Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just what was Jesus talking about in Matthew 16 when He said there were people there that would not taste death "until they see the Son of Man coming in His Kingdom.”

27 aFor the Son of Man is going to come with bhis angels in the glory of his Father, and cthen he will repay each person according to what he has done.

28 Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not dtaste death euntil they see the Son of Man fcoming in his kingdom.”

Was He talking about 70 ad when the temple was tore down and Jerusalem was scattered to the world?

Last edited:

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Stephen saw the Lord in His glory right before Stephen tasted death.

John saw - in vision - much of KINGDOM COME when he was on isle of Patmos.

At least those two are among the ones "standing there" who saw Christ come in His kingdom.

Whether the "70 AD" comes into play as well, I dunno.

Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The answer is found in the beginning of the next chapter. The Apostles Peter, James and John are the ones who saw Christ's Kingdom when Christ was transfigured in front of them.Of course they were not the only ones. Many other Saints had similar experiences ever since, I mean the vision of Christ's Divine Glory, His Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,814.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus did say that 'this' generation will not pass:

Matthew 24:34
34 Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away till all these things take place.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just what was Jesus talking about in Matthew 16 when He said there were people there that would not taste death "until they see the Son of Man coming in His Kingdom.”

27 aFor the Son of Man is going to come with bhis angels in the glory of his Father, and cthen he will repay each person according to what he has done.

28 Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not dtaste death euntil they see the Son of Man fcoming in his kingdom.”

Was He talking about 70 ad when the temple was tore down and Jerusalem was scattered to the world?

We know that certain persecutors of Christians tried to kill the disciple John and he could not die, and yet John had a revelation or vision of seeing the Son of Man coming in His Kingdom (i.e. the 2nd Coming). This revelation or vision was written down for us to read about.

Praise the Lord!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I believe so.

"Son of man" points back to Daniel chapter 7 --->

Daniel 7:13-14
As my vision continued that night, I saw someone like a son of man coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient One and was led into his presence.

He was given authority, honor, and sovereignty over all the nations of the world, so that people of every race and nation and language would obey him. His rule is eternal--it will never end. His kingdom will never be destroyed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Daniel chapter 12 is also relevant:

v 7 ~ When the shattering of the holy people has finally come to an end, all these things will have happened.

and Jesus said when that would be (recorded in Luke 21:22):

For those will be days of God's vengeance, and the prophetic words of the Scriptures will be fulfilled.

Temple Destruction Foretold ~ Luke 21
(Matthew 24:1-4; Mark 13:1-9)

5As some of the disciples were remarking how the temple was adorned with beautiful stones and consecrated gifts, Jesus said, 6“As for what you see here, the time will come when not one stone will be left on another; every one will be toppled.”

7“Teacher,” they asked, “when will these things happen? And what will be the sign that they are about to take place?”

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Perhaps:
Luke 9:27 says, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God." See also Matthew 16:28 and Mark 9:1 for the parallel quotes. In each of the synoptic Gospels, the next event immediately after this promise from Jesus is the transfiguration. Rather than interpreting Jesus' promise as referring to His coming to establish His kingdom on earth, the context indicates that Jesus was referring to the transfiguration. The Greek word translated "kingdom" can also be translated "royal splendor," meaning that the three disciples standing there would see Christ as He really is—the King of heaven—which occurred in the transfiguration.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Something else related to this that I found interesting is looking into what's said in Leviticus about the temple cleansing rituals performed by the High Priest (which, in cleansing the temple, Jesus was making the claim - rightfully so - that He was High Priest).

This article, I think, is a great explanation of all that ....here:

We discussed the idea of “visitation” earlier in reference to the phrase “the present time” (Luke 12:56) as well as the phrase “the time of your visitation” (19:44). In both cases, we saw how both the context and the time reference itself require that the warnings have to pertain to the generation of people to whom Jesus’ spoke then. Here I would like to expand on the theological concept of “visitation” and how it relates to what Jesus did immediately after He used the phrase. This in turn will relate directly to the leveling of the temple that Jesus had just predicted as He wept over Jerusalem: “your enemies will . . . tear you down to the ground . . . And they will not leave one stone upon another in you, because you did not know the time of your visitation” (19:43–44). ~ https://americanvision.org/4162/jerusalems-time-of-visitation-luke-1945-46/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Another source:

I understood the “coming of the Son of Man on the clouds of heaven” (24:30) to refer to the Lord’s coming in judgment upon Old Covenant Israel in AD70. But what I missed for years was that “clouds” was not only a metaphor for judgment, but for the glory and presence of Yahweh throughout the Old Testament. In this video we clearly demonstrate that Jesus used the metaphor of “clouds” in both of these ways. His “coming” in Mathew 24 was his coming to both judgment and save Israel, at the end of her Old Covenant age in AD70. ~ https://reformedeschatology.com/mathew-24-part-84-coming-on-the-clouds-in-vengeance-salvation/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps:
Luke 9:27 says, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God." See also Matthew 16:28 and Mark 9:1 for the parallel quotes. In each of the synoptic Gospels, the next event immediately after this promise from Jesus is the transfiguration. Rather than interpreting Jesus' promise as referring to His coming to establish His kingdom on earth, the context indicates that Jesus was referring to the transfiguration.

Wait.....This Context?:

27 For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done. 28 Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Aren't you Divorcing the "coming" in verse 28 from the context of the "Coming" in Verse 27?

Where does scripture teach you to do this?

Or, asre you contending that Jesus "repaid everyone according to what he has done" at the Transfiguration?

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The answer is found in the beginning of the next chapter. The Apostles Peter, James and John are the ones who saw Christ's Kingdom when Christ was transfigured in front of them.Of course they were not the only ones. Many other Saints had similar experiences ever since, I mean the vision of Christ's Divine Glory, His Kingdom.

Jesus doesn't say since, He clearly says (Standing Here) meaning those of that time, that Generation.

Mat. 24:34
Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wait.....This Context?:

27 For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done. 28 Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Aren't you Divorcing the "coming" in verse 28 from the context of the "Coming" in Verse 27?

Where does scripture teach you to do this?

Or, asre you contending that Jesus "repaid everyone according to what he has done" at the Transfiguration?

You forgot a couple things. I prefaced the posting with "perhaps" meaning a possibility

Also, You forgot this part that is the explanation of the possibility.

The Greek word translated "kingdom" can also be translated "royal splendor," meaning that the three disciples standing there would see Christ as He really is—the King of heaven—which occurred in the transfiguration.

We know this:

the Son of Man is going to come (2nd coming - this hasn't happened yet)
until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.” (2nd coming - this hasn't happened yet)

"Or, asre you contending that Jesus "repaid everyone according to what he has done" at the Transfiguration?"

I did not say nor imply this. ^^^^^

Upvote 0

Seville90210

Psalm 118:26
Aug 4, 2018
Los Angeles
✟22,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I believe so.

"Son of man" points back to Daniel chapter 7 --->

Daniel 7:13-14
As my vision continued that night, I saw someone like a son of man coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient One and was led into his presence.

He was given authority, honor, and sovereignty over all the nations of the world, so that people of every race and nation and language would obey him. His rule is eternal--it will never end. His kingdom will never be destroyed.

Jesus gave a warning. Don't speculate like Gary DeMar unless you want to risk losing it all.

Matthew 13:10-13 New Living Translation (NLT)
10 His disciples came and asked him, “Why do you use parables when you talk to the people?”

11 He replied, “You are permitted to understand the secrets of the Kingdom of Heaven, but others are not. 12 To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given, and they will have an abundance of knowledge. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them. 13 That is why I use these parables,
For they look, but they don’t really see.
They hear, but they don’t really listen or understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We know this:

until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.” (2nd coming - this hasn't happened yet)

Do you believe THIS coming of the Lord has already happened or are we still waiting for it?:

"When the Lord therefore of the vineyard comes, what will he do unto those vine-growers? They said unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will rent out his vineyard unto other vine-growers, who shall render him the fruits in their seasons. Jesus said unto them, Did you never read in the scriptures, 'The stone which the builders rejected, this became the chief corner stone: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?' Therefore say I unto you, the kingdom of God shall be taken away from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits of it. And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder. And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they understood that He was speaking about them." (Mt 21:40-45)

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you believe THIS coming of the Lord has already happened or are we still waiting for it?:

"When the Lord therefore of the vineyard comes, what will he do unto those vine-growers? They said unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will rent out his vineyard unto other vine-growers, who shall render him the fruits in their seasons. Jesus said unto them, Did you never read in the scriptures, 'The stone which the builders rejected, this became the chief corner stone: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?' Therefore say I unto you, the kingdom of God shall be taken away from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits of it. And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder. And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they understood that He was speaking about them." (Mt 21:40-45)

This is what I said:

If it hasn't happened yet .... then it is yet to come and we are waiting for it.

• Haha
Reactions: ICONO'CLAST
Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

That is exactly what he was talking about

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You forgot a couple things. I prefaced the posting with "perhaps" meaning a possibility

Also, You forgot this part that is the explanation of the possibility.

The Greek word translated "kingdom" can also be translated "royal splendor," meaning that the three disciples standing there would see Christ as He really is—the King of heaven—which occurred in the transfiguration.

I'm simply wondering where the Bible teaches you to divorce this coming:
27 For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.

From This coming in the very next verse:

28 Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

As I understand your position, in these two back to back verses, Jesus MUST be teaching that these two comings are wholly and completely separate events from one another.

I'm simply wondering where you are finding the scriptural instruction to completely divorce these two back to back "coming" verses, uttered By Christ himself in direct, immediate sequence, from one another?

Upvote 0