This is the ignorance we face daily in the news.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can understand women not wanting to be assaulted. And I can understand considering the job of cleaning outhouses to be beneath one's station.

If a behavior is widespread and pervasive it's part of culture.
Assaulting and raping women is one of their goofy cultural ideas.

Many cultural practices of the third world are considered insane by the west, like insisting on growing low nutrition crops when better food crops are needed and available for planting. There is a decided lack of protein in the diet of the lower class that contributes to their poor health and thus their inability to rise out of poverty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes. I like the idea of forcing a women to abort in the 9th month. And abandoning their baby. They wont be able to keep. Because of limit reproduction.

In China it is women who have been discovered to have hidden their pregnancy that are 'cajoled' into aborting late term (although I think this has changed recently as well).

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
India's middle class is now greater than all of the US combined (over 500million). So again, "teeming masses"? Seems more than a bit trite and empty as a phrase.

It's not longer the World Vision commercial it used to be.

Looks like they have a teeming mass of middle class people. :eek:

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟561,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Many cultural practices of the third world are considered insane by the west, like insisting on growing low nutrition crops when better food crops are needed and available for planting. There is a decided lack of protein in the diet of the lower class that contributes to their poor health and thus their inability to rise out of poverty.

If those crops are more profitable than the more nutritious ones, not only is that not insane, but it's basic economics.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You would. You're an atheist.

I don't see what that has to do with it...I'm basing my opinion on rationality and logic.

I also understand that my opinion has at least some element of subjectivism to it. I considered both possibilities...a nation with a massive overpopulation problem, and all the related health/starvation problems that go along with it....and a nation that limits how many children a person can have...and the emotional toll/suffering that goes along with that.

I think the nation with so many starving/struggling over too few resources is the nation with more suffering...I also think it's unquestionably more prone to disaster as well.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟561,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Has anyone tried to get the Indians to stop pooping so much? Maybe that would help.

Have you ever had Indian food?

Good luck with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Because a Christian wouldn't think that killing an unborn child is a rational response to any problem.

Well I guess you see the limitations that christianity places on dealing with problems in reality then...

Because if killing an unborn child is, in fact, the rational...or even only solution for a particular problem ( like overpopulation) then christians are utterly unequipped to deal with that problem.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Yes, being a Christian means accepting limitations on how we solve problems.
Port-a potties, segregated bathrooms, condemning and fighting against the inhumanity of the caste system, GMFs and other Green revolution innovations, expecting miimum standards from trading partners, and many other solutions exist that could possibly make the murder of the unborn, and unborn girls in particular, unnecessary.
In terms of birthing the next generation, culling females through abortion may be the Indian solution, it may be rational behavior,but it can never be a Christian solution.
For atheists, human life may be reduced to a few dollars of chemicals. For Christians, this is not how we believe. Murder therefore, is not a rational option.
People are not cattle, or wildlife to be culled. That is what Christians believe.

Well a few of us anyway. There are plenty who believe in abortion is a good thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Chris1984
Upvote 0

Chris1984

Sep 4, 2016
Pittsfield, NH
✟16,825.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Well I guess you see the limitations that christianity places on dealing with problems in reality then...

Because if killing an unborn child is, in fact, the rational...or even only solution for a particular problem ( like overpopulation) then christians are utterly unequipped to deal with that problem.
I don't even know what to say to this. I mean, you're advocating the slaughter of the unborn as a reasonable thing, and somehow I'm the one who's got his head in the wrong place. This is why Christians say that we're in the world but not of the world.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Chris1984

Sep 4, 2016
Pittsfield, NH
✟16,825.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Are you saying all Christians think abortion at any time, should not be allowed?
Yes, although it's not possible to make an atheist see reason on this point. To an atheist, an unborn baby isn't even a person. It has no value, no soul, and no consequence.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, although it's not possible to make an atheist see reason on this point. To an atheist, an unborn baby isn't even a person. It has no value, no soul, and no consequence.
Blue - or the law.
Red - please stop with your group flaming.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't even know what to say to this. I mean, you're advocating the slaughter of the unborn as a reasonable thing, and somehow I'm the one who's got his head in the wrong place. This is why Christians say that we're in the world but not of the world.

I'm pretty sure you can't even see the irony of that statement...

It's exactly the primitive, emotional, selfish side of humanity...the very human part of us...that causes us to decide we'd rather have a child that will almost certainly starve to death instead sacrificing that child...and the desire to have it...for the betterment of everyone.

Were it not for mankind being so very "worldly" situations like the one in China or India wouldn't even happen.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟439,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

You aren't basing your position on reason though...you're basing it on religious beliefs.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If a behavior is widespread and pervasive it's part of culture.
Assaulting and raping women is one of their goofy cultural ideas.

One of ours too, in case you've forgotten.

1024px-%28A%29_Rape_rates_per_100000_population_2010-2012%2C_world.jpg

Rape culture - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One of ours too, in case you've forgotten.

1024px-%28A%29_Rape_rates_per_100000_population_2010-2012%2C_world.jpg

Rape culture - Wikipedia

Good point.

According your graph (if current) U.S. has seen a rise of .5 rapes per 1000 since 2003.

Rape rates in the U.S. per 1000 people, 1973-2003.
Over the last four decades, rape has been declining. According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, the adjusted per-capita victimization rate of rape has declined from about 2.4 per 1000 people (age 12 and above) in 1980 (that is, 2.4 persons from each 1000 people 12 and older were raped during that year) to about 0.4 per 1000 people, a decline of about 85%.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The press should remind them daily that they cannot advance as a civilization with their population so high. They should do what China did, limit reproduction.

Oh, yeah, because India doesn't already have a problem with unwanted female children, and that policy didn't lead to killing children because they were females, either.

Upvote 0