Three days and three nights in heart of earth?

How long was Jesus in the heart of the earth?

• Three days and three nights, seventy two hours. (His burial to his resurrection).

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • From his burial on Friday to Sunday morning

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • From the time his spirit left his body until seventy two hours later.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Which post are you referring to?

There are many posts with half quotations and many quotations out of context.
The one that you just edited.

I think the same is true for the Gentiles which were called "God Fearers, which attended synagogues. They also were grandfathered in. Therefore no wonder the law followed by the God fearing Gentiles were to be kept.
No idea what your point is but my point stands. The protection afforded to the Church from emperor worship was rescinded at the behest of jews and the end result was one of the bloodiest persecutions in our entire history.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The one that you just edited.

No idea what your point is but my point stands. The protection afforded to the Church from emperor worship was rescinded at the behest of jews and the end result was one of the bloodiest persecutions in our entire history.
My point is, the four prohibitions concerning Gentiles As found in acts 15, were those taught Gentiles in the synagogues.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Read the study, it outlines every hour from his arrest to first illegal trial to his first legal trial to his resurrection.
I read half of your quoted tract. That was all I could manage, much ado about nothing.

The time Jesus rose is not stated in the accounts, except that is, early on that first day which incidentally started during the previous night.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My point is, the four prohibitions concerning Gentiles As found in acts 15, were those taught Gentiles in the synagogues.
Honestly, is there a reason you're changing the subject? I brought up the jews in Rome. My point is about the Jews in Rome. The Jews in Rome did certain things that cost tens of thousands of Christians their lives.

The Gentile converts to Judaism in ancient Rome (all, what, three of them?) have precisely nothing to do with that.

Upvote 0

His student

Jan 10, 2019
Northwest
✟48,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You misspelled Capice. Let's see if we can harmonize the 2 passages without creating a second sabbath where there is none, since 1st ULB is not a Sabbath..
Mar 15:42
(42) It was the Day of Preparation, that is, the day before the Sabbath. Since it was already evening,[c.f. Lk 23:54]
Mar 15:47
(47) Now Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joseph observed where the body had been laid.[Lk 23:54]
Mar 16:1-2
(1) When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices to go and anoint Jesus.
(2) Very early on the first day of the week, when the sun had just come up, they were going to the tomb.[c.f Lk 24:1]
Mark says the women bought spices after the Sabbath was over. Luke said they prepared spices then rested on the Sabbath.. It is not likely that people kept all the spices etc. required for a burial in their home. What if they prepared whatever spices they had on hand then rested on the Sabbath and after sundown at the end of the only Sabbath they went out and bought more spices? And early the next morning went to the tomb.
Luke 23:53-56
(53) And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid
(54) And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.[c.f. Mk 15:42]
(55) And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.[c.f. Mk 15:47]
(56) And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.
Luke 24:1-2
(1) Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.[c.f. Mk 16:2]
(2) And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre.
A very creative (and contrived) post.

By the way - you misspelled capisce.

I think you meant I misspelled that Italian word. I did not.

Capisce (which you mispelled) is an Italian word as it is commonly spelled (which I assume neither of us are).

Your spelling "Capice", my spelling "Capeesh", and the spellings "Capeche", "Capiche", "Capische", "Capisci", "Coppish", and "Kapeesh" are English/American slang spellings (which, I assume, we both are).

Capeesh?​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,183,504.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Lord was not dead three days and three nights but instead three days and three nights in the hands of sinners(heart of the earth). This is clearly shown to be the case in a study by Victor T. Houteff. Links to his studies and charts and one by Brother Don Adair below.
Shepherd's rod Tract ten
Shepherd's Rod Message

Don Adair's study
STUDY27

Chart of Three days and three nights.
Three Days & Three Nights in the heart of the earth

I hope this helps to show the truth about the meaning of what the three days and three nights in the heart of the earth actually was.

Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the belly of the fish, saying,

“I called to the Lord, out of my distress,
and he answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and thou didst hear my voice.
For thou didst cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas,
and the flood was round about me;
all thy waves and thy billows
passed over me.​

Considering the above quote from Jonah, the sign Jesus referred to, it is obvious that "heart of the earth" cannot be interpreted as being under the power of the authorities. Jonah himself gives the interpretation that he was in the realm of the dead, though he was still alive inside the fish.

Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
I read half of your quoted tract. That was all I could manage, much ado about nothing.

The time Jesus rose is not stated in the accounts, except. that is, early on that first day, which incidentally started during the previous night.
He rose early morning the first day. To fulfill his words he would have had to spend a full three days and three nights in the hands of sinners(heart of the earth/Sanhedrin court) that is 72 hours from his first legal trial before the Sanhedrin court the 72 hours thus being completed(and by extension three days and three nights) on Sunday morning at the same time of his first legal trial. There is a much larger study by Don Adair that outlines this also that if I can find online I will post it here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Honestly, is there a reason you're changing the subject? I brought up the jews in Rome. My point is about the Jews in Rome. The Jews in Rome did certain things that cost tens of thousands of Christians their lives.

The Gentile converts to Judaism in ancient Rome (all, what, three of them?) have precisely nothing to do with that.
If I am including Christian Gentiles in the exemption, then you changed the subject first. I am agreeing with you.
There are those which use this text to say that Gentiles were given these four prohibitions to be able to attend sunagogue. As though Gentiles were expected to go to synagogue and learn to become Torah obedient. Not the case, they were maintaining their status of God fearers under the exemption of the Apostles.
They were not converts Yet, they were Gentiles. And they were more than likely exempt as well.
If The Christian Gentiles kept that status under the Apostles they would remain exempt, as long as the Apostles were considered a sect of Judaism.
Acts 15...
19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.
22 Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren:

Yes lots of people were killed over this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the belly of the fish, saying,

“I called to the Lord, out of my distress,
and he answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and thou didst hear my voice.
For thou didst cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas,
and the flood was round about me;
all thy waves and thy billows
passed over me.​

Considering the above quote from Jonah, the sign Jesus referred to, it is obvious that "heart of the earth" cannot be interpreted as being under the power of the authorities. Jonah himself gives the interpretation that he was in the realm of the dead, though he was still alive inside the fish.
But Jonah was not dead but trapped inside the whale. His statement about being in the belly of hell is saying that he cried because of his affliction that he thought would be unto death. He was not in the realm of the dead, nor did he say that he was only that he thought by reason of his affliction that he would soon be in Sheol.

And for it to be true of Christ he would then have to have been buried 4000 miles in the heart of the earth but was instead buried in a tomb that sat upon the earth and was only dead 39 hours.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,183,504.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And for it to be true of Christ he would then have to have been buried 4000 miles in the heart of the earth
Utter nonsense! Every language is filled with expressions that are never interpreted hyper-literally as you have just done, and the languages of the Old and New Testaments are no exception.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Utter nonsense! Every language is filled with expressions that are never interpreted hyper-literally as you have just done, and the languages of the Old and New Testaments are no exception.
Ah, but that is what you did when Jonah saying that because of his affliction he thought he would soon be in sheol. You interpreted it to mean" Jonah himself gives the interpretation that he was in the realm of the dead"

Jonah 2:2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

Which clearly can be seen to be speaking of him feeling he will soon die. It is the same with the heart of the earth, you interpret it to mean buried in the grave but the words Christ spoke do not say that, just as the words spoken by Jonah do not say that he believed he was already in the realm of the dead(as you interpreted it to mean).

The heart of the earth is clearly shown to be linked to the hands of sinners(Mark 14:41; Matt 26:45), the Sanhedrin Court was the Lord's seat of power on earth it was the Sanhedrin Leadership of God's Jewish Church that was the heart of the earth and sat in Moses seat(Matt 23:1-3). That sat in Spiritual authority of the Church but were sinners, they were the heart of the earth.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,183,504.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ah, but that is what you did when Jonah saying that because of his affliction he thought he would soon be in sheol. You interpreted it to mean" Jonah himself gives the interpretation that he was in the realm of the dead"
Jonah does not suggest he will soon be in Sheol, that is YOUR interpretation. Jonah equates "belly of Sheol" with "heart of the seas", not me.
The heart of the earth is clearly shown to be linked to the hands of sinners(Mark 14:41; Matt 26:45), the Sanhedrin Court was the Lord's seat of power on earth it was the Sanhedrin Leadership of God's Jewish Church that was the heart of the earth and sat in Moses seat(Matt 23:1-3). That sat in Spiritual authority of the Church but were sinners, they were the heart of the earth.
LOL, clearly not. There is no basis whatsoever for your novel interpretation.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
He rose early morning the first day. To fulfill his words he would have had to spend a full three days and three nights in the hands of sinners(heart of the earth/Sanhedrin court) that is 72 hours from his first legal trial before the Sanhedrin court the 72 hours thus being completed(and by extension three days and three nights) on Sunday morning at the same time of his first legal trial. There is a much larger study by Don Adair that outlines this also that if I can find online I will post it here.
Your still trying to accommodate that idea, the idea of three full days and three full nights. Some verses, in fact, say 'in three days'.

There is no clear way of knowing just how long Jesus was in the heart of the earth. If you lean on three full days and three full nights, then you are ignoring the other verses.

Matthew 16:21
From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.

Matthew 17:23
And they will kill Him, and He will be raised on the third day.” And they were deeply grieved.

Why do you emphasize one verse over another?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why do they interpret the scripture the way they do?

They place an emphasis on one or two verses and ignore the rest of the narration.

Who taught them to apply an interpretation to the text rather than just read and understand each account?

Upvote 0