Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,173.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Some people say that Jesus was three days in hell. I believe the hell spoken of is a place within the earth similar to the belly of the whale. Well... Tried to make a good video of it this morning anyway...

1 Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly,
2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice. - Jonah 2

38 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. 39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: 40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here. - Matthew 12

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe Jesus was in Sheol, the home of the righteous and wicked until Jesus comes. I believe the Lazarus & rich man story to be literal, and not a parable.

Jesus said the thief on the cross that 'today, you will be with me in paradise'. I believe this is what He mean, that they will be in Sheol with the righteous, and where righteous in Sheol is paradise. There are two 'hells' in the Bible, first one is Sheol, the second Gehenna which is the lake of fire. I wish we did not translate them both as hell.

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,173.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Jesus preached to the captives in Sheol.
Where would you say Sheol is? And was Jesus in the same state when he first appeared to Mary Magdalene? I would have liked to have captured the moment!

10 Then the disciples went away again unto their own home.
11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.
14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.
15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her. - John 20

th

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where would you say Sheol is? And was Jesus in the same state when he first appeared to Mary Magdalene? I would have liked to have captured the moment!

10 Then the disciples went away again unto their own home.
11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.
14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.
15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her. - John 20

th

sheol? Probably some spiritual dimension. Jesus crossed the great gulf near where the rich man was talking to
Peter. Don’t quote me. Yah the same, no fire in Sheol, just darkness. It maybe empty now.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people say that Jesus was three days in hell. I believe the hell spoken of is a place within the earth similar to the belly of the whale. Well... Tried to make a good video of it this morning anyway...

1 Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly,
2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice. - Jonah 2

38 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. 39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: 40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here. - Matthew 12

Jesus Christ of Nazareth was simply in a tomb for three days and three nights. No need to expand on that truth. Blessings.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,173.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Christ of Nazareth was simply in a tomb for three days and three nights. No need to expand on that truth. Blessings.
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. days and three nights in the heart of the earth. - Matthew 12:40

Noting the wording… “Three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus preached to the captives in Sheol.
Sheol sometimes refers only to the grave so that could be true. But hell/the grave is never called prison and prison is never called hell/the grave. If Jesus' purpose for preaching in sheol was for salvation it was largely a failure only 8 people were saved and they were alive when they were "saved."
1 Peter 3:19-20
(19) By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
(20) Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
Jesus stated His ministry in ministry Lk 4
Luke 4:18
(18) The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Jesus' ministry did not include preaching to the dead in the grave/hell. There were/are no poor, brokenhearted, captives, blind, or bruised in the grave/hell only the dead. The word translated "captive" literally means prisoner of war.
αἰχμαλωτός aichmalōtos Thayer Definition:
1) a captive

Part of Speech: adjective
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from aichme (a spear) and a derivative of the same as G259
From a collateral form of G138 capture, be taken.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. days and three nights in the heart of the earth. - Matthew 12:40
Jesus also spent part of Thursday "in the heart of the earth" in the dungeon.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus Christ of Nazareth was speaking to the Pharasis condemning them for asking Him to give them a sign.

“An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah

Jesus Christ of Nazareth used Jonah as their only sign. Jonah never died in the belly of the fish and returned to the earth fully intact. Jesus Christ of Nazareth did die and He rose from the dead fully intact. The " heart of the earth" and whether He was in hell or not, is not the point here. The main point is the ressurection of The Messiah and the lesson given to a group of evil pharisees .
Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums