Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Stop thinking for yourself!

These four words are helping spread vaccine misinformation - CNN

CNN doesn't want you doing your own research....after all, they think you're too dumb to do your own research.

It's nice to see CNN outright admit this is what they think of their readers.

They aren't alone though....

Opinion | Don’t Go Down the Rabbit Hole

Stop thinking critically! That's just going to lead you to more lies. The NYT knows that their readers don't need to think critically....they can't do it right anyway.

Personally, I think both CNN and the NYT have nothing to worry about. Their audience doesn't do their own research and definitely stopped thinking critically years ago. On here, I've seen multiple posters reject any story that comes from a source even mildly right leaning....despite the facts being verifiable. It happened twice to me in one week.

Thoughts?

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m not surprised. The media in the United States has been trying hard to scare people away from critical thinking, using their senses to observe what is going on in the world, and making up their own minds about political and cultural trends for years now.

I am convinced that a part of staying sane and thoughtful is to completely tune the media out. Be a media hermit. Actual journalism died decades ago. Now the TV and our smartphones, social media and search engines think for us.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,509.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Dunning Kruger.

I would bet my tent trailer that NOBODY who has ever said to me "Do your own research" did their own research. And that's at least in part because the people who do actual research don't yell at people to go do the research.

Those people telling me did their own casual, light reading to get angry.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
"The problem is that most people simply don't know how to do their own research, especially when it comes to understanding the complexities of medical science."

This seems to be the jest of the article.

CNN doesn't want you doing your own research....after all, they think you're too dumb to do your own research.

Stop thinking critically! That's just going to lead you to more lies. The NYT knows that their readers don't need to think critically....they can't do it right anyway.

Personally, I think both CNN and the NYT have nothing to worry about. Their audience doesn't do their own research and definitely stopped thinking critically years ago. On here, I've seen multiple posters reject any story that comes from a source even mildly right leaning....despite the facts being verifiable. It happened twice to me in one week.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Look into this, people. I am seeing more and more of Beijing-think being adapted and utilized by our own television channels, “news sources”, and social media platforms.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thoughts?

They have said this sort of thing before. Like when Hilary's emails were hacked and released to the public, I seem to recall them saying something like this. I wish I could I find a video clip but what I recall they said/implied that the public did not have the legal or constitutional right to read them. (Which is false, we have the Freedom of Information Act for that). But they somehow did being the press etc. So their message is don't read them, we will read them doing our job, and if there is something really important in there we will tell you.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

Thoughts?

Lots of opposing (or even mildly differing) views on this subject are being censored all over social media. What are they afraid of, I wonder?

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Yep switching the news off is what we all should do. Its all negative anyway. They cant manipulate those who aren't listening.
I think the last time I watched the news was when Biden was elected. And I don't follow magazines much. So, I concur. It's all just fear mongering and manipulation from both sides of the political divide.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Lots of opposing (or even mildly differing) views on this subject are being censored all over social media. What are they afraid of, I wonder?
I don't think it's fear so much as controlling their narrative.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,509.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
'The scans show small areas of necrotising tissue that are surrounded by anaplastic cells. It's likely to be a glioblastoma and we need to operate immediately'.

'Thanks, doc. I'll get back to you once I've done my own research and I'll let you know what needs to be done. If I could just ask what 'necrotising' means?'

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟276,187.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

The misinformed providing information to the gullible that is actively harmful on either individual or a collective basis.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
The misinformed providing information to the gullible that is actively harmful on either individual or a collective basis.

Some of it may be perhaps, but who decides? The 20 year old YouTube intern?

Or maybe, just maybe, people can make their own decisions for good or for bad.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,509.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I agree. And I did my own research on covid. That is, I read what the medical experst recommended. And then made a decision.

I think the op is more warning people not to go any deeper than that. None of us (as far as I know) have any qualificiations that would enable us to do research in any great depth. I'd hazard that most of us - including me, wouldn't have the best idea as to how to even start or where to go to get unbiased information that we could actually understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m not surprised. The media in the United States has been trying hard to scare people away from critical thinking, using their senses to observe what is going on in the world, and making up their own minds about political and cultural trends for years now.

I am convinced that a part of staying sane and thoughtful is to completely tune the media out. Be a media hermit. Actual journalism died decades ago. Now the TV and our smartphones, social media and search engines think for us.
And yet here you are.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Look into this, people. I am seeing more and more of Beijing-think being adapted and utilized by our own television channels, “news sources”, and social media platforms.
But you said you weren’t consuming that stuff. So how do you know?

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Obviously, scientists should decide what is correct in scientific fields?!

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Obviously, scientists should decide what is correct in scientific fields?!

Because scientists all agree with one another on everything? Is it also the job of scientists to crush any opinions or views that differ from theirs regardless of how wise or ridiculous? And who decides whether or not a given scientist, especially one under employment of say, big pharma, or perhaps a major tobacco, or some corporation like Exxon, and the like, are going to be presenting the rest of us with good science or with the "science" that they are told to give us by their employers? I just don't know if that 20-year-old YouTube intern has been trained to make these sorts of decisions on behalf of the other people who aren't even given a choice.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,509.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Because scientists all agree with one another on everything? Is it also the job of scientists to crush any opinions or views that differ from theirs regardless of how wise or ridiculous? And who decides whether or not a given scientist, especially one under employment of say, big pharma, or perhaps a major tobacco, or some corporation like Exxon, and the like, are going to be presenting the rest of us with good science or with the "science" that they are told to give us by their employers? I just don't know if that 20-year-old YouTube intern has been trained to make these sorts of decisions on behalf of the other people who aren't even given a choice.

If it's a medical decision then why not go with the chief medical officer for your state/country. If you are concerned that they may be being influenced by the state/country government, then check other states and countries which have governments that lean the opposite way to yours. If there's consensus, then you have your answer.

An engineer for an aeronatical company may say that their plane is safe. But I'd prefer to listen to the Civil Aviation Authority. And if they say it's safe as do the equivalent bodies in a dozen other countries, then I'm buying me a ticket. Who on earth does their own research on aircraft safety? Or cars? Or bridges? Or cancer cures?

Or covid...

Last edited:
Upvote 0