Dec 27, 2016
✟26,747.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was having a discussion with my mother about cursed objects and objects in the home we shouldn't have. My mother has a tiki necklace. We live in New Zealand which has a deep Maori heritage. I believe my stepfather (who is half Maori) gave it to her. I think it's greenstone. I always get creepy vibes whenever I see these creatures. They are on Maori meeting houses and buildings.

It (the necklace) has a creature with its head to its left with a tongue pointing out. I don't believe it is to be in our home or worn. I discussed it with my stepfather and he said its ok, it isn't a God. It isn't a talisman or he said its ok or something... He is ok with it. My mum doesn't want it anyway and let me throw it in the trash. I believe these things could be cursed. I am unsure where my stepfather got it from
It looks like the pictures on this page Greenstone Hei Tiki Meaning | Mountain Jade New Zealand
Am I right that this shouldn't be in the home? I felt uneasy when I saw it.

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was having a discussion with my mother about cursed objects and objects in the home we shouldn't have. My mother has a tiki necklace. We live in New Zealand which has a deep Maori heritage. I believe my stepfather (who is half Maori) gave it to her. I think it's greenstone. I always get creepy vibes whenever I see these creatures. They are on Maori meeting houses and buildings.

It (the necklace) has a creature with its head to its left with a tongue pointing out. I don't believe it is to be in our home or worn. I discussed it with my stepfather and he said its ok, it isn't a God. It isn't a talisman or he said its ok or something... He is ok with it. My mum doesn't want it anyway and let me throw it in the trash. I believe these things could be cursed. I am unsure where my stepfather got it from
It looks like the pictures on this page Greenstone Hei Tiki Meaning | Mountain Jade New Zealand

If the Holy Spirit was moving your conscience about it then follow conscience and remove it from your home.. Let your conscience be clear before the LORD..

Reactions: Jesus' Girl
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Not my object so can't just do it but mum was ok. I feel my family could be cursed nothing is working out in our lives...nothing.

As far as I am concerned, it falls into the category of a GRAVEN IMAGE.

You have done the right thing, better safe than sorry.

These types of things in peoples homes can and do influence their family's.

Especially with the Maori influence in that area of the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I also live in New Zealand and can understand the deep cultural significance of the Tiki. It is a Maori pagan fertility symbol and it was originally to be worn by women. If the Tiki was greenstone it was probably a very valuable item and throwing it in the trash might be seen as an affront to the Maori community if they knew you had done that with it, and you might not win many converts to Christ from that community if they see that you treated one of their treasured and prestige items with disrespect. It might be a bit late now, but it might have been more respectful to the Maori community if it had been donated to the local iwi. That would have shown them that although you may not have wish to retain it because of your Christian faith, they would have respected you and your faith by treating the Tiki with respect. Respect of their Taonga (treasure) is very important in Maori culture.

However, I understand your concern about having a pagan symbol in your home and how it may affect the spirit of your home. These things can have demons attached to them, and, in getting out of your home is the right thing to do to prevent any "giving place to the devil", which we are not to do.

But don't let any of the Maori community know what you have done with that Tiki because if they do find out, don't try and get any of them converted to Christ because they will reject you because of perceived disrespect of their culture.

• Agree
Reactions: sdowney717
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
The object has no spiritual power in and of itself.
You are not 'cursed' spiritually in the New Covenant by things of this world, those who are born of God (the saved), God has delivered from darkness into the Kingdom of Light of His dear Son the Christ. You may be greived by various trials,
1 Peter 1
'that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, 8 whom having not seen you love.'

Simply as for your Christian witness don't wear something that other persons weak or no faith would be affected negatively against Christ.

1 John 5
18 We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.

19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.

20 And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.

21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Some time back I listened to a message by Neville Johnson. He said he had already invited someone to give a message at a church but the person said he might not be able to make it because he suddenly fell ill. So Neville Johnson went to meet him at the hotel that he was staying and he instantly understood what was causing the illness. There was a cursed object in his friend's room. He told him to remove it, then he prayed or anointed the place (can't remember the exact details) and his friend instantly got completely healed from his health issues.
Other than videos like these I have no personal experience with such items or maybe I just haven't noticed.

Upvote 0