pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
Let's see. Here's one. We have brunch once a month during coffee hour. How about you all?

You lot have brunch once a week during coffee hour. You only ADMIT to it once a month. (See? Nothing is safe! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!)

We have a pretty decent spread after church too most of the time. And we're having soup suppers all during Lent, but I don't think the Clan is going to get to any of them. However, there are going to be some very frequent soup suppers at the Logrus for the next 40-odd days, if only because they can be cooked in a single pot by a Housewife/Society-matron/Engineer/Ballet-student who is just spread *a* *little* too thin to be spending time cleaning up the kitchen!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
One of the nicest church-as-community events I've ever encountered was a custom at our longtime church in our hometown, before we moved South:

Every Wednesday at 5:30, there was a midweek Eucharist, rather sparsely attended but with a cadre of regulars and a few others each week. It was followed by a covered-dish supper attended by those from the service and others who could not make it to church after work in time for the service. What followed varied -- scheduled programs during Lent, committee meetings when they were needed or convenient, or sometimes just casual coffee and chat for those without evening commitments, when nothing else was scheduled. But it gave the people of our large program-driven cross-section-of-the-community parish a chance to get together for worship and fellowship at a time when unstructured time to interact was possible. And it meant a lot to everyone.

P.S.: Pam, what's a "Logrus"?

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
You lot have brunch once a week during coffee hour. You only ADMIT to it once a month. (See? Nothing is safe! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!)

We have a pretty decent spread after church too most of the time. And we're having soup suppers all during Lent, but I don't think the Clan is going to get to any of them. However, there are going to be some very frequent soup suppers at the Logrus for the next 40-odd days, if only because they can be cooked in a single pot by a Housewife/Society-matron/Engineer/Ballet-student who is just spread *a* *little* too thin to be spending time cleaning up the kitchen!

That's because the "Ladies Group" goes and signs up for the brunch days before anyone else can, so frustrated brunchmakers sneak in quiche in the guise of "just a little snack".

ROFL!!!

Personally, i just eat.

TEll us about the Society Matron role?

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
TEll us about the Society Matron role?

Well, you knew didn't you -- or maybe you didn't -- that a little less than two years ago I got a call from someone who knows someone who said "the Ballet Society is about to implode due to executive conflicts and lack of vision -- run for chair or do without classical ballets!" With consequences like that, what could I do? So, I ran for chair, found some wonderful volunteers to sit with me on the executive, and started trying retrieve the Society's business arrangements from the spaghetti-mess of work-arounds and approximations and ad-hocs and just plain unbusinesslike practice that clubs and societies can devolve into when the people who are running them aren't businesslike.

That's not to knock the previous executives: they stepped up and got this thing going despite not knowing a lot about business planning or deliberative societies. They wanted to have ballets and were willing to produce them, but didn't have anyone to show them how.

I didn't know anything about producing ballets either, but I know how to set up a business and how to manage a team. And in order have a team to manage, I need to attract volunteers. And to do that I need to smile and schmooze and wear a silk dress and pearls. I keep my "American Association of Women's Clubs Etiquette Guide" in one hand and my copy of "Robert's Rules of order 4th edition" in the other. And the Gaming Commission fundraising regulations, the Revenue department's Charitable Organizations guide, and a copy of the Society Bylaws on my memory card. Fun times!

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
... what's a "Logrus"?

In 1970, Science Fiction author Roger Zelazny wrote "Nine Princes in Amber" in which he played with the idea of a continuous spectrum of alternate realities. These realities, the story posits, exist as resonance patterns between the Pattern which is the ultimate epitome of Order, and the Logrus which is the ultimate epitome of Chaos.

Dean and I considered one another's talent for housekeeping and conformity, and decided that naming our house "The Pattern" would be silly, so we chose the opposite extreme.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.