How important is the study and challenge of theological concepts to you?

• Very important

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Mildly important

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not very important

• Not important at all

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pokeli

Jun 6, 2018
Indianapolis
✟8,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

I'm currently an theology undergraduate and because I'm interested in research and teaching at the collegiate level, I'm looking at graduate programs after I earn my bachelor's. I live in Indiana and I'd prefer not going too far from the state (my family is here). I've been looking at Xavier, Missouri State, and Christian Theological Seminary in Indianapolis.

I wanted to get some input from the community for how I should approach looking at programs, which programs you recommend/don't recommend, and anything I should know before entering into this journey?

Thank you!

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The Biblical language coursework is always the big challenge. I don't personally think studying the Hebrew is all that important but a lot of schools require it, particularly Protestant schools. With Catholic schools, you have to really look at the core requirements of the program. Some Catholic schools bog you down with hours upon credit hours of canon law, which is probably not something you have a great need for in a Presbyterian context.

As with many other things, certain schools have more prestige value if you are aiming to break into academia. You might consider giving Asbury down in KY a hard look. There's also Concordia Ft. Wayne and Bethany in your home state. Those three all have good reputations and place a lot of people into academia.

Upvote 0

Pokeli

Jun 6, 2018
Indianapolis
✟8,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
As with many other things, certain schools have more prestige value if you are aiming to break into academia. You might consider giving Asbury down in KY a hard look. There's also Concordia Ft. Wayne and Bethany in your home state. Those three all have good reputations and place a lot of people into academia.

Thank you Shane! I'll definitely take a look at all three of these

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The study and challenge of theology is very important to anyone being challenged in theology for the simple reason that God is requiring it of you by posing the challenge to start with. Because of that I believe that the responsibility also lies with Him to fill in the context of truth behind any conviction one may have, in any way possible. The best way I have found is thru word studies using bible and concordance, plus evaluating commentaries to help align beliefs with what other's have learnt on the subject. That's a lifetime of learning that won't get anyone jobs except the one's God sends one on that have an eternal benefit.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm doing undergrad in Psych right now, planning on taking it to grad study in Theology for college professorship, so I'm interested to see what comes up on this thread. I'm also from Indiana, so we might cross paths some time!

A lot of very good Catholic speakers & theologians have come from Franciscan University of Steubenville (Ohio).

In response to a post I had, asking the same question, someone sent me a link about an Orthodox university in New Jersey that only charges $1,050 per year. http://tahos.org/tuition-fees/

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
A lot of very good Catholic speakers & theologians have come from Franciscan University of Steubenville (Ohio).

In response to a post I had, asking the same question, someone sent me a link about an Orthodox university in New Jersey that only charges $1,050 per year. Tuition & Fees – The Antiochian House of Studies
A Catholic school much closer to IN than Franciscan of Steubenville is Lourdes University in Sylvania, OH. It's run by some Franciscan nuns.

If you attend TAHOS and are not Orthodox, you will be under constant pressure to convert.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
A Catholic school much closer to IN than Franciscan of Steubenville is Lourdes University in Sylvania, OH. It's run by some Franciscan nuns.

If you attend TAHOS and are not Orthodox, you will be under constant pressure to convert.
Good information, thank you.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I've talked to a lot of people about this, seen a lot of posts about it here, and one of the best pieces of advice I've ever received is this:

The path to theology is on your knees.

Any field, you're reliant on God, but Theology more directly than anything else. Remember that this is all God's will, all in His hands, and despite all the unease you'll feel, everything's going for Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums