E

explodingboy

Why would you be so eager to shoot Americans in a game?

because nearly 90% of the games involve either, playing some rank of US service man, or typical Hollywood macho American.

Sometimes It's nice to play the other way around.. and I'd say top of my head, the few German missions you can play in WW2 games, are nearly always the Eastern front.

Upvote 0

IDDQD

Nov 2, 2005
✟3,613.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
why change what ain't broke.

sometimes, I want a nice brainless shooter. Although Nazi zombies co-op, is about the only one I've been playing of late.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. After all, you're talking to someone who still plays Quake 1, The Ultimate Doom, Doom II, The Master Levels of Doom II, Final Doom, Doom 3, Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil. They're extremely mindless (which I like).

My issue is that MW2 is being made out to be this so-called "Second Coming of Christ" in video games kind of epicness when it's not that epic. It would be like if I told someone Brand X of cake was the best thing ever because it has Y, Z, A, and B in it and someone bought said cake, ate it, but found out that Brand X of cake is just like Brand Q of cake. And Brand C of cake.

For me (and this is just my opinion), hype is a form of false advertisement: promising and guaranteeing through some means (verbal claims, huge launch parties like MW2 done, general making a huge deal out of what is a game that does little to nothing to differentiate itself from other games) that you're going to get something new when it reality it's the same thing all over again. I got burned by buying into the hype of Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 and those were learning experiences for me not to go by what developers, publishers, and people are saying. I have to do my own research.

Whoops. lol soapbox :v

Why would you be so eager to shoot Americans in a game?

I think there should be a game where there's equal opportunity to kill people of any nationality, any sex, any age, etc. so people will quit whining about one group getting blasted but not the other. That way nobody has a right to complain.

Not that it's going to stop people, though. <__<

Upvote 0

ceh85

You shattered my darkness,washed away my blindness
Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But why the desire to kill Americans?

Well for one thing people don't actually kill others by participating in a video game, as you know.
For another, as Shawn said, why kill Russians? Do you think it is better to play Americans killing Russians in these games rather than vice versa? Just curious.

Upvote 0
E

explodingboy

I got burned by buying into the hype of Halo 2 and Half-Life 2

Personally, I really liked Half-Life 2.
Otherwise, I still haven't seen that much hype for MW2, it sold lots, so it's mentioning is news worthy in that regard. Apart from that, I've not seen or heard anything about the game, so either I've been sleeping too much or it's not really been that much news about it being a revolutionary game.

I think there should be a game where there's equal opportunity to kill people of any nationality, any sex, any age, etc.

darn dirty liberal, and your equality rubbish ;)

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
explodingboy said:
There are more than a few video games that let you shoot Russians.
Communists usually, but yeah Russians are still kind a convenient bad guy for some reason.
beyondashes said:
Perhaps his point is that no one seems to have a problem shooting Russians, but you'll never see games where you get to gun down Americans...
Which would be ridiculous because I'm fairly certain there are more games about the American Civil War than any other topic.

Darn Yankees/Southerners...

explodingboy said:
and I'd say top of my head, the few German missions you can play in WW2 games, are nearly always the Eastern front.
We must not be playing the same WW2 games then, because many I've played let you play the entire game against the US/western allies. Flight sims are generally good at letting you play against the US, and there was the first couple Close Combat games that let you play the whole campaign against the US/Britain, and there are games such as Silent Hunter 3 that are nothing but fighting the western Allies.

It's pretty common for games to let you play as the Germans period.

explodingboy said:
because nearly 90% of the games involve either, playing some rank of US service man, or typical Hollywood macho American.
This is a more valid criticism. You're likely to be more able to play as a German than a Brit or some other Ally in most games.

Games are actually not that bad at this considering it's Americans making the game. Hollywood is horrible at it though. e.g. a movie about a certain uboat that the British captured in real life but Americans did in the movie.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ceh85

You shattered my darkness,washed away my blindness
Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Blackguard. Just to let you know, BeyondAshes actually said the sentence you quoted and attributed to me. I agree with you that there are games where you shoot Americans! I don't think the nationality of the made-up people who get killed in a game is of supreme importance ;) Personally I don't really enjoy playing video games but I would hope most people who play them know it is just that, a game.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
E

explodingboy

Which would be ridiculous because I'm fairly certain there are more games about the American Civil War than any other topic.

Darn Yankees/Southerners...

I can think of about.. 2 American civil war games.. and a few that are mods for COD/BF games..

I think there are pretty much zero games set during the civil war, if you compare them to the usual settings, especially in the FPS category.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
explodingboy said:
I can think of about.. 2 American civil war games.. and a few that are mods for COD/BF games..

I can think of a lot more.

I think there are pretty much zero games set during the civil war, if you compare them to the usual settings, especially in the FPS category.
In FPS yes, in general, no.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IDDQD

Nov 2, 2005
✟3,613.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
darn dirty liberal, and your equality rubbish ;)

Inorite? :V

Modern Warfare 2 > Super Mario

3726239808_1a75a9d4d6.jpg

Upvote 0

Gym

CF's Ruskie
Sep 10, 2009
✟12,239.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps his point is that no one seems to have a problem shooting Russians, but you'll never see games where you get to gun down Americans... apparently that would be wrong. -eye roll- lol
THIS!!!
*waves his Russian flag while speaking Russian*

Upvote 0