Oct 30, 2004
Visit site
✟13,811.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
What is Theophostic Prayer Ministry?

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This section does not provide a “how to” of administering this ministry approach but rather a general overview of some of the basic premises.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Theo (God) Phostic (light) is a Biblically based approach to prayer ministry that is Christ centered and God reliant for its direction and outcomes. IT IS NOT RECOVERED MEMORY THERAPY (RMT). Simply stated, it is leading a person to the feet of Jesus through prayer and allowing the Holy Spirit to reveal His truth to the wounded person’s heart and mind.[/font]

Found that on the website but I am not to sure as I have never heard of them or this practice. God can certainly bring to light repressed memories but you must proceed carefully if you get involved with this ministry because it sounds kinda strange.

Here is a study that critiques this:

http://www.cefcelverson.org/theophostic.htm

Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
Thank you. I am very leary of this and frankly it makes me a little ticked that someone would even think that the grief and pain of losing my daughter would some how magiclly disappear. Honestly, God allowed my burden so that I could carry it, be moulded by it, be changed by it and minister with it. It seems to me that if we try to erase our burdens then God does not get the glory.

GEL

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

kidsminister

Mar 8, 2004
✟8,419.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Many Christian counselors have been using the method of Theophostic Counseling for years - before someone gave a name to it.

My husband and I have actually both been the recipients of such counseling.

Basically, it's a counseling session that revolves around prayer. As a previous post states, it is NOT recovered memory therapy. In the instances where I received this counseling, the memory was already very much at the forefront of my mind.

It was a moment where the devil planted a lie in our mind and we began believing that lie. What theophostic counseling does is sheds the light of God on that particular situation - you and the counselor pray together for the lie to be brought into the light. Then you pray and ask Jesus to show you where He was in that situation. If, as Christians, we believe that Jesus is everywhere, then He was somewhere during that time.

Once we realize that Jesus was there and what He was trying to say to us during that time, then we can pray and God will break the power of that lie over our lives. Part of it is our responsibility, too - we need to choose to forgive the person who hurt us and was essentially used by the devil to deceive us.

It is Biblically based, though I don't have the Scripture references right in front of me now. I would encourage you to take any critiques you read with a grain of salt. I have read many such critiques on the Internet, and most do not accurately describe theophostic counseling.

As I said, someone just put a name to what Christian counselors have been doing for years. For a description of this type of counseling without the label, read Leanne Payne's The Broken Image, which deals with her work in counseling people who have struggled specifically with sexual sins.

But it works no matter what your "issue" is...

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I'm so sick of Christian "how to get closer to God by using this magic formula" websites, books, tv shows and radio programs.

Just pray the way you talk, have a conversation with God, be relational and you will have the best prayer life in the world.

God wants us to cultivate and maintain a relationship with him, and that doesn't come by following some method, it doesn't even come from praying, sometimes a relationship can grow even in silence, especially if talking means repeating some person's formula and not simply "being there" with God.

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

kidsminister

Mar 8, 2004
✟8,419.00
Faith
Pentecostal
lambslove said:
I'm so sick of Christian "how to get closer to God by using this magic formula" websites, books, tv shows and radio programs.

Just pray the way you talk, have a conversation with God, be relational and you will have the best prayer life in the world.

God wants us to cultivate and maintain a relationship with him, and that doesn't come by following some method, it doesn't even come from praying, sometimes a relationship can grow even in silence, especially if talking means repeating some person's formula and not simply "being there" with God.

Theophostic counseling/prayer is not a "magic formula to get closer to God." It is a method used by Christian counselors to help clients who come to them for help.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Theophostic Prayer Ministry believes a person's primary present emotional pain comes from the misinterpretations (lies) learned during life experiences and not from the memories of these events themselves. For example, a child feels shame not because his father divorced his mother but because he may believe it was his fault (the lie). When I have negative emotional response in the present, it can almost always be traced back to an earlier event. In this earlier event there will be a belief that was established from which this negative emotion is rooted. My present feelings are generally indicative of what I believe.

What a crock! A child feels shame when his parents divorce because even children understand that a family is a mother AND a father and that their family chickened out on the tough parts of marriage and life and gave up. Children understand that divorce is unnatural and they are ashamed that their family is unnatural. It certainly tries to let the parents off the hook for their sins against the child and each other. The ugly divorce, including the screaming, the blaming, the selfishness and the pain of being torn apart isn't to blame for junior's emotional scars, his mistaken notion that he did something wrong is what hurts him. The divorce was all right and even in the child's best interest.

Here's a news flash, anytime we defy God's order of things, including divorce, there is going to be pain. God set up his commands to spare us from the pain. No child is going to go through a divorce without feeling abandoned, hurt, severed from the normal way of being, and that is what causes the pain. The idea that the pain is caused by misinformation is foolishness!

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
The Theophostic Ministry is not a cult. It is a ministry that is digested or added to an already existing ministry for the purpose of healing past emotional pain that stems from believing lies in ones life. The main problem with this ministry is it’s not based on Biblical truth. Its founder Dr. Ed Smith developed this process after receiving new revelation from God. Though Dr. Ed denies this new revelation on his website he said in one of his books, “I do believe that God provides His Church with new insight in new methods and applications of leading people to Jesus and into healing." (Genuine Recovery, p. 6) Again he didn’t get this idea from the Bible but by new insight or revelation.

Theophostic Ministry presents an unscriptural view of the Christian life, it doesn’t hold onto the sufficiency claimed by scripture, it displays a superficial view of sin, a distorted view of the doctrine of man, brings a person back into past trauma to work through it, and they misuse scripture in support of their teaching. In sessions people can hear or visualize and experience things that are very similar to visualization in the occult. So in a nutshell people should stay away from Theophostic sessions and churches that encourage it.

Here is one example of how TPM failed:

"In 1991, I was fighting in the Gulf War. The guy next to me, my tent-buddy, was killed while we were attempting to extinguish an oil well fire. We didn't have the knowledge, experience, manpower or equipment to do the job, but our CO sent us out to try to do it anyway. My buddy was killed when piece of machinery crushed him. He died a slow and agonizing death while we struggled to free him from a machine we knew nothing about. Years later, the image of my friend's death haunted my daydreams and my nightmares. Someone suggested TPM, and I tried it. I was in a lot of emotional pain. The counsellor gave me this stuff about the pain coming from misunderstandings I had about my buddy's death. He said that I was in pain because I blamed myself for not saving my buddy. It isn't true, though. I don't blame myself, I blame the fact that we didn't know what we were doing in a situation we couldn't have made an impact on to begin with. Who killed my friend? It wasn't me, I already knew. So the counsellor said that I was in pain because I believed the whole military system was evil. I told him I didn't believe that at all, that military is necessary. Not a necessary evil, just necessary. Finally he asked my where I thought my nightmares were coming from, and I told him it was because of the screams of my friend, whenever I hear a teakettle or a wailing siren or a child playing, I hear my buddy dying. Then he said that he just figured out that I was in pain because I misinterpret those sounds to be the suffering of my friend. I told him I thought those sounds upset me because they reminded me of a real event, a painful event, not because I think a baby's cry is my friend dying all over again. Three hundred dollars poorer, I figured out this TPM had nothing to offer but psychobabble. I hurt because my friend was dead, not because I misunderstood the event of his death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kidsminister

Mar 8, 2004
✟8,419.00
Faith
Pentecostal
lambslove said:
It's still a method. :(

What makes theophistic prayer so superior to ordinary prayer?

Just so I know where you're coming from...Are you opposed to the idea of a Christian seeking counseling?

Theophostic counseling is not "superior to ordinary prayer," nor is it a "special" way to pray at all.

It is a tool used by some Christian counselors in their sessions with their clients. Like Rorschach ink blots. Like a couch. Or whatever method a psychologist or counselor chooses to use in order to help his or her client with what they are seeking help for.

I don't pray "theophostically" in my private prayer life. I simply communicate with my Lord and Savior.

Upvote 0

kidsminister

Mar 8, 2004
✟8,419.00
Faith
Pentecostal
lambslove said:
The idea that the pain is caused by misinformation is foolishness!

I'm sorry you feel that way. However, my husband is a completely different man (for the better!) due to theophostic counseling. In his case, much of his pain WAS, in fact, caused by lies that he chose to believe as a kid while he was being abused and neglected by just about everyone in his family.

Because of what that method of counseling has done for him and for our marriage, I would recommend it to anyone - provided that the counselor has gone through the proper training and knows what he or she is doing.

Upvote 0

kidsminister

Mar 8, 2004
✟8,419.00
Faith
Pentecostal
lambslove said:
Here is one example of how TPM failed:

"In 1991, I was fighting in the Gulf War. The guy next to me, my tent-buddy, was killed while we were attempting to extinguish an oil well fire. We didn't have the knowledge, experience, manpower or equipment to do the job, but our CO sent us out to try to do it anyway. My buddy was killed when piece of machinery crushed him. He died a slow and agonizing death while we struggled to free him from a machine we knew nothing about. Years later, the image of my friend's death haunted my daydreams and my nightmares. Someone suggested TPM, and I tried it. I was in a lot of emotional pain. The counsellor gave me this stuff about the pain coming from misunderstandings I had about my buddy's death. He said that I was in pain because I blamed myself for not saving my buddy. It isn't true, though. I don't blame myself, I blame the fact that we didn't know what we were doing in a situation we couldn't have made an impact on to begin with. Who killed my friend? It wasn't me, I already knew. So the counsellor said that I was in pain because I believed the whole military system was evil. I told him I didn't believe that at all, that military is necessary. Not a necessary evil, just necessary. Finally he asked my where I thought my nightmares were coming from, and I told him it was because of the screams of my friend, whenever I hear a teakettle or a wailing siren or a child playing, I hear my buddy dying. Then he said that he just figured out that I was in pain because I misinterpret those sounds to be the suffering of my friend. I told him I thought those sounds upset me because they reminded me of a real event, a painful event, not because I think a baby's cry is my friend dying all over again. Three hundred dollars poorer, I figured out this TPM had nothing to offer but psychobabble. I hurt because my friend was dead, not because I misunderstood the event of his death.

This is an example of a counselor who was not doing it correctly. The counselor is never supposed to interpret what you are feeling. They are supposed to be there as a "coach," as someone there for you to talk to while YOU figure it out. That holds true for any type of counseling/psychology/whatever!

The above example should not be taken as proof that it does not work; only that the person was unfortunately paired with a counselor who was not doing a good job!

P.S. I'm not trying to debate in my posts...just trying to clear up some misunderstandings regarding theophostic counseling. I know that there is a stigma in the Christian church that is attached to getting counseling of any kind. We tend to feel that plain, old-fashioned prayer and the Word should be enough. But many times it's not, and I'd rather seek mental/emotional help from someone who holds the same world view as me!

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
kidsminister said:
Just so I know where you're coming from...Are you opposed to the idea of a Christian seeking counseling?

Why would you jump to that conclusion? I think valid counselling is good, but these fad remedies are bogus and dangerous. A few years ago, I had a friend that had a terrible marriage, and she went to "repentence counselling." Her "counsellor" told her that she needed to repent of ALL her own sins, individually and completely, AND the sins of her parents, grandparents and great grandparents, and if she missed even ONE sin, she would be bound to satan's power forever. This was allegedly a Christian counsellor. She went for help on how to deal with her moody husband and got this gobbletygook. Sadly, since she couldn't repent of every sin (she didn't even know every sin), the counsellor couldn't help her and she ended up divorced. I wish she had gone to a real counsellor and not a gimmicky one that ran with every fad, because her husband was a basically good man and they could have healed their marriage. I know it's easier to deal with people who think all counselling is bad (because you can just dismiss anything they say), but don't automatically jump to that conclusion just because it makes you feel better about what you are believing in.

Theophostic counseling is not "superior to ordinary prayer," nor is it a "special" way to pray at all.

It is a tool used by some Christian counselors in their sessions with their clients. Like Rorschach ink blots. Like a couch. Or whatever method a psychologist or counselor chooses to use in order to help his or her client with what they are seeking help for.

Ink blots and couches haven't been used for 50 years. I hope your counsellor isn't stuck in the dark ages of psychology!

I don't pray "theophostically" in my private prayer life. I simply communicate with my Lord and Savior.

It's all just another gimmick, one that appears to be highly discredited, not only by theologians and pastors, but by genuine Christian counsellors alike. Why get involved in pseudopsychology when good counselling works so much better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
lambslove said:
Why get involved in pseudopsychology when good counselling works so much better.

Amen! I think its Sooooooooo wrong to even concieve that we as christains should not feel pain. We are molded and shaped by the transgressions in our life. In these moments, we are closest to our Lord. Why take that away with some magical prayer? If you "desensitize" the person from the pain, how can God really work in thier life?

Upvote 0

MbiaJc

Veteran
Jul 9, 2004
Bowdon, Ga.
✟2,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
GreenEyedLady said:
What is this?????????
http://www.theophostic.com/

Does anyone know anything about this?
I am very confused with a person I know that keeps pushing me to do this? What is it?

GEL

Sister all you need, is what you already have. The Holy Spirit to teach and guide you. God is not so narrow minded that we haft to pray\say a prayer in a certan way\words for Him to hear and answer. He already knows what we stand in need of before we ask.

The scriptures says that money, or the love for it, is the root of all evil. And that what them people are all about, something------they clame-------- better for the Christians prayer life, that they can sell to line their pockets.

Upvote 0

kidsminister

Mar 8, 2004
✟8,419.00
Faith
Pentecostal
lambslove said:
Why would you jump to that conclusion? I think valid counselling is good, but these fad remedies are bogus and dangerous. A few years ago, I had a friend that had a terrible marriage, and she went to "repentence counselling." Her "counsellor" told her that she needed to repent of ALL her own sins, individually and completely, AND the sins of her parents, grandparents and great grandparents, and if she missed even ONE sin, she would be bound to satan's power forever. This was allegedly a Christian counsellor. She went for help on how to deal with her moody husband and got this gobbletygook. Sadly, since she couldn't repent of every sin (she didn't even know every sin), the counsellor couldn't help her and she ended up divorced. I wish she had gone to a real counsellor and not a gimmicky one that ran with every fad, because her husband was a basically good man and they could have healed their marriage. I know it's easier to deal with people who think all counselling is bad (because you can just dismiss anything they say), but don't automatically jump to that conclusion just because it makes you feel better about what you are believing in.

Ink blots and couches haven't been used for 50 years. I hope your counsellor isn't stuck in the dark ages of psychology!

It's all just another gimmick, one that appears to be highly discredited, not only by theologians and pastors, but by genuine Christian counsellors alike. Why get involved in pseudopsychology when good counselling works so much better.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was not trying to start a debate, but rather share my experience and knowledge of theophostic counseling.

Some of your posts seemed to indicate that you did not believe that Christians should seek professional counseling. I am sorry if I misinterpreted that.

I used the examples of ink blots and couches to illustrate that they have been methods used by psychologists in the past. I provide administrative support to three licensed psychologists - I am not completely ignorant regarding trends in psychology ;) .

Psychology and counseling can be subjective. Each counselor has a method that works best for him or her. Visualization is a technique that is used often in therapy. In my opinion and experience, theophostic counseling is basically the "Christian" version of that technique. If done correctly, it can be extremely effective.

I realize that many pastors, counselors and the like have objected to this particular form of counseling. But many are also in favor of it. In fact, licensed Christian counselors have been using similar techniques for years. Someone just packaged it and put a name on it, and therein lies some of the controversy.

The person who counseled my husband is a "real" psychologist, BTW, and like I said, helped him tremendously through theophostic

I am not going to change my mind and say that it is a fad, or that it is not a legitimate form of counseling, because I have seen and experienced the positive results of it firsthand.

Nor are you going to change your position and say that it IS a legitimate form of counseling.

There is no eternal significance to either of our positions. I was simply trying to provide the OP with a positive review of this method of counseling.

Have a great life...God bless you :) .

Upvote 0

Cright

Veteran
Apr 18, 2004
SE Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟17,849.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I listened to an interview on the Bob Dutko Show (www.thelight.com) theophostic prayer. It was one of the founders of the "theophostic prayer ministry" or somthing like that. It was a few months ago.

Anyone ever heard of "Landmark Forum" aka "Landmark Education Corporation"

It was a spin off of Werner Erhard's "est" aka "Erhard's Seminar Training", est also means "it is" in latin.

Anyway, if you do a google search for the name Werner Erhard, you'll see how I feel about all three, the difference is that the Theophostic Prayer Ministry is a God-centered version of the other two.

I don't like any of them, but if someone wouldn't settle for anything less than a "formulated method" I hope they'd do more God centerered one I guess.

my $.02

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.