Japan
✟23,051.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
I wonder if all the people that have claimed that this "Cordoba house" is named after some kind of massacre have actually RESEARCHED the Cordoba Caliphate. If they did they'd learn that, despite being constantly attacked by christian kingdoms, the Caliphate was a center of learning which welcomed all faiths, had one of the largest libraries in the world (with the largest number of books from all three Abrahamic faiths), and allowed Christians and Jews to freely worship.

Heck, the Caliphate were a lot more kind and decent to the native Jewish population than the Christian Spanish of the 14~1500s.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
For those who want these guys fired, who believe they are obligated to work on the this mosque, here is how construction workers are treated in a one Muslim state:
Every evening, the hundreds of thousands of young men who build Dubai are bussed from their sites to a vast concrete wasteland an hour out of town, where they are quarantined away. Until a few years ago they were shuttled back and forth on cattle trucks, but the expats complained this was unsightly, so now they are shunted on small metal buses that function like greenhouses in the desert heat. They sweat like sponges being slowly wrung out.

Sonapur is a rubble-strewn patchwork of miles and miles of identical concrete buildings. Some 300,000 men live piled up here, in a place whose name in Hindi means "City of Gold". In the first camp I stop at – riven with the smell of sewage and sweat – the men huddle around, eager to tell someone, anyone, what is happening to them.

Sahinal Monir, a slim 24-year-old from the deltas of Bangladesh. "To get you here, they tell you Dubai is heaven. Then you get here and realise . . .
Long article. For the full text from The Independent click here:

The Dark Side of Dubai

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
Are you trying to insinuate that the US workers would be treated the way workers in Dubai are treated because the employers in Dubai share a similar faith with this American Imam?

This would be like saying Christian rice farmers in the US must obviously farm small acreage using buffalo because that is how rice farmers in the Phillipines (a Christian country) farm.

In other words, what you're saying is either completely bonkers, or a sinister distortion of reality for God knows what reasons.
Why not just stick with the truth?

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Heck, the Caliphate were a lot more kind and decent to the native Jewish population than the Christian Spanish of the 14~1500s.

Many Jews picked the losing side in that battle. They were given fair warning for decades before they were expelled that the Christian Crown and the Church were in no mood for a fifth column after centuries of Muslim occupation.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Are you trying to insinuate that the US workers would be treated the way workers in Dubai are treated because the employers in Dubai share a similar faith with this American Imam?

Simply illustrating the hypocrisy of those who attack these hard hats in NYC but are silent on what is done to construction and other workers in the Arab world.

YouTube - Abusing workers in Dubai

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
For those who want these guys fired, who believe they are obligated to work on the this mosque, here is how construction workers are treated in a one Muslim state:

The Dark Side of Dubai

First off, no one said they should be fired or obligated to work on the Community Center(it's not a Masjid). They can choose not to work on it, but also shouldn't expect to be compensated for CHOOSING NOT TO WORK. As for what happens in Dubai, what does that have to do with anything related to NYC? That's like me pointing out an incident in Lincoln, Nebraska with something that happens to people in Jakarta, Indonesia; the two aren't even related.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Simply illustrating the hypocrisy of those who attack these hard hats in NYC but are silent on what is done to construction and other workers in the Arab world.

YouTube - Abusing workers in Dubai

Who here has "attacked" those "hard hats in NYC"? Ok, that one guy who said they should lose their UI, but that's just silly. Personally, I am saying that the hard hats (although that term is just as silly; they are construction workers) can do whatever they want, but don't expect that what they do will make any significant difference to the mosque being built.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The Dark Side of Dubai
So they are treated differently. Big deal. just to keep you pleased I am more involved with action against this kind of treatment as opposed to NYC mosque where I am only voicing an opinion.

Many Jews picked the losing side in that battle. They were given fair warning for decades before they were expelled that the Christian Crown and the Church were in no mood for a fifth column after centuries of Muslim occupation.
So what your saying is that unchristian behaviour was perfectly justifiable because they had been warned? Don't make sense according to my bible.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if all the people that have claimed that this "Cordoba house" is named after some kind of massacre have actually RESEARCHED the Cordoba Caliphate. If they did they'd learn that, despite being constantly attacked by christian kingdoms, the Caliphate was a center of learning which welcomed all faiths, had one of the largest libraries in the world (with the largest number of books from all three Abrahamic faiths), and allowed Christians and Jews to freely worship.

Stop bringing facts into this will you. They are most inconvenient!

Upvote 0

Drekkan85

Immortal until proven otherwise
Dec 9, 2008
Japan
✟23,051.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals

Yes, those evil Jews were justly punished for being Jewish. Are you actually trying to defend the Inquisition? Something the Catholic Church itself came out and apologized for as being completely unnecessary and a barbaric waste of life?

Really? REALLY?

As for your other post - I never got it. Why should we care that they do things worse in Dubai or in the Middle East. Isn't the Western World supposed to be freer? Isn't the West supposed to be 'better'?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So some won't built it... there'll be plenty who will.

Not many people can afford to pass up a paying job in this economy.

Well Kate 460 people have signed the petition on there website according to the counter however there is no way to know how many of those people actualy are contruction workers that will have the choice as to whether or not to work on the job.
Also even if we assume that they're all people that are turning down the chance to work I'm sure as long as the money is right there won't be any problem replacing them.

Upvote 0
T

The Lady Kate

Well Kate 460 people have signed the petition on there website according to the counter however there is no way to know how many of those people actualy are contruction workers that will have the choice as to whether or not to work on the job.
Also even if we assume that they're all people that are turning down the chance to work I'm sure as long as the money is right there won't be any problem replacing them.

Well, there's no shortage of Construction Unions in NYC... I found one on Google (Local 79) which claims over 9000 members.

so the 460 names on the petition isn't really that impressive when put in perspective.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I agree that there are many people willing to build the mosque. The 'hardhats' have a right to voice their opinion, but they do not have a right to not do the job they're paid to do. I can't think of any religious convictions that would stop anyone from building the mosque. All it is is propaganda by the Republicans, who propose that this mosque will automatically result in the domination of America by Muslims (despite them being only a measly 0.7% of the US population). I agree that the mosque may not be being built in the right place, and it may even be a little insensitive, but that doesn't change the fact is a faith group exercising their Constitutional rights of freedom of religion and freedom of property. I also find it ironic that some of the most vocal supporters of gun ownership in the US because of the 2nd Amendment, are also willing to ignore what the Constitution says on freedom of religion.

Upvote 0
T

The Lady Kate

I agree that there are many people willing to build the mosque. The 'hardhats' have a right to voice their opinion, but they do not have a right to not do the job they're paid to do.

Well, that's why they're not being paid for it...

You have to understand, this is just a fluff piece from people pledging not to accept the contract if they're offered it.

I also find it ironic that some of the most vocal supporters of gun ownership in the US because of the 2nd Amendment, are also willing to ignore what the Constitution says on freedom of religion.

I find myself wondering if anyone's going to use the 2nd amendment to override the 1st.

Upvote 0