There are only 8 Orthodox Churches in my whole state.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why are there so few Orthodox churches as compared to other Churches dotted all over the landscape? Is there any particular reason? There seems to be fewer Orthodox Churches as compared to others. This is something I have always been curious about. Is there a reason why?

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟69,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What state are you in? A lot of Orthodox churches were founded by immigrants so they tended to be localized in areas with Eastern European immigration. So areas like Chicago have a ton of Greek parishes. Alaska is mainly Russian. North Dakota was probably mainly German immigrants so just not that many Orthodox people to form a parish. This is a map of ND and SD of Orthodox parishes.

1678831217384.png

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What state are you in? A lot of Orthodox churches were founded by immigrants so they tended to be localized in areas with Eastern European immigration. So areas like Chicago have a ton of Greek parishes. Alaska is mainly Russian. North Dakota was probably mainly German immigrants so just not that many Orthodox people to form a parish. This is a map of ND and SD of Orthodox parishes.

View attachment 329044
I’d rather not give my location but your explanation makes sense. I wish there was one closer in my area.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟69,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’d rather not give my location but your explanation makes sense. I wish there was one closer in my area.
Finding an Orthodox parish can be a long drive in the plains and mountain states or even in rural areas of more populated states. Even starting missions can be a task just to find enough people to start one up. When I was a Lutheran, I was a part of a mission church in far eastern Cincinnati which finally folded after about 5 years. But you could throw a rock in any direction and hit a Baptist church.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Finding an Orthodox parish can be a long drive in the plains and mountain states or even in rural areas of more populated states. Even starting missions can be a task just to find enough people to start one up. When I was a Lutheran, I was a part of a mission church in far eastern Cincinnati which finally folded after about 5 years. But you could throw a rock in any direction and hit a Baptist church.
Lol. Exactly. Same here as far as the Baptist Churches!

Upvote 0

coorilose

Mar 7, 2023
Florida
✟12,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why are there so few Orthodox churches as compared to other Churches dotted all over the landscape? Is there any particular reason? There seems to be fewer Orthodox Churches as compared to others. This is something I have always been curious about. Is there a reason why?
how far is it to your closest?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
google assembly of orthodox bishops, they have a parish directory. there might be one closer to you.
Thank you! I’ll look tomorrow. I have to go out of town to take my mother to to the doctor early. I’ll let you know what I find.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Assembly of Bishops directory has its flaws, like not being updated since 2018.

However, if you have Google Earth I can send you a map I made last year during Lent of every canonical Orthodox parish in the USA, Canada, and Mexico that I could find that at least had a name, bishop, and a city where it was located.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I did look up Assembly of Orthodox Bishops and did not find anything different that I had previously seen. I’ll check out the other sites mentioned. Thank you @ArmyMatt for asking about mom. She has been going downhill since she lost her husband last May. She has been losing her eyesight and that was what the appointment was for today. I think I am going to get her up here where I’m at to live with me in the next couple of weeks or so.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The reason is schism and heresy. If there weren't schisms and heresies, all churches everywhere would be canonically Orthodox.

• Useful
Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In addition to the previous remarks, Orthodoxy is relatively new to America (except in areas like Alaska). Until recent times, Orthodox parishes typically, perhaps always, were directly under the oversight of the countries (regions) that the immigrants came from. By the time we started having more Orthodox parishes, America was full of other Protestant and Catholic Churches.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0