• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Things you can do to de-escalate and divert an emergency

xnickyx

† Saved By Grace †
Mar 4, 2011
Mold
✟15,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So glad that I have come across this post - Has reminded me about ways that I can make sure I don't give in to wanting to hurt myself again - I have a baby boy and a wonderful fiance now - I don't need to go back there - I don't want to go back there! Thank you for the post ♥

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Two other things I'm not sure have been listed....

Create a comfort box or basket for yourself. Put all manner of things into the basket that comforts some part of you, good memories and feelings of safety.

Use a red magic marker instead of something sharp, for those who self harm that way.

:hug:

You can heal... it might just take a little longer than you thought.
icon12.gif

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Eishiba

Dec 15, 2011
✟15,450.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't really know why I feel so strongly lead to this specific area on this site. However, I have overcome this terrible habit. First, think of what you use to harm yourself. Then get rid of it. If its a knife, ask someone to take it from you because its hard to have the strength not to dig it back out. If its a kitchen knife, don't dig it out. Try a hobby. When I struggled with depression it was hard for me to even remember what I enjoyed doing. So try making a list of things you enjoy doing. Then go to your list and one by one, just start doing them. Sewing, a musical instrument, exercise, a new recipe, read, or anything you physically enjoy. The idea is to get your mind from what is tempting it, to what it enjoys. Hope this helps somebody.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Two of my tricks:

I often find that taking an ice-cold shower shocks me enough to replace the cutting sensation.

Also, eating somewhat-spicy foods that make my mouth burn can take care of my longing for pain. Just make sure nothing you eat is dangerously spicy... try the hot salsa you can eat but still enjoy.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums