Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If you don't believe that there is alcohol and drugs at cosplay conventions, it is you who is a bit naive. There is a reason why their are "over 18" rooms and sessions.
It would be a mistake on your part to imagine I'm naive. I'm well aware of the over 18 rooms.
But drugs and alcohol does not exist in U18 areas at any event I've been to and if you are aware that thats different in your country then thats an issue for you and your country to sort out and nothing to do with the OP.

I'd suggest that hanging around at some mall with drugs isn't the only other option for teens either.
I agree with that as well. Im sure you daughter does more than CosPlay as do I.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Then you totally misunderstand what feminists refer to when they refer to wage parity.
It is NOT that two people are paid a different rate of pay because of gender. Just as you said, there is legislation in place in many countries to ensure salary is set according to the vocational award and NOT gender. If you think this is what feminists refer to then you totally misunderstand the concept and are listening to the wrong people.

What it refers to is parity in terms of work value. When Industrial Commissions examined vocations they found that a vocation that is predominated by women is paid lower than a vocation predominated by men, and that this is independent of work-value. In other words, a job that female-dominated will be paid less, than a job dominated by men, even when the work-value of the female-dominated job is rated more highly. This is consistent in every single western nation. In developing nations the effect is even greater.

Then again you haven't actually read feminist theory as that's NOT what's wanted. And who are these modern feminists you refer to - is there a modern feminist club? How do I join? Im a teen and a feminist - surely I have to be a modern feminist. Where do I get the badge? Or is there a hat I can wear?

Yes, modern feminist do have a hat...it is pink and designed to look like a female's private parts. Or you can be a traditional feminist and actually fight for women being treated as equals and not needing special privileges that are award because you are female. No one makes a female go into a role historically considered female. The equality doesn't come from paying more to those jobs but by allowing people a free choice of careers, including picking one that has a lower income because that is where ones heart lies.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes, modern feminist do have a hat...it is pink and designed to look like a female's private parts. Or you can be a traditional feminist and actually fight for women being treated as equals and not needing special privileges that are award because you are female. No one makes a female go into a role historically considered female. The equality doesn't come from paying more to those jobs but by allowing people a free choice of careers, including picking one that has a lower income because that is where ones heart lies.
I'm quite used to Christians taking an adversarial role towards Women who seek wage parity, freedom from sexual assault, domestic violence etc.

Ok sure you believe women can take a role that in terms of high work value, but lower in wage. Thats where you and I differ and I intend to use my education to facilitate change.

As for your private-parts dialogue - really? Lets, by all means, debate but keep the dignity in it.

Lastly - never have I advocated any special privileges solely because of gender (but of course you know that). That type of answer from you is common here. Its an attempt to ply me with something you know I havent done in order to strengthen your argument..... it failed....lets debate more appropriately.

In fact, I've stated my case and remained factual. I can back-up my arguments up with crime stats.... unlike the nonsense supposition thrown around here.

And with that - I'll leave you and your peers to continue on your own. What Ive enjoyed though is the anti- comments..... I collect them from this site. Its a valuable thing for the women of my generation to be able to understand the mind of Christian men...and some women it seems.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The hat I described was all the rage for feminists her not too long ago. I was embarrassed for them. The certainly wouldn't have been okay with a man wearing a hat with male genitalia on it.

Again, sexual assault and domestic violence aren't considered feminist issues but rather human rights issues since it would be hard to find any 1st world man who believes he has a god given right to do either.

The most important job in the world has no salary. It is parenting your child to be an ethical, honest, and God-fearing person. My job as a nurse pays relatively well but nowhere near what it is worth. The problem is that no one could afford a hospital stay if we were paid what we are worth. If I was in it for the money, I could move up to an administration job or have gone to medical school to be a doctor. I didn't because I am doing what I want to do and what I chose to do. Sadly, my first degree in engineering was more about listening to the pressures of society at that time and I didn't "waste" my brains by becoming a teacher or a nurse...I had to grow up to really have the courage to follow my heart.

Would you really be okay as a lawyer to get the same pay as a seamstress...who never went to college? That is what you are advocating. (Though I imagine a few very talented seamstresses might make more than some types of lawyers. )

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
And although my daughter and her friend do attend some small anime events and conventions, they prefer the type that have around 1000 attendees over 3 or 4 days because they draw bigger names in the anime world to attend and they get to wear multiple cosplays over several days. These do not compete on the same social level with going to the mall to do drugs or shop (I don't think our malls are drug havens though). I wish it weren't so, but they spend hundreds of dollars on their cosplays, hotel and travel costs, food, admission tickets and souvenirs per event. This is not just a bunch of teenagers dressed up in costumes running around with squirt guns. We seem to be talking different definitions of more than just "feminist".

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In case you think I jest about the hats for feminists...

PUSSYHAT PROJECT™

Or that thousands of women wore them in support of feminism ...
636207087715672807-1723223323_pink%20hats.jpeg

Or even better...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C28qhGzUoAAniU9.jpg

This is why so many Christian women like myself do not support the 'modern feminist"role...or as some call it Feminazis

The right to be treated as equals and not sexual objects is more the traditional viewpoint and most people I know support this fully.

Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then you totally misunderstand what feminists refer to when they refer to wage parity.
It is NOT that two people are paid a different rate of pay because of gender. Just as you said, there is legislation in place in many countries to ensure salary is set according to the vocational award and NOT gender. If you think this is what feminists refer to then you totally misunderstand the concept and are listening to the wrong people.

What it refers to is parity in terms of work value. When Industrial Commissions examined vocations they found that a vocation that is predominated by women is paid lower than a vocation predominated by men, and that this is independent of work-value. In other words, a job that female-dominated will be paid less, than a job dominated by men, even when the work-value of the female-dominated job is rated more highly. This is consistent in every single western nation. In developing nations the effect is even greater.
Maybe it would be best if you just say how you think wages should be set in your version of a modern feminist utopia. Are you advocating some kind of state-enforced pay grading in addition to the existing minimum wage legislation?

Then again you haven't actually read feminist theory as that's NOT what's wanted.
You're right, I haven't read feminist theory. But as I said above, please feel free to say what it is that feminists want.

And who are these modern feminists you refer to - is there a modern feminist club? How do I join? Im a teen and a feminist - surely I have to be a modern feminist. Where do I get the badge? Or is there a hat I can wear?
I don't really see any value in debating what a 'modern feminist' is. It's just a distraction from the topic we're debating. Some of the ideas you are pushing seem to be a modern, 21st century idea within feminism, so the label 'modern feminism' seems to fit. But I don't mind if you want to call it something else, or if you feel you should not be labeled that way. Wear whatever hat/badge pleases you most, or none at all.

Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And with that - I'll leave you and your peers to continue on your own. What Ive enjoyed though is the anti- comments..... I collect them from this site. Its a valuable thing for the women of my generation to be able to understand the mind of Christian men...and some women it seems.

If you want to collect and use people's comments from here in your work, research, project, activism, or whatever else you consider it to be, then some ethical considerations apply. I would advise that as an absolute minimum you must:
1. State from the very beginning that you collect comments, so that people can see that your motivations for being here are not solely for Christian debate and Christian fellowship.
2. Ask the people who post comments on an individual basis for permission to use their comments.
3. Allow people to have sight of the way in which you will be presenting/publishing their comments to audiences, so that they can check their comments are being portrayed in the correct context.

Not doing so is not only impolite, but demonstrates a lack of ethics. You have little idea of the true nature of the people behind these comments, their vulnerabilities, any mental disabilities or learning difficulties they may have, whether they are legally an adult, and any instances of childhood abuse that may have shaped their views and personality.

And there are serious issues of informed consent here. You are not free to do whatever you like with people's comments. Just because something is on a public forum does not mean you have carte blanche to do whatever you please with any comments you find.

If you genuinely want to do research into Christian men's views on feminism, please enroll for a post-graduate research degree at a reputable university, and get your research methods vetted by a university ethics panel before proceeding any further.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Maybe it would be best if you just say how you think wages should be set in your version of a modern feminist utopia
work-value remuneration is pursued through industrial arbitration commisions with feminist lawyers seeking to get fair pay according to the designated work-value of the vocation. I thought this was common knowledge.

Just because something is on a public forum does not mean you have carte blanche to do whatever you please with any comments you find.
When writing something in the public domain, the poster needs to be aware that it is open to access. The user should elect to identify the author if re-publishing. So if, for example, you write a letter to the editor of a newspaper, this can be used and referenced by a third party.

On that note ,I shall not post further in this thread. I'm not here to inflame but to state alternative views to what were being expressed. I have achieved that.

Thank you all for the discussion.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,157.00
Faith
Christian
Ok sure you believe women can take a role that in terms of high work value, but lower in wage. Thats where you and I differ and I intend to use my education to facilitate change.

What people are paid generally comes down to how hard it is to obtain an alternative that fulfills the function. Education plays very little part in it, except for forming a pre-requistie of knowledge that can't be obtained elsewhere (such as engineering or medicine).

Case in point - the (male dominated) job of tech support pays very little, because I can easily find someone in India or the Philippines who will do the same job for $5 an hour without a uni degree, and there's no limit on people entering the industry - you don't need any kind of certification to do it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
-removed-

However, I do believe Christians shouldn't be affiliated with secular feminism by any means - "don't you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God" (James 4:4).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
work-value remuneration is pursued through industrial arbitration commisions with feminist lawyers seeking to get fair pay according to the designated work-value of the vocation. I thought this was common knowledge.
I'm not familiar with the situation in the US, so it's not common knowledge to me. Are the decisions of Industrial Arbitration Commissions legally binding? If so, then in my opinion that would constitute state enforcement.

Here in the UK, there are some lawyers trying to force supermarkets to pay their warehouse and store workers equally. I think it's fairly obvious that warehouse working conditions are significantly less pleasant than store working conditions (stores have to be pleasant, because that's where all the paying customers are). Due to the difference in working conditions, and also that warehouses often tend to be more difficult to commute to and from, I can understand why warehouse working is higher paid.

Tesco equal pay claim could cost supermarket up to £4bn

I'm not a lawyer, but from where I'm sitting, forcing employers to pay equally for jobs that appear similar, but have significantly different working conditions/environments, would be a flawed decision. I'd suggest that the only way such a decision could be reached is if the commission making the decision was stuffed with un-elected, right-on, PC types.

In my opinion, a similar argument would apply to your comparison of the pay for child carers and welders. Have you ever visited a welding and fabrication workshop? I'm going to guess probably not, because you'd have to be invited on a tour, or be an employee with a reason to enter workshops and in possession of appropriate PPE.

I used to work for an engineering company that had extensive welding and fabrication facilities. I visited the workshops many times, so I can tell you from first hand experience that they are fairly unpleasant places to work. Below are listed a few of the many factors that make working there unpleasant, and why welders deserve a high rate of pay for the work they do:
  1. In winter it will be freezing cold, unless you're very close to a hot area of the fabrication you are working on. In summer it will often be extremely hot due to the sun beating down, and all the heat generated by the manufacturing processes in use.
  2. The air is thick with particulate matter, from the various welding, cutting, and grinding processes. If you spend more than a few minutes in there, when you blow your nose later it will come out black.
  3. There are numerous hazards, such as risk of burns, risk of arc-eye, compressed gases, crush risk from heavy workpieces, overhead traveling cranes, electric shock from damaged cables, cutting and grinding equipment, and many more besides.
  4. Hearing protection is mandatory due to tools in use such as angle grinders, chipping guns, and plasma cutters/gougers. But it's a dirty sweaty environment, so you might get an ear infection from wearing ear plugs all day long.
  5. Eye protection is also mandatory, but wearing it doesn't mean you will never risk damaging your eyes and eyesight. When I worked there, one of the most common reasons for a hospital visit was 'foreign object in eye'.
  6. If you are working offshore most of the above will apply, and you will be flown to the worksite at huge expense by helicopter. The only way to make it economically viable is to live on the oil rig, doing a working pattern of long shifts, with 2 weeks continuous working, followed by 2 weeks off. Obviously that means you won't even see your wife/children/friends for 2 weeks at a time.
  7. All of the welding was for safety critical applications. The consequences of getting it wrong could be catastrophic.
Now, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about the occupation of child carer, so perhaps you could be good enough to explain, in detail, the exceptional factors and working conditions that warrant much higher pay for child carers than they currently receive.

And another thing. Feminists hardly ever seem to mention the workplace fatality gap. Approximately 93% of workplace fatalities are men.

Gender Pay Gap? What About The Workplace Death Gap? | Investor's Business Daily

Feminists seem to want the same pay as exists for hazardous jobs and unpleasant working environments, but without being exposed to any hazards or unpleasant work environments. In my opinion, such a position just sows disharmony between men and women, but maybe sowing disharmony is the primary goal amongst those feminists who are also misandrists.

When writing something in the public domain, the poster needs to be aware that it is open to access. The user should elect to identify the author if re-publishing. So if, for example, you write a letter to the editor of a newspaper, this can be used and referenced by a third party.
What you are describing is appropriate attribution, citation, referencing, and avoiding the situation where you could be accused of plagiarism. And that is totally different from checking that you have the right to publish what someone has written. Newspapers are generally quite careful about only printing material that they have permission to publish. Typically they will state that 'Letters submitted to the editor must be clearly marked as 'For Publication''', or they may do it the other way around, by stating that 'All material submitted to the Editor is deemed to be for publication'.

You can argue all you like that when people post on a public forum that 'the poster needs to be aware that it is open to access', but that still does not absolve you from the additional ethical responsibilities that come with being a social sciences researcher. And from what you've previously written here, you do seem to consider yourself as some kind of researcher. Certainly anyone who copies material from CF with the intention of using it in some kind of social sciences project would fit that description.

Your proposal that quotations from CF will all be correctly referenced and attributed is even worse than I feared. Even without attribution, Google allows anyone reading your work to rapidly search for the original source, and adding a proper citation will only make that easier. Why would you want to risk a situation where someone comes on CF searching for the original author, finds them, and then engages in harassment and attempts to dox them because of the views they hold? You need to be aware that you are lifting material from a fairly quiet sub-forum of a little-known website, and there may be unpleasant consequences for someone who did little more than air what are often considered fairly mainstream views.

I looked on your profile page, and there does not seem to be anything there that suggests you are here to study other forum members, and nothing in your signature either. I think people have a right to know if you are using them and their posts for your social sciences project, and that you need to ask for permission before copying people's posts. Adhering to the principle of informed consent is just basic social sciences research ethics.

As I said before, if you want to do social sciences research, please enroll on appropriate courses of study, where you will be taught research ethics as part of your studies. Certainly no reputable university would let you engage with human participants until you have been appropriately trained in that area. And that training will include the importance of gaining informed consent before you start using your fellow humans as research material.

And if anyone's wondering, yes, I did recently post a poll here that gathered a small amount of data on people's current dating activity. But unlike Zoii, I don't intend to do anything with the data or disseminate it more widely. When asked what I was going to use the data for, I was totally honest, and responded with the word 'Nothing'.

On that note ,I shall not post further in this thread. I'm not here to inflame but to state alternative views to what were being expressed. I have achieved that.

Thank you all for the discussion.
That's a shame. I don't think the debate is anywhere near finished. Why don't you stay and respond to all the alternative views?

• Informative
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

So teachers are going to be paid more than lawyers in Australia if the feminist lawyers are successful?

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is a cult actually. The authors of it are new age/higher consciousness crap Helena Blavatsky and related who wanted to destroy the institution of marriage and society.

There is no gender pay gap. Statistics do not lie but statisticians do (BLS is not the bureau of labor statistics...but it is rather known as bunch of lying statisticians). It's a free market, you agreed to the wage.

• Agree
Reactions: blackribbon
Upvote 0

sea5763

May 9, 2018
California
✟59,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I’m a woman in the west and hearing accusations of all men being oppressive bastards upsets me and turns my stomach.

I feel like all the complaints you hear about men in the west oppressing women is like the canary in the coal mines. If they can chirp you know they are still alive. It’s when they stop chirping that you know there’s toxic gas in the mines because they are dying or dead.

If you’re really oppressed by a tyrannical system then you are killed or persecuted or punished for complaining or saying anything.

Most societies throughout history gave women few to no rights and they could barely work any jobs if any. I was allowed to go to school. I was allowed to pick my major. I’m allowed to vote. I’m allowed to own property. I’m not forced to marry anyone. I’m not forced into sex trafficking. I can pursue any career I want. I can drive myself. I am legally allowed to do anything a man is allowed to do.

Reactions: Milan Polenta
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So teachers are going to be paid more than lawyers in Australia if the feminist lawyers are successful?
seriously - please read posts before you reply. Wage parity is normally pursued in line with work value.

Your sudden drifting in something unrelated such as law versus teaching - sigh - vocations are matched according to work-value and the work value is determined (in most western countries) through industrial arbitration. The notion then is - If vocation A is the same work value as Vocation B, then there should be wage parity.

Please stop with the petty 'this will getcha' comments.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
seriously - please read posts before you reply. Wage parity is normally pursued in line with work value.

Your sudden drifting in something unrelated such as law versus teaching - sigh - vocations are matched according to work-value and the work value is determined (in most western countries) through industrial arbitration. The notion then is - If vocation A is the same work value as Vocation B, then there should be wage parity.

Please stop with the petty 'this will getcha' comments.

I did read what you posted. And obviously, I don't understand. I consider the job of school teacher to have more value to society than being a lawyer. So by what I read, that would mean that teachers should be paid more (or at least as much) as lawyers. And the reason they don't is because women tend to take these jobs which is a women's issue because it causes women to be in a lower economic bracket than men....hence, the inequality in men and women's wages.

Reactions: Milan Polenta
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am not a feminist. I was raised in an environment where men were respected and held in high esteem. There were no attempts to usurp their authority because they accepted the responsibilities of their position and did not require others to pick up the slack.

The women in my family relished their femininity and the men celebrated it as well. Place was a mainstay of my upbringing. Knowing ones place was an element of gender and good breeding and its something I've held on to.

As a result, I developed a healthy opinion about the opposite sex that wasn't mired in rhetoric or politics. I'm saddened by the propaganda that demonizes masculinity in an attempt to create an effeminate alternative. I reared my daughter with the same principles to ensure she wouldn't succumb to their ideologies down the road.

For me, my ladyship finds its complement in his gentlemanship. I have no regard for the modern alternatives being marketed to the masses.

Reactions: Rigatoni
Upvote 0