This is probably a dumb question, but what did Jesus...?

Sep 1, 2018
Private
✟18,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
... look like back then? It doesn't change my love for Him at all, that's the total opposite of why I'm asking. He could be green for all I care, I would still love Him the same. :)

But I was in a mindfulness meditation, listening to a worship piano song called "Alone with Him" and my mind pictured Him and I face-to-face. I was crying about my depression and anxiety and my lack of will to live.

And He just held me so tight.

But He didn't look how He looks in paintings and movies and all.

I mean in the "vision," He had shoulder length, thick hair and the facial hair, but He was tan. Not black, but tan.

********Is this bad that I'm not seeing Him in my "vision" as He is in paintings? Or am I just looking too deeply into this? >.<

SistrNChrist

Aug 17, 2006
NYC
✟30,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think your vision might be closer to the truth than what the paintings depict. The paintings tend to depict Jesus as looking more European/Caucasian, when in reality, He lived in the Middle East, so I'd assume he had a more Mediterranean/Arab complexion, which is sounding like what your vision was.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No one knows what Jesus looked like. No one could make photographs back then, and (to my knowledge) no one made a drawing or painting of him during his lifetime, or if they did, that artwork is lost to us. A good guess is that he looked roughly like modern Palestinians, but that still gives us a huge range of possibilities for height, facial features, and so on.

I don't know if, in your vision, you saw what Jesus actually looked like. Possibly you did, or possibly your mind conjured up an image based on something deep within your human imagination or memories. What's important is that you saw his deep love for you, which is very real.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Every race has "made" Jesus one of their own. There's an article out there filled with Korean depictions of Him, us in the West are accustomed to seeing a European image, and those in Africa and the Middle East will have an African and Middle Eastern idea of Him.

His appearance shouldn't concern us- He looked as He looked.

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What ever image you have of Jesus he is always more than that image. A lot of people see Jesus based on their perception filter where they grew up , culture etc ..Jesus can never be limited to any made made image the Christ is always more than we can comprehend. Try this meditation next time instead of focusing on his face focus on his flaming heart instead where he told us the kingdom of God was to receive insights .Blessings

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
... look like back then? It doesn't change my love for Him at all, that's the total opposite of why I'm asking. He could be green for all I care, I would still love Him the same. :)

But I was in a mindfulness meditation, listening to a worship piano song called "Alone with Him" and my mind pictured Him and I face-to-face. I was crying about my depression and anxiety and my lack of will to live.

I mean in the "vision," He had shoulder length, thick hair and the facial hair, but He was tan. Not black, but tan.

********Is this bad that I'm not seeing Him in my "vision" as He is in paintings? Or am I just looking too deeply into this? >.<

Nobody knows what he looks like. The paintings/pictures you see in churches or where ever are not "true" pictures/paintings of Jesus .... there are none. So what you are envisioning what He looks like is that what he really looks like? Again, nobody knows and we will not know until he comes back. He held you and holds you ..... that's the important thing. So yeah ... with what He looks like .... looking too deeply.

May He continue to hold you in His Love. Amen.

God Bless

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
2F5E2BD100000578-0-image-a-67_1450108407720.jpg

I really love this depiction of Him (hopefully the image posts)- but, as I said, His appearance doesn't mean too much for us theologically. It's just nice for us to have a mental image of Jesus to help us grow close to Him.

Reactions: JohnB445
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A good guess is that he looked roughly like modern Palestinians, but that still gives us a huge range of possibilities for height, facial features, and so on.

Jesus was Jewish not Arab. The Jews traveled to be in Israel so they originated from elsewhere in the world and would not have looked like those who had been living in the middle east.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Did he look like my avatar? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 241199

I really love this depiction of Him (hopefully the image posts)- but, as I said, His appearance doesn't mean too much for us theologically. It's just nice for us to have a mental image of Jesus to help us grow close to Him.
Skin tone likely right, and maybe hair and beard, but otherwise this image is very terrible i feel. Not because it's an image, but because He's so much in a better state of mind than this unfortunate image shows. This image looks emotionally ruffled and out of sorts.

• Agree
Reactions: icxn
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
View attachment 241199

I have never liked this one---makes Him look rather Neanderthal--it says there is no beauty that none should desire Him, but this one is rather bordering on repulsive! He may not have been beautiful, but the look of peace, wisdom and joy on His face would have been welcoming. But the coloring is more accurate than the blond, blue-eyed versions--IMHO. Probably lighter in color for the Jews are usually lighter than the Arab/Egyptians. Though--there are black Jews. Also, He looks much too muscular. He led a life of simplicity, leanness and was a carpenter/mason. This is more what I feel Peter would have looked like. More like the bull in the China shop he comes across as!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Blessings Follower Untainted, Wow you had a face to face with Jesus. Let's not lose the importance of that meeting by looking as surface appearances: Jesus came to you in your time of need and showed you how much He loves you and how important you are to Him. Now whenever you become depressed you will know the truth as Jesus see you. He sees a person worthy of His love and the suffering and death that He experienced for you. You are truly blessed. God has a plan for you, pick up your cross and follow Him.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I've always thought of this as an interesting but unimportant subject. Fun to wonder about I guess. One could say God, Jesus didn't come down to the earth in the time cameras came about and probably a good thing. We know what people are like. They'd take a picture of Jesus and would worship an image substituting the word of God for that. So what could one say about what Jesus would look like? As for his color of hair and whatever....who knows....probably a brown or similar to what middle eastern culture have. I'd say his facial features are things one could rightly guess at. We know that if someone is confident and has no worry it shows on ones face. If they're selfish and greedy and full of strife it puts kind of a scowl on one. Jesus was confident, joyful, and full of love so you wouldn't see a troubled look in his demeanor. Now some may not want to believe this and that's ok, but a few people I know who claim to have seen Jesus in vision or heaven here's an interesting thing they say. The most compelling thing about the look of Jesus is his eyes. When you look at them it's like looking into pools of deep LOVE. Everything radiates and has an effect upon all of his facial features due to that one thing. I've never had such an experience but it sounds like that could be true.

Upvote 0

sea5763

May 9, 2018
California
✟59,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I would think he would look like a Jew because He was Jewish! He would have had to look somewhat like the people around him because he was able to disappear into crowds when persecuted. Also according to Isaiah He would not have been beautiful. I had sleep paralysis one time and thought I saw Him. He was light in the shape of a man in my dream. I tried asking Him what race He was at the time but the answer I heard wasn’t in English so I don’t know. In all likelihood being Jewish during that time period he probably did look like what your vision was. I didn’t see His eyes in my dream just brilliant light. Because of my dream when I read about near death experiences where it is somewhat common for people to encounter a being of light I assume that they saw Jesus even if they don’t realize it. I know it’s all conjecture but those are my thoughts.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There are modern day ethnic Samaritans who were close relations to the Jews of ancient times, you can google them to see what they look like

Probably similar to modern day Jordanians and Syrians
But remember with the spread of Islam centuries ago darker people from the Arab peninsula went all over the Middle East changing the ethnic makeup of many communities

Upvote 0