Oct 2, 2020
✟608,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see anything unmasculine about being artistic.

Yeah, it is more than a bit toxic. You and I were discussing Japan... well, disdain for the arts isn't associated with masculinity in Japan. All those samurai spent most of their days practicing flower arrangements and having tea ceremonies.
Trying to make a living out of being artistic is often a vain pursuit is the point I was making. That and all the unused art degrees tax payers are supposed to pay off the student loans for.

Masculinity is a natural trait of being a man. Just as femininity is a natural trait of being a woman.

What could be called toxic (although that's a rather melodramatic way of putting it) is machismo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Trying to make a living out of being artistic is often a vain pursuit is the point I was making.

See... that's where I don't think you would understand what really makes something like Japanese culture distinctive. Valuing activity solely for practicality in terms of material production is predominantly the result of a certain religious ethos, namely Anglo-American Protestantism. Whereas Japanese culture has the concept of mono no aware, "the feeling of things". That isn't considered vanity in Japanese culture, in fact appreciation of mono no aware is considered a mark of refinement or sophistication.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,406,110.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Oh no! That's toxic masculinity! Jimmy needs to become an emasculated snowflake.
You just refuse to see what is happening to the little Jimmies out there. Case in point. I know a little Jimmy who is gay. Little Jimmy was trying to be responsible,accountable, and disciplined. He worked mowing lawns in the Summer. Some "masculine man" raped little Jimmy. It happens all of the time. That is how little Jimmy became an "emasculated snowflake".

Upvote 0