Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It is against federal law even if some states have legalized it. And some states have legalized it as a recreational drug that has nothing to do with its use as a medicine. Since no doctor ever doses it or distributes it, it is not really medicine. True medicinal use is legal in all 50 states in the form of Marinol and soon, likely an nasal spray. I seriously doubt that any true studies will show that marijuana has legitimate medical uses in the raw form.
I'm sure this can result in a legal dispute, as I understand it is also illegal for the Federal Government to interfere in such affairs of state, making the outlawing of medicines which are legal in some states an illegal act by the Federal Government, and making such Federal laws legally invalid.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
This has no bearing on the connotations associated with the word.

I don't share your opinion...and the medical field doesn't share your connotation. Pharmaceuticals are called "drugs". We see drugs, when used appropriately, as very positive things.

Upvote 0

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't share your opinion...and the medical field doesn't share your connotation. Pharmaceuticals are called "drugs". We see drugs, when used appropriately, as very positive things.
You do however, understand, that the medical field, no matter how well educated, is only a minority in the wider community?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I'm sure this can result in a legal dispute, as I understand it is also illegal for the Federal Government to interfere in such affairs of state, making the outlawing of medicines which are legal in some states an illegal act by the Federal Government, and making such Federal laws legally invalid.

This is covered under the Commerce Clause of the Constitution (Article I, Section 8, Clause 3). The clause states that the United States Congress shall have power "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes."

In a recent medical marijuana case, Gonzales v. Raich, the Supreme Court rejected the argument that the ban on growing medical marijuana for personal use exceeded Congress' powers under the Commerce Clause. Even if no goods were sold or transported across state lines, the Court found that there could be an indirect effect on interstate commerce. The Court relied heavily on a New Deal case, Wickard v. Filburn, which held that the government may regulate personal cultivation and consumption of crops because the aggregate effect of individual consumption could have an indirect effect on interstate commerce.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
You do however, understand, that the medical field, no matter how well educated, is only a minority in the wider community?

So you are speaking for the rest of the wider community?

What do you call the CVS, Walgreens, or DrugRite? The medicine store OR the drug store?

Upvote 0

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
So you are speaking for the rest of the wider community?

What do you call the CVS, Walgreens, or DrugRite? The medicine store OR the drug store?
So are pharmaceutical salesmen drug dealers?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Isn't "deal" another word for transaction?

They are called "Drug Reps"... and they work for the Drug Manufacturers. They are not called Medicine salesmen...anymore than you run down to the Medicine store to pick up your prescriptions. You really are having a hard time acknowledging you are wrong here. Drugs are simply another word for medicine. And it doesn't imply only recreational used drugs or illegal drugs. (hence, the word "illegal" is usually used when talking about illicit drugs).

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is everyone’s opinion on smoking weed? I have suffered from bad anxiety for years and it’s only gotten worse this past year. It’s staring to turn into depression. I found that weed is the only thing that calms me down. I only smoke it maybe twice a week but it relieves my anxiety so much and I feel like I can live a normal life again. I think it’s better than living off of pharmaceutical meds that make you a living zombie. I also work in the medical field and truely believe that all pharmaceuticals are poison for your body. To me weed is safer and natural.

I think that the medical uses of marijuana have been well documented.

If it helps you with your anxiety, you should be able to utilize it.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I think that the medical uses of marijuana have been well documented.

link even one credible double blind medical study that shows it helps anxiety or any other medical condition... The biggest issue is that it has NOT been studied...and any type of smoke inhaled is bad for the lungs.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
What is everyone’s opinion on smoking weed? I have suffered from bad anxiety for years and it’s only gotten worse this past year. It’s staring to turn into depression. I found that weed is the only thing that calms me down. I only smoke it maybe twice a week but it relieves my anxiety so much and I feel like I can live a normal life again. I think it’s better than living off of pharmaceutical meds that make you a living zombie. I also work in the medical field and truely believe that all pharmaceuticals are poison for your body. To me weed is safer and natural.

What have you done to address the anxiety and depression up until now? ...other than marijuana....

Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

I used pot only once; it happened at age 15. I was with a friend and she offered me some, so I tried it. Then the effects set in. Weed made me feel awful, to say the least. It was like being in a daze, and my IQ seemed to drop. When I rode my bike home after leaving, I swerved off and on the sidewalk and into the grass. My senses had become depressed. When I arrived back at my house, I subsequently laid down on my bed for the next few hours, waiting for the dreadful effects to wear off. From this point on, I realized that cannabis is a terrible drug and never smoked it again.

A lot of people today advocate for the legalization of marijuana. Because of my experience with this drug, I feel like it’s a bad idea. I think people use pot for the same reason they drink alcohol: it’s a “downer” that produces effects they like. In other words, they just want to get high, so keep weed illegal so that no one abuses it. And it isn’t worth making medical cannabis legal, either, because there are plenty of alternatives to treating health issues which don’t involve the use of harmful drugs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Unlike the endocannabinoids that occur naturally in our nervous system and that bind to the receptors for much less than one second, the cannabinoids in weed bind very tightly to the neuroreceptors in your brain and stay there for a long, long time. These receptors are an important part of the feedback system that regulates neural plasticity, which is the mechanism by which we learn, create memories, and mature intellectually. The half-life in the fatty tissue is 7 -10 days, which means that it takes 21-30 days for 90% of whatever you've smoked to leave your system.

So by its very nature, doing weed prevents you from growing up. Sure, you feel more relaxed, but that doesn't reflect an actual improvement in your ability to cope and in fact it will render you less able to cope. In the end it will deepen your depression, especially if you do it so often that your system can't ever completely clean out, and it will adversely affect your judgement for much longer than however long it takes to feel like you've come down. When I stopped smoking, it took about nine months before my head was really clear.

I'm sympathetic with the frustration over the FDA's position on cannabis research. But given the number of different active compounds, the lack of understanding of which specific ones have which specific effect on our body, and the TOTAL lack of control in the chemical profile of what you're buying, it's a really bad idea to self-medicate in this manner. Calling it natural doesn't make it safe, and you're putting your job (and possibly your patients) at risk.

Upvote 0

FaithlessToFaithful

I am finally getting it
Sep 23, 2017
Houston
✟11,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Separated

Heroin and Jack Daniel's helps me with mine.

Not really. But that is a fairly poor argument.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,705.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm in my 60's and medical marijuana is legal in my state (after a second try at a referendum, and the government, kicking and screaming and dragging their heels, deciding they're stuck with it). During this time I discovered I had severe arthritis in my knees (it came with a bang and has gotten worse over 14 months). When I got my medical records I learned they're already bad enough for knee replacements. I went to physical therapy for a few months. I go to water exercise 5-7 days a week, which is really helpful. I was given anti-inflammatory prescription Nsaid meds that had bad side effects for me. My ankles became swollen, my blood pressure went up, and one day I had a severe breathing problem which sent me running to the doctors. In the three days I stopped the meds before going to the doctor, all my symptoms subsided, and all the tests the doctor took were normal.

Severe arthritis is a qualifying condition for medical marijuana, and even though my only experience with marijuana was in college, it can't be any worse than the legal medicine I was prescribed which gave me symptoms mimicking congestive heart failure (after stopping the meds, my heart is fine).

My regular doctor said, "I can't sign the papers for you, but I'm not opposed as long as you get it from a clean source." The dispensaries which aren't open yet will be highly regulated.

I brought my medical records to the one practice in town that was approving applications, but when I submit it I'll still have to wait for the dispensaries to open.

It will be available in a variety of ways--for smoking, tinctures, salves, ointments, pills. It can be with or without THC, the psychoactive component. CBD alone is supposed to be very effective for pain and relaxation. It will be about as expensive as it is on the street (which I think is about $60 for a quarter ounce???) so obviously I'm not going to use more than I need.

I figure it's worth a try. I'm about to retire, and I have a very active life--and a long bucket list. I am doing what I can proactively, but without any medicine except aspirin I have some discomfort.

I know enough people who have smoked (many for anxiety) to be unafraid, and glad my state was forced, kicking and screaming, to follow the will of the people.

Upvote 0