This is what I wanna do on my land.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Check out:

Basics of housebuilding:
https://www.thespruce.com/building-your-own-house-1821301

How to get the costs down:
https://tinyhousebuild.com/the-incredible-8000-tiny-house/

Home house calculator:
https://www.costtobuild.net/
(Note: They estimate high on some things in this calculator)
(They also factor in labor and stuff, which you may do yourself).

I hope this helps, and may God bless you in the building of your new home.
Thank you so much brother, God bless you :] I have decided to do a small poured wall basement and build on that. I figure the basement will pay for itself in storage room alone.

• Winner
Reactions: drjean
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much brother, God bless you :] I have decided to do a small poured wall basement and build on that. I figure the basement will pay for itself in storage room alone.

Awesome. I like basements and had a lot of fun in them. I just remember growing up that certain rooms or basements can get moldy very easily. So as not to damage your stored stuff, I would consider investing in affordable ways to keep it dry as possible.

Here are some tips:

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/reduce-moisture-damp-basement

https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/33048/Using-Building-Science-to-Transform-a-Damp-Musty-Basement

God bless you brother.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
See link: Site prep, Firm foundation, permits etc

And couldn't pass this up ;)

Matthew 7:24-27
Building on a Solid Foundation
24 “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. 25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. 26 But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. 27 When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.”

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Awesome. I like basements and had a lot of fun in them. I just remember growing up that certain rooms or basements can get moldy very easily. So as not to damage your stored stuff, I would consider investing in affordable ways to keep it dry as possible.

Here are some tips:

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/reduce-moisture-damp-basement

https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/33048/Using-Building-Science-to-Transform-a-Damp-Musty-Basement

God bless you brother.
Amen and I was considering a small dehumidifier. But I think I will vent it and temp control the basement I needed a place to store canned food and those jars take up a lot of room so the basement is the right choice I believe. Also the best place to keep the solar batteries and inverters.
It seems storage is always my biggest problem, I am a prepper and I have a tendency to "stock up"

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Site prep, Firm foundation, permits etc

And couldn't pass this up ;)

Matthew 7:24-27
Building on a Solid Foundation
24 “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. 25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. 26 But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. 27 When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.”
I was just thinking the same thing. lol

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amen and I was considering a small dehumidifier. But I think I will vent it and temp control the basement I needed a place to store canned food and those jars take up a lot of room so the basement is the right choice I believe. Also the best place to keep the solar batteries and inverters.
It seems storage is always my biggest problem, I am a prepper and I have a tendency to "stock up"

As for stairs: I would invest in putting in ramps instead. We all grow old and can trip on those nasty steps. A broken bone for an elderly person can mean a walking cane or a wheelchair. A wheeled cart can be used on the ramp and can be helpful for taking your stored goods right to the basement from the store with no problem.

Here is one I bought that has taking a lot of pounding with lots of heavy cases of bottled water and garbage. It is very affordable, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Deluxe-Utility-Cart-Black/dp/B001DZ4QTC?

If you want to prepare for the worst, you can hide your basement door entrance with a Murphy door (that you can build yourself) or buy here:

https://www.themurphydoor.com/

The only thing is that you would have to hide the basement windows without blocking any air or light too much. A row of fake or real bushes around the house in some mulch may be an idea (if you want to hide the basement as a second secret living area or panic room).

As for trash:
I would build a shed and place it a good distance away from the house and place inside the shed one or two waist level large storage refrigerators (possibly cooled by electricity if you can afford it) so as to put your trash into them. I would keep the shed well ventilated with some fan options in the ceiling or roof and a window or two. This will help minimize bugs, bees and animals wanting to check out what waste you got. Also, having the trash next to the house will make bugs and animals even more curious to enter your home. Also the smell of trash near your house is never fun if your trash guy did not come that week (for some reason).

In addition to this: You can create a cheap small stone sidewalk to the shed from your house and to the street so you can wheel a cart to pick up trash and take it to the street for pick up.

Granted, I would take extra measures to insulate your home against bugs and animals as much as possible in the building stage that is within your budget. Then spray regulatory around your home to keep them away.

Anyways, these are just ideas that are optional, my friend. It may not be your cup of tea or something you want to waste money on.

In any event, I hope these ideas inspire or help you in the building of your home.

May God’s love shine upon you today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh, and cheap Faux stone panels or cheap stone exterior siding on the outside of your wood home is something you may want to consider to help protect your house against the weather, animals, and bugs. It will also make your home look amazingly awesome, too. Well, that is if it is within your budget. Perhaps it something you may want to do later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
As for stairs: I would invest in putting in ramps instead. We all grow old and can trip on those nasty steps. A broken bone for an elderly person can mean a walking cane or a wheelchair. A wheeled cart can be used on the ramp and can be helpful for taking your stored goods right to the basement from the store with no problem.

Here is one I bought that has taking a lot of pounding with lots of heavy cases of bottled water and garbage. It is very affordable, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Deluxe-Utility-Cart-Black/dp/B001DZ4QTC?

If you want to prepare for the worst, you can hide your basement door entrance with a Murphy door (that you can build yourself) or buy here:

https://www.themurphydoor.com/

The only thing is that you would have to hide the basement windows without blocking any air or light too much. A row of fake or real bushes around the house in some mulch may be an idea (if you want to hide the basement as a second secret living area or panic room).

As for trash:
I would build a shed and place it a good distance away from the house and place inside the shed one or two waist level large storage refrigerators (possibly cooled by electricity if you can afford it) so as to put your trash into them. I would keep the shed well ventilated with some fan options in the ceiling or roof and a window or two. This will help minimize bugs, bees and animals wanting to check out what waste you got. Also, having the trash next to the house will make bugs and animals even more curious to enter your home. Also the smell of trash near your house is never fun if your trash guy did not come that week (for some reason).

In addition to this: You can create a cheap small stone sidewalk to the shed from your house and to the street so you can wheel a cart to pick up trash and take it to the street for pick up.

Granted, I would take extra measures to insulate your home against bugs and animals as much as possible in the building stage that is within your budget. Then spray regulatory around your home to keep them away.

Anyways, these are just ideas that are optional, my friend. It may not be your cup of tea or something you want to waste money on.

In any event, I hope these ideas inspire or help you in the building of your home.

May God’s love shine upon you today.
Love the Murphey gun case I mean door. :] and I had never thought of a ramp.
That is an awesome idea because under it is even more storage area to be utilized. Thank Brother

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Love the Murphey gun case I mean door. :] and I had never thought of a ramp.
That is an awesome idea because under it is even more storage area to be utilized. Thank Brother

You are most welcome, brother.

I also find this link you may like. Here is a guy who built his tiny house for 8,000.
He went the extreme in buying things used, etc:

https://tinyhousebuild.com/the-incredible-8000-tiny-house/

While I do not like the look of his house in any way (outside or inside), he does have some good ideas to save money.

God bless, brother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟561,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Love this. I wish we had the knowledge and resources to go this route back in the early 70s when we started. I remember the first issues of Mother Earth News. They were very thick and bound with staples. Heavy newspapers type paper. These first few years were the best. Now it is reduced to a liberal agenda environmentalist rag. Sorry... just my opinion. If you can find the DVD that has all the issues back to the 70s grab it!. They used to sell this, but I cannot find it any longer.
At our age and health, we are pretty much beyond changing. We are good to keep up our half acre lot and gardens. Just have to trust God for what comes. We have a good prep room with 6 or 8 months of staple goods.. rice, beans, boxes of #10 cans of veggies, even some hamburger and Yoders Bacon. etc etc. If you are young... get started. Start with land... then shelter... then water and food resources.
Have fun. Move in love and faith.

• Friendly
Reactions: drjean
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, the bad news is that it takes money to build a house these days (even if you do it all yourself). I think the cheapest you can build your own home is 8,000-10,000 and that is pushing it buying used or second hand materials. But it will look like a shack. The price of buidling a home also depends on what state you are in, as well. For example: Colorado is very expensive. California is nearly impossible to own a home. If you are in certain states, it is more expensive regardless of what you build. I plan to put a trailer on a land and then build the house in stages or phases (based on what we save) until it is complete. 10,000 is what it will cost to do a descent basement these days. If you do the work yourself you might be able to cut the cost a little.

A descent tiny home will cost you at least 30,000 these days. I would round up a little higher on that figure, too. Expect to always pay a lot more than you think (even if you are being frugal and doing it all yourself).

Now there are methods to build your home out of cheaper materials, but do you want your house to last for a little while or a long while? Always build your home to be the best quality as possible. I would rather cut on size and have a better built house than a poorly built big house that could fall a part or have major problems down the road.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was thinking of doing concrete block for my home.

This company can do a 1530 sq. ft. concrete block home about 25,000 I do believe. 15,000 for the materials of the concrete block and 10,000 appx. for local labor.

http://www.conardsblocks.com/services.htm
(Note: Their concrete blocks are bullet proof).

Of course this does not count all the other things that a house requires like the architectural plans, the slab foundation, the roof, the insulation, wood framing for interior walls, drywall, plumbing, electrical, sewer/or septic, labor you need to hire that you may not be able to do yourself, etc.

Now, if you cut the square footage in half, say... 765 sq. ft. then it may be also half of the cost possibly. Putting your concret walls as the main part of your house at 12,500. (not including the other stuffs).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If it is just yourself and you have no other family living with you, you can build an awesome super tiny house (almost room size with all your needs) with a large covered deck (so as not to feel so isolated in such a small space). Then as you have money, you can add on to the house. You can build room by room as you go. 24 x 24 ft. is a 576 sq. ft. home. This would be the equivalent of a comfortable sized two car garage. Just make sure that your city approves the architechural plans (certified by an architect) on such a home before you build. Architectureal plans can be expensive. Expect to pay 2,000. in many cases. Companies that will build your house want to draw up their own plans again if you have plans and they will charge you for another set of plans. So always expect to pay for this amount if you have a company do the major labor on your house.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Many cabin floor plan companies also have blueprints and building punch lists etc, and some might have what you need to submit to authorities for approval (then the inspections...) how rural are you, and what is your land zoned I guess are determining factors.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0