting Jesus personally can we not meet Jesus today?

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

My point in replying that I think we should chasten any of our far flung fantasies about time travel with God's Word. I believe every genuine question can find its answer (with the leading of the Holy Spirit) in Scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A couple weeks ago I read the best book ever. It was called "Out of Time" by Cliff Ball. The story rotates around the premise of time travel and constantly talks about something called the grandfather paradox. If time travel were real where would you go?:)

Late 1930s

1960-62 Myrtle Beach

Florida, same era.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We can guess how time travel (in the sense of 'time leaping') is fraught with paradoxes and dangers, and I'd guess most if not all in this thread don't take it seriously.

That said I thought it worth asking do you not think those sorts of paradoxes and dangers would be greatly increased by trying to leap into the 'millenial kingdom'? What if attempting such a thing was like the man in Jesus' parable who tried to gain entrance to the wedding banquet without a wedding garment? Matthew chapter 22.

As to meeting Jesus personally, can we not meet Jesus today?

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

Yes, I am aware of the inherent paradoxes and other intricate problems involved in such a hypothetical scenario. That is why I assumed I had God's hypothetical permission to do such a thing in the first place and that he would have my back as they say. For example, an intrusion into his Millennial Rule by a time machine would obviously involve his permission.

BTw
I once wrote three sci fi fantasy religious short stories all involving a time machine and all with the time-traveler seeking to go back to prove the biblical creation account right to his atheist scientific colleagues who had harassed him during his career for his religious beliefs.

Two stories involved traveling back to Eden and witnessing the creation of mankind. The other was far more ambitious. It entailed a return to the Big Bang itself and observing if indeed God was involved. This latter had the machine spiral out of control and over-shoot past its intended temporal target.

The other confirmed the Genesis account to the occupant but could not return to the present because the sin of hubris prevented it permission.

Of course such fantasy ruminations obligatorily must ignore many paradoxes for the sake of telling the story itself. For example, how do we compensate for the Earth's rotation as we travel back or forward? How can we guarantee not killing someone as we emerge or emerging into solid rock? Will the present be still the present if we inject ourselves significantly into past events?

Here is an example of how the slightest change in sequence of events can cause drastic changes. My uncle was murdered approx. immediately after I last saw him. We had conversed about the guitar and he had invited me to visit him so we could play to together. I never did visit him. However had I done so, then the time-line or sequence of events leading up to his murder might have been altered and he might have lived far beyond that fateful day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the 1980's deffo. i could buy clothes and cd's there and i could go to concerts... oooh i could go and see my favoutite popstars when they were YOUNG gaahhh!
and my time travel machine would definately be a Delorean :)

The 80s were a fun time, for sure.

TV was better, movies were better. Most of the music wasn't great, but we didn't know any better at the time.

And we had a president who wasn't a Communist.

But yeah, I've thought the same thing about the 70s, that it would be fun to go back and buy those long out of print albums I'm trying to track down now, or to see The Band or Leon Russell in their heyday, or even Jimmy Buffett back before he started phoning it is or Linda Ronstadt.

I'd also like to go back and buy some things they don't make anymore, like that little orange Radio Shack radio that attached to the handlebars of your bike and a couple of cane fishing poles (which I still can't believe they don't make anymore).

Maybe I'd go back to the 80s just after Tattoo You came out and tell the Rolling Stones, "OK. We're good. You can stop now."

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You are correct I believe, in assuming God Is Sovereign over any attempts at time travel. While I know we are talking hypothetically its worth taking care over what one dreams up even in that manner. Righteousness is based on faith, not fantastical schemes. Faith accepts God at his Word and stands on his Promises.

In all honesty I do not believe leaping through time or speeding through time will ever become possible.

Many of our species seem more adept at wasting time, than using it productively. Think of someone who makes good use of time and accomplishes a lot in a month or a year and one who squanders time.

How much time is spent by people instead of living in the present by worrying about the future, or ruminating over the past.

I spent over a week off these forums, and in that time i made two window boxes for a community Garden, I have drafted out the shape on a piece of wood for a childs tool rack. My health is not great and these things take me a bit longer than i would like.

And now I must get back to that.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You are correct I believe, in assuming God Is Sovereign over any attempts at time travel. While I know we are talking hypothetically its worth taking care over what one dreams up even in that manner. Righteousness is based on faith, not fantastical schemes. Faith accepts God at his Word and stands on his Promises.

In all honesty I do not believe leaping through time or speeding through time will ever become possible.

Many of our species seem more adept at wasting time, than using it productively. Think of someone who makes good use of time and accomplishes a lot in a month or a year and one who squanders time.

How much time is spent by people instead of living in the present by worrying about the future, or ruminating over the past.

I spent over a week off these forums, and in that time i made two window boxes for a community Garden, I have drafted out the shape on a piece of wood for a childs tool rack. My health is not great and these things take me a bit longer than i would like.

And now I must get back to that.

Very true about being careful what one imagines. However, my writing the stories was an attempt at strengthening the faith of the reader in the veracity of God's word. So I really don't regret having written them. On the other hand, all my other Sci Fi stories and the three novels I wrote I can't justify that way. That's why I stopped writing Sci Fi.

Upvote 0

Minsc

Aug 25, 2016
oklahoma
✟8,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said all things were possible to those who believe I may have figured out how
and he also said you would do greater things than the ones recorded that he did because he said he was going to his father... Over by where I live I was live during the time when I accidently caused a cataclysmic event and I heard the angel blowing the horn call his elect away... I unknowingly met the conditions to have what I was requesting and was awesome

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PinkDragon

Dream crusher
Oct 29, 2016
Europe
✟27,786.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
>Create time machine
>Go back in time
>Kill self
>Because you are dead you can't create the time machine
>Because you didn't create it you couldn't go to the past to kill yourself
>Because you didn't kill yourself you created the time machine
>repeat

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
>Create time machine
>Go back in time
>Kill self
>Because you are dead you can't create the time machine
>Because you didn't create it you couldn't go to the past to kill yourself
>Because you didn't kill yourself you created the time machine
>repeat
I see it as simply creating a different timeline and not as destroying a previous one.
That would harmonize with the multiple universe idea where each of our choices generates and infinity of timeliness.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are not many parts of History that would be nice to live, especially if one went back to the equivalent social class. Any of the good, noble and clean (more or less) situations were one limited to the top 1%.

Black people can't mess with time travel.

Upvote 0