Salt Lake City
✟11,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There is no such a thing as a next number. What do I mean by that? Let's use 1 as an example. 1 does not have a number that is next to it. You might think 2 is the next number, but 1.5 is actually in between them. You might think 1.5 is the next number, but 1.25 is between them. This goes on infinitely for every number.

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,049.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
And yet, there is a sequence created that goes 1 2 3 4 5...

So what if there's actually an infinite number of half numbers between each whole number? There is still a sequence of sequential numbers created by Arabic scholars and mathematicians in the 10th century AD. Why? Because it's easy and simple.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There is no such a thing as a next number.

It's important to define "number", as there are different sets of numbers.

The integers have the property that each number has a unique successor. The natural numbers {0, 1, 2, 3, ...} also have this property.

The rational numbers and the real numbers do not have the unique-successor property. As you point out, between any two rational numbers, there is another rational number, and between any two real numbers, there is another real number.

Upvote 0

Farid7

Sep 12, 2023
Salt Lake City
✟11,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
And yet, there is a sequence created that goes 1 2 3 4 5...

So what if there's actually an infinite number of half numbers between each whole number? There is still a sequence of sequential numbers created by Arabic scholars and mathematicians in the 10th century AD. Why? Because it's easy and simple.

I was just thinking about how time seems to increment by going to the next number, but there is no such a thing as the next number.
It's important to define "number", as there are different sets of numbers.

The integers have the property that each number has a unique successor. The natural numbers {0, 1, 2, 3, ...} also have this property.

The rational numbers and the real numbers do not have the unique-successor property. As you point out, between any two rational numbers, there is another rational number, and between any two real numbers, there is another real number.
I am talking about all numbers.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,049.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I was just thinking about how time seems to increment by going to the next number, but there is no such a thing as the next number.

I am talking about all numbers.

Yes, that might be true, but it's also to say that a system of sequential numbers, or real numbers as was pointed out before, allows to go from one number to the next in sequence.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
There is no such a thing as a next number. What do I mean by that? Let's use 1 as an example. 1 does not have a number that is next to it. You might think 2 is the next number, but 1.5 is actually in between them. You might think 1.5 is the next number, but 1.25 is between them. This goes on infinitely for every number.
Zeno’s Paradox with numbers?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,273.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You need to investigate the difference between natural numbers and real numbers.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Farid, you say there's no such thing as a next number, then you proceed to give more next numbers that only infinity can hold.

What gives here?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟278,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mathematicians are very fastidious when it comes to terminology, in this case “next”.

The correct term is "nearness” as will become evident.
In mathematical lingo there is the expression.

Lingo.gif

Translating into English means there is a point “a” near the set X if there exists an element x in the set X where the distance between x and a is less than some distance r which can be infinitesimally small.

In this case r is a positive real number which is classified as follows.

real.png

In this example point A is near the set denoted by the coloured region.

GraphA.png

In this example the point B is not near the set.

GraphB.png

The concept of nearness can be extended to continuous functions.
For example the function y = x² is a continuous function as each successive value for the real numbers x is near each other.

Graph2.png

The function y = 1/x on the other hand is discontinuous at the point x = 0 as there is no positive or negative real number for x which is near x =0

Graph1.png

The bottom line is numbers can be near or next to each other.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,089.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm always bemused by the term Pi,which is an irrational number yet we use it all the time for circles and trigonometry.

We can draw a circle and yet the diameter which is 2 * pi * r could not be exactly pinned down as to it's length as pi is irrational.

Pardon the obtuse Pi symbol but I didn't know how to insert the symbol in the same size as the text.

Attachments

• 1695176473276.png
    1695176473276.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,273.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm always bemused by the term Pi,which is an irrational number yet we use it all the time for circles and trigonometry.

We can draw a circle and yet the diameter which is 2 * pi * r could not be exactly pinned down as to it's length as pi is irrational.

Pardon the obtuse Pi symbol but I didn't know how to insert the symbol in the same size as the text.
In the book Contact by Carl Sagan, our hero (heroine in the film, which has a different ending), is given a message by some alien intelligence to 'search pi'.

Spoiler alert: He does this by running a very powerful computer 24/7 to look for anything unusual in the sequence of numbers. Which is known not to repeat. After quite some time (it might have been years I think) he is deeper into the number than anyone has ever been. And then the computer signals him. It has found a sequence that repeats.

He examines it and discovers a run of 8,100 numbers that repeat endlessly. He eventually recognises the number as the square of 90. So he plots the numbers out on a grid 90 x 90. There seems to be nothing there. Yet there are a lot more uneven numbers than even. So he assigns a zero to the even numbers and a 1 to the odd. When he shows that on the screen, it shows a shape. Yeah, a circle. Hidden in the maths of a circle is the shape of the circle itself. Somebody had designed circles.

I remember reading that line and the hairs stood up on the back of my neck.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,089.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He examines it and discovers a run of 8,100 numbers that repeat endlessly....

Does Pi include a sequence of "8,100 numbers that repeat endlessly?" or did Carl Sagan undertake some artistic licence in the story?

Newcastle University had this to say about it.

There were some interesting tidbits -

For example, at position 768 in the pi digits there are six 9s in succession.

Apparently they call that the Feynman point after the famous physicist.

At position 17,387,594,880 you find the sequence 0123456789

But I presume you might have known that after checking every digit to position 17,387,594,880 when you had a bit of spare time?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,273.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Does Pi include a sequence of "8,100 numbers that repeat endlessly?" or did Carl Sagan undertake some artistic licence in the story?
Sagan made it up. In fact, I reckon he might have thought of the idea that then built a story around it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟278,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you set r at whatever value you want to set your own terms for "nearness"?
The criteria for nearness require the distance between a unique point x in the set X and a point “a“ outside the set such that the distance |x-a| < r.
This means all other points xₖ in the set meets the requirement |xₖ-a| ≥ r.
As long as these requirements are met r can be any positive value.

The example using the graph y = 1/x doesn’t meet the nearness requirement as the line x = 0 is a limit.
The graph gets closer and closer to x = 0 as | y | approaches infinity which means there is no unique value for x that is nearer to x = 0 than any other value.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟278,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You seem to have a strong mathematical base. Do you have qualifications in mathematics, teach mathematics or work in some mathematical field?
Academically my field is in applied mathematics but employed as a scientist in private industry requiring very little maths but lots of physics and engineering.

The maths in this thread required pure mathematics which I did as an undergraduate.

Upvote 0